E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help: leopard print white residue

05-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Unhappy Help: leopard print white residue

Hi there,

First time i've come across this problem on my car... just gave it an APC pre-wash and then used Gtechniq's Gwash (2 bucket method)

After drying the car I noticed on the bonnet and boot lid, a sort of leopard print effect that has a white hue to it. I tried rinsing again then drying as well as using QD but it wouldn't shift.

I then gave up and in a couple of small areas I rubbed it with my fingers and it seems to come off a little. Similar story on the other panels but they only have the residue on them not the leopard print.

Does anybody know what it could be? Is it residue left behind from the APC or Gwash? Might I have used too much shampoo?

I've uploaded a couple of pics below - one is altered to make it a bit clearer

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
OP, your car turning into Leopard, be ready

Now on serious note, Zach A Pro detailer can help you here, he runs a thread here and you ask him and he will be glade to help you.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1196641&page=5
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
OP, your car turning into Leopard, be ready

Now on serious note, Zach A Pro detailer can help you here, he runs a thread here and you ask him and he will be glade to help you.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1196641&page=5
Haha

Thanks mate, have contacted him on that thread now!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

First some questions...

- Was the vehicle completely cool to the touch prior to rinsing, using APC, or washing?
- Why the need for an APC Pre Soak in the first place?
- How long did the APC sit on the car before rinsing?
- What APC and what dilution?
- Did you let the soap sit on the car long enough to dry when you were washing?
- What dilution of shampoo did you use?
- Have you tried rewashing the car?

I am interested in why the spots that look like water spots are darker, and the film residue appears to be everywhere else. Kind of odd.

In any case, I would first begin by washing the car again with warm water. Fill your wash bucket up with warm water... as hot as you can stand without burning yourself... then add shampoo and wash the car. Always work in the shade when the vehicle is completely cool to the touch and do not allow the shampoo to dry on the car while you are working. Immediately rinse each section after washing, and keep the car wet while you are working to avoid water spotting. I would try this ASAP as I would imagine the residue will be easier to remove now rather than later.

If the wash does not work, we will have to consider other potential solutions ranging from various chemicals to machine polishing.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Zach,

Many thanks for a super fast response.

Yes completely cool to the touch prior to doing anything - learnt from past mistakes.

APC pre soak as I don't have snow foam or a pressure washer just a hose, so use it as a means to lift an initial layer of dirt and grime from the car.

I'm sure I made a huge mistake with the APC - I applied a 'ready to use' household APC called Dettol straight outta the bottle. I've used Dettol APC before without issue but this was an entirely different product and I didn't think to change my method of application at the time. Whilst I wouldn't call it concentrated, it was a fairly neat solution. It sat on the car for about 5-7 mins.

Yes, having read your method there I must have let the soap dry on the panels as I didn't immediately rinse each section.

No, I wasn't able to wash the car again (I have injured my back so was pushing it just doing the first wash...)

Annoyed with myself as I realise how stupid I've been. Guess I'm still learning not to do this on impulse!

I'll have to re-assess the situation next time I wash it. Either way, the car does need a good machine polish anyway as it's full of swirls, scratches and a whole lot more.

Also to pick up on your point - I was interested in the spot pattern. Really not sure why it turned out like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

For future reference, a pre-soak is not at all required... nor is a pressure rinse or foaming. Rinsing with a hose and then washing with a quality shampoo is all that is truly needed.

If the vehicle is VERY dirty, I mean like chunks of mud and what not stuck to the paint, then perhaps consider a pressure wash first, but I doubt an E92 goes off road much

I would shy away from household chemicals on your car unless it specifically says it is safe for automotive use. Manufacturers like Meguiar's and P21S have chemicals that are sold specifically for use on cars should you need something.

Never let any chemical, whether it is just soap or a heavier cleaner, dry on your paint or it will likely cause staining. Heck, even just water will cause staining.

Hopefully you can get the stains removed without much trouble.

Best of luck.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com

Last edited by Detailed Image; 05-26-2016 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's interesting, I've been told a few times that it's essential but will definitely take your advice on board. And well you got me there, I usually save my Rolls Royce for those Dakar rally trips

Point noted and well taken, it's certainly not worth the few pence saving given the unpredictability of its behaviour!

Really appreciate your help Zach, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
That's interesting, I've been told a few times that it's essential but will definitely take your advice on board. And well you got me there, I usually save my Rolls Royce for those Dakar rally trips

Point noted and well taken, it's certainly not worth the few pence saving given the unpredictability of its behaviour!

Really appreciate your help Zach, thank you!
So, OP from now on, Your nick name is Dettol Warrior
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:14 AM   #9
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So, OP from now on, Your nick name is Dettol Warrior
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
OP, by the way, did you recognize the guy in pic?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 01:11 AM   #11
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OP, by the way, did you recognize the guy in pic?
The dettol pic? Can't say I did!

BTW update : I used some dodo juice paintwork cleanser which did a great job of removing the residue and patchiness left behind by the apc and some of the old water spot marks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
The dettol pic? Can't say I did!

BTW update : I used some dodo juice paintwork cleanser which did a great job of removing the residue and patchiness left behind by the apc and some of the old water spot marks
yes that dude in Dettol cartoon pic...good to hear that you fixed the issue, by the way do you follow cricket?
Appreciate 0