XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

Leather Dash option – opinions?

Most of the auto-show pix we’ve seen include at least one car with the optional leather dash. It looks awesome, but I have a few concerns.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-x6-1/533359/full/

Has BMW ever offered this option before? I don’t see it as an option even on the current 7-series; is it?

Has anyone heard when it will be available to order? Most literature now just says ‘delayed availability’. Does anyone have an idea of the price for the option?

What about fading? Especially with the dark leathers; is sun fading, or UV damage (drying / cracking of the leather) a bigger concern than with other dash materials?

I know several cars by Porsche and other exclusive manufacturers come with leather dash coverage. Do we have any of those owners on our forum that can comment on the topic??

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

You sure that's an option? All X6s come with stitching around the dash. If there is a leather option, this is the first I heard of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Leather dash is an option (in the UK and Europe), but I don't think we've seen a published price yet. We do know that it will be expensive. On the M5 or M6, the extended leather option (i.e. full leather) costs $3500 in the US or £5500 in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

I’m pretty sure that it will be a stand-alone option. The US brochure shows two separate options:
• Nappa Leather upholstery – optional
• Nappa Leather dashboard and center console – optional (delayed availability).

Of course this same wonderful document shows under Exterior listings:
• Rear-window wiper / washer with adjustable wiping interval – STANDARD.

Now personally, I have not seen a single picture of any X6 with a rear window wiper – so maybe these brochures are a bit ‘preliminary’.

Suzie’s Dad: weren’t you told that the only way to order the Nappa leather was to order the ventilated seats as well?? The brochure does not show anything but Nevada Leather as being perforated… so why would they tell you that?

Perhaps the upgrade to Nappa leather will include the leather dash?? But that option was only $1000. I doubt that would cover the increased costs for all seat coverings PLUS the dash…

Shenard – you posted the options prices – do you know anything on the leather dash option???
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
I’m pretty sure that it will be a stand-alone option. The US brochure shows two separate options:
• Nappa Leather upholstery – optional
• Nappa Leather dashboard and center console – optional (delayed availability).

Of course this same wonderful document shows under Exterior listings:
• Rear-window wiper / washer with adjustable wiping interval – STANDARD.

Now personally, I have not seen a single picture of any X6 with a rear window wiper – so maybe these brochures are a bit ‘preliminary’.

Suzie’s Dad: weren’t you told that the only way to order the Nappa leather was to order the ventilated seats as well?? The brochure does not show anything but Nevada Leather as being perforated… so why would they tell you that?

Perhaps the upgrade to Nappa leather will include the leather dash?? But that option was only $1000. I doubt that would cover the increased costs for all seat coverings PLUS the dash…

Shenard – you posted the options prices – do you know anything on the leather dash option???
Nappa Leather dash was not an available option when I got the initial option packages from the dealer and according to my dealer Nappa Leather Seating is ONLY available WITHOUT the ventilated seats. They told me if you want the ventilated seating you cannot get Nappa Leather.

I will be at the dealer on Wednesday and will find out if anything has changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
DallasBeemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i Vermillion Red

Shenard - see if you can find out if they'll have the X6 at the Dallas Car show in April. They still were uncertain when I ordered mine a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBeemer View Post
Shenard - see if you can find out if they'll have the X6 at the Dallas Car show in April. They still were uncertain when I ordered mine a few weeks ago.
I hope they have one because I was planning on attending. If I had to guess I would think they will because the US launch date is only two weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
morty: BMW Canada seems always to be last to the post, so my dealer still has NO info on the X6 except for a couple of internal sales brochures. BMW's Canadian website still has NO info on the 1-series, the new M3, or the X6, except for a couple of teasers. My order was based on an estimate of the base price in Canada of the X6 xDrive50i (jeez, do we really have to call it that?) using the same package and option prices as for the X5. In fact, it is not even a proper order, it is merely me giving the dealer a deposit to get put on his wait list. Very frustrating when some other countries have full configurators on the websites.

Re: Leather dash. Has anybody here ever had one of these? It seems to me to be asking for fading problems, not to mention the hefty cost. But it would sure feel nice when new.

Re: Rear wiper. Yikes. You are way more observant than me! I even sat in one at the car show and forgot to see if it had a rear wiper. I hope it does; that rear window is going to get awfully dirty.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
davett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Huracan,'11 1M, '10 GT-R

Garage List
2010 Nissan GT-R  [8.40]
2008 M3  [0.00]
2009 Carrera 4S  [0.00]
2007 Porsche  [0.00]
Quote:

Most of the auto-show pix we’ve seen include at least one car with the optional leather dash. It looks awesome, but I have a few concerns.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-x6-1/533359/full/

Has BMW ever offered this option before? I don’t see it as an option even on the current 7-series; is it?

Has anyone heard when it will be available to order? Most literature now just says ‘delayed availability’. Does anyone have an idea of the price for the option?

What about fading? Especially with the dark leathers; is sun fading, or UV damage (drying / cracking of the leather) a bigger concern than with other dash materials?

I know several cars by Porsche and other exclusive manufacturers come with leather dash coverage. Do we have any of those owners on our forum that can comment on the topic??

Thanks,
I've had the leather dash on my 996 and 997 turbo and never had a problem.
Appreciate 0