E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > bought auction car - where do I stand??

05-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
bimmaguy
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 730d M Sport

bought auction car - where do I stand??

Hi

I just bought my next BM but through an auction (online).

I bought it through a friends account online by bidding on a live auction.

I did a very quick basic check of mot and mileage through the dvla site and was happy and the auction do not put outstanding finance cars through and would state if it was a repaired car.

Anyway now that i bought and paid for it and pending pick up i revisited the mot dvla website and missed a glaring issue with mileage!!

it failed its last mot due to tyres but passed a few days later but the problem is the mileage when it failed was 78,550 and when it passed showing 58590 a difference of 20,040 miles.
You would have thought an MOT station would know the mileage when it failed a few days earlier as this gets recorded?

now im thinking the mot place could have simply made a mistake and put in a 5 as opposed to the 7 but if this is the case how do i go about rectifying it?

ive contacted Manheim and they've said the the mileage was not warranted so basically cant do anything. although it only stated not warranted on the invoice and cant remember seeing it on the description before the auction.

Secondly it has no service history so could nothing to compare it with.

But on the description sheet it said 'waiting on information' under the service history section but did not state NO SERVICE HISTORY like they do if a car definitely has no history.

Also during the auction i've heard many auctioneers clearly state when a car has no history as this obviously has a bearing on its value and at no point did the auctioneer state the vehicle has no history and i honestly thought there would be service history be it they are waiting on it!!

Any advice what I can or cant do in this situation??

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

From what you've said and without looking at the Ts&Cs and advert, I'd say not much.

The car was possibly clocked in between tests rather than a mistake. It could've had a different tester and they may have just checked what mileage the car said.

With regards to the history, if it didn't say it had it then again, not much you can do.

The saving factor would be the amount of saving you made over buying from a dealer or private.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
bimmaguy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bear_Yid View Post
From what you've said and without looking at the Ts&Cs and advert, I'd say not much.

The car was possibly clocked in between tests rather than a mistake. It could've had a different tester and they may have just checked what mileage the car said.

With regards to the history, if it didn't say it had it then again, not much you can do.

The saving factor would be the amount of saving you made over buying from a dealer or private.
weird thing is why would you clock a car after its failed its test?? surely anyone with half a brain would have done it before putting it through an MOT in the first place? doesnt make sense to get it clocked and take it back 2 days later!! hence im thinking/hoping its an error.

as for service history i really do think they been really sneaky on this?!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Did you buy the car with 58590 or 78,550 miles? If it was advertised with the former you have reasonable grounds for complaint, but if it's the latter it would appear the mot tester made a typo and you got what you paid for?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
bimmaguy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100
Did you buy the car with 58590 or 78,550 miles? If it was advertised with the former you have reasonable grounds for complaint, but if it's the latter it would appear the mot tester made a typo and you got what you paid for?
Bought With 81k on it
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

So either way you've got a better deal than you thought!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
bimmaguy
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100
So either way you've got a better deal than you thought!
Not really as IF it has been clocked then any future potential buyer will be put off as it clearly shows the discrepancy on the mot history.

Secondly if it has been put back 20k then technically it's done 101K?

So can't see how I'm better off?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Can you request a photo of the odometer?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #9
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

You could speculate all day on whats happened. The MOT mileage could just be a mistake.

From the auction sites I've looked on, it's always been very clear that you're buying the car as is. I'd consider it lucky to have S/H with one, some I've seen don't have two or even one key, or V5. 'Waiting on info' doesn't mean there could be S/H imo.

I went to an auction when I was considering it as an option to get a feel for it. The risk didn't warrant the reward. I even over heard someone from a famous BMW dealer (with a big thread on here) say there was nothing there suitable to buy. Judging by the reported quality of the cars they sell, this further put me off.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #10
Pp4811
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

On the history issue, if you speak to bmw UK with the reg and chassis number they will give you all the services carried out by them. Alternatively the key can be read by any bmw dealer.
If you've paid a good price for it I don't think it's a problem really. I've seen many mileage inputted incorrectly, it's basic human error.
Stop worrying and unless it's a dog when you see it be happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:42 AM   #11
whizzkid11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320D LCI Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaguy View Post
it failed its last mot due to tyres but passed a few days later but the problem is the mileage when it failed was 78,550 and when it passed showing 58590 a difference of 20,040 miles.
It looks like it could well be a typo.... 5 instead of 7 or other way around.

How long ago was the MOT done and have you checked the MOT history?

MOT History Check

T&Cs wise, a lot of the auctions will say, mileage unwarranted unless otherwise stated. Look at the auction catalogue to see what mileage and condition was published.