THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Black touch-up paint for side mirror?

05-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Black touch-up paint for side mirror?

Okay, so on Sunday morning I was stuck in complete gridlock due to something called 'Bay to Breakers' -- an annual free-for-all loosely resembling a running race/event. Northern California folks know of what I speak.

Anyway, traffic on a relatively narrow street was totally stopped in both directions, and some a-hole in a Mini Cooper decides that his little ride can navigate the narrow middle of the street between me (totally stopped) and the car heading the other direction (totally stopped). I started honking as he crept past me, but, alas, his right side mirror clipped my left one. He hit the accelerator and sped around the corner. I made a note of his license number, and was thinking police report. Turned out though that the scuff was confined to a relatively small (fingernail-sized) area on the edge of the lower (black trim) part of the mirror. Any recommendations on touch-up paint for this?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

I think it's painted Jet Black. Just buy a kit from drcolorchip.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/select-model.php
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

You may be able to polish out the scratch if it isn't too deep. I scratched my black trim when removing the OEM silver mirror covers. I got out the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish and with about 10 minutes of hand rubbing got the scratch out. If your scratch is deep you may have to start with some 1200 grit sand paper and water, then switch to a scratch and swirl removing polish, like Meguiars Scratch X, and then to the Meguiar's Plastic Polish.
Appreciate 0