E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320d Not Cranking

05-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

320d Not Cranking

I wonder if someone can help point me in the right direction here:

I have a 320d E92 Auto with the N47 engine

Very occasionally, usually after the car has been driven and is fully warm I'll get back in it and it refuses to crank, its done it twice in about 6 weeks and in each instance I've had to wait about 20-30 mins before I can get the car to crank

I've read the codes with INPA and get a "fehler_TRSP_Kommunikation" code which I know is Error and communication but my gut feel is the solenoid on the starter motor as last night it refused and after about 20 mins I hit the button and hard a slight crank and then on the next push it started normally almost like the starter had moved a tiny bit to where it makes contact and then starts

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 04:37 AM   #2
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I'd have thought a faulty starter solenoid would have raised a fault code, but it does sound like the starter not engaging.
      05-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

Do you hear the solenoid smack in ?. If you do hear it then its not the solenoid. next step is to check that the heavy duty cables to the starter motor and battery are making good contact. Same check on solenoid heavy duty cables.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Pre supply pump, fuel rail pressure would be where I'd kind of start to look if the cars not holding the correct fuel pressure it won't crank plus may be though not unheard of a crank sensor break down.
      06-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

Thanks for everyones advice, have today removed and replaced the starter motor, the power cable that feeds the solenoid was very badly corroded and the terminal solenoid itself was just spinning so could undo the bolt anyway.

Ended up having to cut the terminal off and replace with a new one.

There were no fault codes showing on either INPA or ISTA other than glow plugs (my next job)

The starter itself was easy to change but someone at BMW should have realised that sticking an electric motor next to a turbo without any heat shielding isnt a great idea and we're sure that contributed to the failure

Just need a hot day and some heavy traffic to get the engine bay really hot to confirm its problem solved !
Appreciate 0