E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 325i E92 feels sluggish

05-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Germanwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

325i E92 feels sluggish

Hi all,

New on here, have been on e46zone a few years back but took a break from forums.

Just picked up a 2007 325i e92, it feels a bit slow to me, not sure if It's just me as I've been driving the Mrs 3.0l x3 auto for a while and my last car was a turbo diesel which has a bit more kick.

I have INPA but for the life of me cannot remember how to use it!

Is the 325i known to be a bit slow or is this something I need to look into further.

Anyone local to Bournemouth able to help me remember how to use INPA
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:29 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Being 2007 your car probably has the N53B25-U0 engine which is only 2.5 litres (later 325i's were 3.0 litres) so less than 200 bhp. If the car's new to you, get the fault codes read and give it a full service (including new plugs and possibly coils) would be my advice...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
karlp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i SE

Might be coils, had the same issue with mine, it wasnt pulling after 3500 rpm. 1 new coil in 3 I think sorted it.
Get the codes read and that should give you a inclining.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

If you have the n53 3l lump a remap is an amazing fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Sambuca1
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
If you have the n53 3l lump a remap is an amazing fix.
Hey man. Have you had this done yourself??
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuca1 View Post
Hey man. Have you had this done yourself??
I have fitted the 330I inlet and remap but just a remap on a rolling road for the n53 engine gives you very good gains still.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 04:40 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
just a remap on a rolling road for the n53 engine gives you very good gains still.
Most re-mappers are claiming somewhere between 12-15 bhp gains for the N53 (without inlet manifold change). Hardly earth-shattering...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

I'm kind of assuming you've got an N53 spec 2.5 litre car so I'll kinda base what I'd say on it being one of these.

Remapping on these can make the car feel a bit more with it (you'll see perhaps on its own around 10-13 hp may be a tad more) the HP increase is nothing to write home about but the increase in drivability and torque are all the more welcome these can really transform the car and how it drives in day to day traffic, we've done a few and it does make a difference, however if it feels slow is it a mechanical issue or just you adapting to the car?

Its a tough one but you can start with the basics plugs/coils etc.at least they'll set that part of the system back to good health if you're in any doubt but sometimes it can be a little more deep routed than this.

For instance if the oils not reguarly changed you can get issues re the cars adjuser units over time where due to partial oil starvation(oils too thick and partially carbonised) they are not operating as they should or may be a tad lazy, this would't necessarily brong on an EML light but may well delever a more lazy response they can be checked of course to see if they are not 100% doing their job, we've seen them do this but the only way forward is to perhaps get the car checked out by some one in your area that is well versed in these cars. Usually post checking and ensuring everything is OK timing wise etc its worth actually at least getting all engine adaptations re set (if your's is an auto re set the box adaptaions too)

If an issue is recorded re crank cam correlation (several reasons for this taking place apart from what is described above)this can of course bring poor performance issus too which would kind of come under the adjuster unit umbrella.

Another area have seen on the odd car is down to the adjuster units on the N53 which are on the inlet side being a tad lazy there are 2 one sits on the outside of the manifold one sits on the inside if you follow me if one of these is slightly compromissed (carbon build up for instance) it can make the car feel a bit tardy. Sometime again not enough to bring any EML but enough to register a performance decrease and via a decent diagnostic checks some mixture related faults most likely re fuel trim.

Have a quick look at the cars exhaust tips too if they are black as then look at issue relating to the cars Nix Oxide side of things plus again if its slightly over fueling it'll be fairly unhappy so again although a light won't show it doesn't mean things are OK, over fueling a weak injector will all result in tardy performance and we've seen a good few of late.

Best advise I can give you is find a decent indy to put your mind at reast and get their opinion it may just be you getting used to the car but as I've seen in our place a good few times though no lights are present and you think all is well there may be an issue lurking.
      05-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Most re-mappers are claiming somewhere between 12-15 bhp gains for the N53 (without inlet manifold change). Hardly earth-shattering...
Bw chip tune are claiming around 30-40 Bhp and they have the dyno to back it up. It all comes down to the tuner knowing what they are doing and bw have a very high reputation with bmw.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
Germanwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Thanks for all the help! So far I pulled an exhaust vanos code so have taken out, cleaned and swapped the solenoids over and now have no more engine light, feels much better now but probably still not 100%, will go for the coils and spark plugs next with an oil change and see how that changes things.

Thanks for all the replies!
Appreciate 0