E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > LCI E90: Will a used RDC module need coding?

05-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Question LCI E90: Will a used RDC module need coding?

I'm thinking about testing my RDC module with a used unit; does anyone know if it will need coding?

I thought I had read in the past that it does not, but want to confirm.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Bumping this back up.

A little background: We had some heavy rain here, and my instrument cluster started to go haywire. After it finally cleared up over a couple days' time, the "TPMS malfunction" light stayed on. I cleared all the faults and that was the only one that remained (aside from a couple of unrelated ones).

I had a friend swap my RDC module into his car, and it immediately triggered a "Loss of communication" fault. So, I bought a new RDC module. I installed the module, but still have a "TPMS malfunction" issue.

The code is 604D - RDC control unit. I've run BMW's test plan against this code and it just wants me to try resetting TPMS in the iDrive, but it doesn't work.

Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver

Every major module in the car, I believe, has a vin number attached to it. Use INPA to scan the modules for the vin numbers and see if it has a different one attached to that module. You'll need Winkfp to change the vin number.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

I ended up getting a new module. It did need coding and was able to get it setup properly with NCSEXPER. Not sure if a used one would have needed it as it looks like I primarily had to set it up for "US" market vs "EU".
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I am trying to figure out how to code a new RDC unit my self that I just put in using NCSEXPER, can you give more detail on how you ended up doing that? Thanks
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

It's been so long, I've forgotten. But from what I can remember, it was a fairly simple change. I'll try and dig up what I can but it may be a while. I'll be your neighbor (Denver) in a few weeks though
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Thankyou!

I couldnt see the RDC module in the list of them in NCSexpert so I dont know if its hidden under some other module, or if I need to check the wiring because it should be showing up or what.

Welcome to Denver, from what I've seen most people who move here never want to leave, so I bet you'll like it.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
robself705
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 530xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary View Post
Thankyou!

I couldnt see the RDC module in the list of them in NCSexpert so I dont know if its hidden under some other module, or if I need to check the wiring because it should be showing up or what.

Welcome to Denver, from what I've seen most people who move here never want to leave, so I bet you'll like it.
I'm not able to see my RDC in NCSExpert either. I swapped for a new one after having TPM malfunction lights with a used module with the same part number. Were you able to figure out how to find RDC when it wasn't on your ECU list in NCSExpert?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robself705 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary View Post
Thankyou!

I'm not able to see my RDC in NCSExpert either. I swapped for a new one after having TPM malfunction lights with a used module with the same part number. Were you able to figure out how to find RDC when it wasn't on your ECU list in NCSExpert?

Thanks!
RDC settings are shared amongst various modules; KOMBI, CIC and DSC.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #10
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Bumping this back up.

A little background: We had some heavy rain here, and my instrument cluster started to go haywire. After it finally cleared up over a couple days' time, the "TPMS malfunction" light stayed on. I cleared all the faults and that was the only one that remained (aside from a couple of unrelated ones).

I had a friend swap my RDC module into his car, and it immediately triggered a "Loss of communication" fault. So, I bought a new RDC module. I installed the module, but still have a "TPMS malfunction" issue.

The code is 604D - RDC control unit. I've run BMW's test plan against this code and it just wants me to try resetting TPMS in the iDrive, but it doesn't work.

Any thoughts on this?
I know this is an old bump , but wanted to leave this for others in case they are searching for the same issue.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505738
Appreciate 1
musa423.00