BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > is a December allocation unrealistic?

05-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

is a December allocation unrealistic?

A dealer I'm talking to says that they'll have an allocation for me for either December or January which I'm fine with. Do you guys think they're full of it? I think it seems reasonable but I want people opinions who have already been through the process/ people who are where I'm at right now and what they are hearing. He also said it would take 8 weeks after the firm order is set to get the car. Is this true? I'm trying to have the car by late March '17.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

6-8 weeks is common for start of production until delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
6-8 weeks is common for start of production until delivery.
And if my allocation is for December when does production start? December?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3 View Post
A dealer I'm talking to says that they'll have an allocation for me for either December or January which I'm fine with. Do you guys think they're full of it? I think it seems reasonable but I want people opinions who have already been through the process/ people who are where I'm at right now and what they are hearing. He also said it would take 8 weeks after the firm order is set to get the car. Is this true? I'm trying to have the car by late March '17.

Thanks
The dealer I'm working with also said it generally takes about 8 weeks. Also, it looks like people one here who receive allocations don't start production until a couple months later. So if you get one in December, your car would start production in February and you'd take delivery about 8 weeks after that.

Certainly not to be a downer, but I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. They're probably estimating that they'll have an allocation by December/January. I only say this because based on information coming through the forums, it seems like dealers aren't notified how many slots they'll receive until the actual month they receive them.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It can certainly start as early as December, but lately the production start times have lagged by up to several months from order date.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcubs View Post
The dealer I'm working with also said it generally takes about 8 weeks. Also, it looks like people one here who receive allocations don't start production until a couple months later. So if you get one in December, your car would start production in February and you'd take delivery about 8 weeks after that.

Certainly not to be a downer, but I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. They're probably estimating that they'll have an allocation by December/January. I only say this because based on information coming through the forums, it seems like dealers aren't notified how many slots they'll receive until the actual month they receive them.
Quote:
It can certainly start as early as December, but lately the production start times have lagged by up to several months from order date.

If this were the case I would just go with ED. When do you have to notify the dealer that you want ED? When the order is placed? And don't you think they would ramp up production by the end of the year?
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Talk to your dealer about euro delivery before ordering.

BMW is planning on ramping up production at some point, but it's not clear if they can do that before year end as some factory changes need to be made first. I don't think these are major changes, but presumably the retooling would cause some disruption of an existing line for a period of time. If they are going to do it this year, it may be between June-July model year change, otherwise at end of MY17 production cycle. But that is just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Talk to your dealer about euro delivery before ordering.

BMW is planning on ramping up production at some point, but it's not clear if they can do that before year end as some factory changes need to be made first. I don't think these are major changes, but presumably the retooling would cause some disruption of an existing line for a period of time. If they are going to do it this year, it may be between June-July model year change, otherwise at end of MY17 production cycle. But that is just a guess.
Check is in the MAIL! Yep. Gonna start ramping up production any second now ... Yep. because we ummmm had all these uhhhhh ... Challenges... Getting production going .. And we hmmmmmm well.. We really kinda underestimated demand .. Because we *really* had just no clue this would be such a hit ... The 1M.. We thought it was a fluke, you see ... And so we are overwhelmed by the response ... And so now we are behind, but we are working hard to get more to market.... It is a great car isn't it ??!! . :bs:
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcubs View Post

Quote:

If this were the case I would just go with ED. When do you have to notify the dealer that you want ED? When the order is placed? And don't you think they would ramp up production by the end of the year?
Your dealer will put in three delivery pickup dates with your ED sales transaction. These dates are usually slightly over 90 days prior to your vehicle delivery. So, for example if you want a March euro delivery date, your vehicle allocation slot to the dealer will need to come available sometime around November.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Your dealer will put in three delivery pickup dates with your ED sales transaction. These dates are usually slightly over 90 days prior to your vehicle delivery. So, for example if you want a March euro delivery date, your vehicle allocation slot to the dealer will need to come available sometime around November.
Is there a limit to how long European delivery can be?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

You can do ED as soon as 6 to 8 weeks after you allocation spot. I ordered my M3 in the middle of August and took ED middle of October. The car completed production end of Sept.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola3
Quote:
Is there a limit to how long European delivery can be?
Your purchase gives you two weeks of auto insurance coverage in the EU. You can travel to any EU countries with your vehicle. However it is advised that additional licenses/permits/aka vignettes may be needed. ( Italy for example ).

You can extend the auto insurance coverage another two weeks at an added cost.

Beyond 1 month, I am not sure how this would or could be handled. The European delivery pages on Bimmerfest.com are an excellent resource for research as well as planning your itinerary.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your purchase gives you two weeks of auto insurance coverage in the EU. You can travel to any EU countries with your vehicle. However it is advised that additional licenses/permits/aka vignettes may be needed. ( Italy for example ).

You can extend the auto insurance coverage another two weeks at an added cost.

Beyond 1 month, I am not sure how this would or could be handled. The European delivery pages on Bimmerfest.com are an excellent resource for research as well as planning your itinerary.

Thanks for all the help guys
Appreciate 0