E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > OptiCoat vs. Wheel Wax for Wheels

04-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

OptiCoat vs. Wheel Wax for Wheels

Hey guys,

I'm a newb when it comes to this, but I am looking for something to protect/seal my new wheels with so that it makes it easier to clean them.

The wheels are Satin black (not sure if that matters in comparison to glossy wheels). Will OptiCoat and Wheel Wax have the same effect when it comes to cleaning? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

While it is true that each of the mentioned products serve the same purpose (to protect the wheels), they are completely different products.

Opti-Coat is a nano coating that will bond to the surface of the wheel to provide durable protection which lasts years in most cases rather than weeks or maybe months if you are lucky with wheel wax. Nano coatings are also much more chemical resistant and heat resistant which helps provide an all together better layer of protection than traditional waxes or sealants.

Opti-Coat, the product you mentioned, is only available through authorized professional installers and requires more prep work and time to apply than a traditional wheel wax or sealant.

There are many great consumer wheel coatings that you can purchase and apply on your own if you do not wish to hire a professional to do it.

Examples of wheel nano coatings available to consumers: CarPro DLUX, 22ple VM1 Extreme, GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor

Let me know if you've got any questions!

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

You can buy opti-coat here..

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/opti-coat.html#reviews

The d-bag owners of opti-coat did a ton of shady stuff at the end of 2014. Honestly Id buy a different brand. They all do the same thing really.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

That is not opti-coat... as I mentioned, Opti-Coat is only available through authorized professional installers.

The product you are referring to is Optimum Gloss Coat. This is their consumer grade coating product.

Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

I would also look into CarPro Hydro2 Lite. So fast and easy to apply.
      05-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
While it is true that each of the mentioned products serve the same purpose (to protect the wheels), they are completely different products.

Opti-Coat is a nano coating that will bond to the surface of the wheel to provide durable protection which lasts years in most cases rather than weeks or maybe months if you are lucky with wheel wax. Nano coatings are also much more chemical resistant and heat resistant which helps provide an all together better layer of protection than traditional waxes or sealants.

Opti-Coat, the product you mentioned, is only available through authorized professional installers and requires more prep work and time to apply than a traditional wheel wax or sealant.

There are many great consumer wheel coatings that you can purchase and apply on your own if you do not wish to hire a professional to do it.

Examples of wheel nano coatings available to consumers: CarPro DLUX, 22ple VM1 Extreme, GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor

Let me know if you've got any questions!

-Zach
Zach, will the fact that i have a satin finish matter in particular when using any of the products you mentioned or is it just as good on satin as it is on gloss clearcoat?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Zach, will the fact that i have a satin finish matter in particular when using any of the products you mentioned or is it just as good on satin as it is on gloss clearcoat?
We use coatings on satin and matte wheels all the time. It slightly darkens the finish, and in my opinion, really makes them look great!

The key is that you have to ensure you apply it evenly and then wipe away any high spots before they cure or else you may have a spot that is slightly shinier than the rest.

Here are a couple examples of satin wheels we have recently coated...

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
That is not opti-coat... as I mentioned, Opti-Coat is only available through authorized professional installers.

The product you are referring to is Optimum Gloss Coat. This is their consumer grade coating product.

Product Review: Optimum Gloss-Coat by Zach McGovern

-Zach
I understand that.. You used to be able to buy opticoat until 2014.. Anyone could but they took it away. What a shady ass company to take away their own product from consumers.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
I understand that.. You used to be able to buy opticoat until 2014.. Anyone could but they took it away. What a shady ass company to take away their own product from consumers.
Again, you're slightly mistaken.

There used to be 2 versions of the product... Opti-Coat Pro and Opti-Coat 2.0.

Opti-Coat 2.0 was available to consumers while Opti-Coat Pro was only available through authorized installers. Some detailers that were not Authorized Pro Installers were misleading customers by simply claiming they were "opti-coat installers" without clarifying that there was a pro version which was stronger and backed by a warranty. This was causing some major headaches among professional installers (I was one at the time). In order to help distinguish the professional products, Optimum stopped production of Opti-Coat 2.0 and replaced it with an updated version that was renamed to Optimum Gloss Coat. So, in reality they simply updated their consumer coating formula and changed the name... there were other changes associated with the professional program & installer requirements, but that is of no concern to consumers.

Hope that helps clear things up

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 01:52 AM   #10
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Again, you're slightly mistaken.

There used to be 2 versions of the product... Opti-Coat Pro and Opti-Coat 2.0.

Opti-Coat 2.0 was available to consumers while Opti-Coat Pro was only available through authorized installers. Some detailers that were not Authorized Pro Installers were misleading customers by simply claiming they were "opti-coat installers" without clarifying that there was a pro version which was stronger and backed by a warranty. This was causing some major headaches among professional installers (I was one at the time). In order to help distinguish the professional products, Optimum stopped production of Opti-Coat 2.0 and replaced it with an updated version that was renamed to Optimum Gloss Coat. So, in reality they simply updated their consumer coating formula and changed the name... there were other changes associated with the professional program & installer requirements, but that is of no concern to consumers.

Hope that helps clear things up

-Zach
Great explanation. Zach.

Its much like Cquartz and Cquartz Finest. The prep work and the overall process of the pro version is very labor intensive.
      05-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #11
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

plus 1 on Zach's comments,

Opti Coat was a different product offered only to pros that were authorized and trained to use it.

Opti Coat 2 and Opti Gloss coat are products for the diyers

I would agree poor marketing on Optimum though.
Appreciate 0