E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i mapping

04-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

335i mapping

Hello

I have been told that it's perfectly safe to map a 335i without the need for additional mods.

I'm a little old school when it comes to stuff like this and would ususaly go down the route of sorting a few bits such as exhaust and IC first.

So, is it possible to add these before the map or will it through the standard map out and cause me running issues unless I map the car to take into account the new mods.

Am I being too cautious...should I just map it lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

2007 manual with 52k on the clock
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

depends on the map. Look into JB4 and MHD. Search will be your friend in this instance.

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
abeardo83
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
After my track day the other day, I think i'd look in to a bigger oil cooler if i were to remap my car. After 5 laps in my un-mapped 335i, it was struggling due to overheating.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

There is a jb4 in the classifieds. Buy it and gain < 80HP. Completely transforms the car.

WM
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Tonnes of people run remaps, jb4s and MHD on standard cars with no issues.

Get it done
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #7
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile
There is a jb4 in the classifieds. Buy it and gain < 80HP. Completely transforms the car.

WM
Correct and I'm selling it - 15 minute install OP to much more power !
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

There's no issues at all either adding an exhaust or intercooler with no map but as others have stated just get a JB4 or remap either before or after the other additions and you won't regret it.
      04-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks

This JB4 map, is it the same as any other map!?!?

I guess i should google lol

On another note, after 24 hours of ownership it looks like my HPFP is about to go! lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #10
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

JB4 is a piggyback box that works a bit like a diesel tuning box, rather than a remap which actually reprograms the ECU.

Folk on here love them, despite the bodgery.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
imy
Captain
Rep

Ignore the above.

Again search will be your friend. It is a piggyback box but it's a very sophisticated one and in a league of it's own against other tuning box's.

Most of those state side have them as well as most here. Although Mhd is becoming more and more popular.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Why should he ignore it? Everything i said is fact.

You cant change the fact its a tuning box thats fiddling with the inputs and outputs of the ECU rather than properly tuning the ECU. It may be very sophisticated but its still a bodge.

Its good that folk are seeing the light with proper tuning rather than bodges.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
imy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Why should he ignore it? Everything i said is fact.

You cant change the fact its a tuning box thats fiddling with the inputs and outputs of the ECU rather than properly tuning the ECU. It may be very sophisticated but its still a bodge.

Its good that folk are seeing the light with proper tuning rather than bodges.
It's a sophisticated bodge?? Ok

Side question. Have you ever owned a 335i? With a jb4?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 02:23 AM   #14
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Every. Single. Thread.

The JB4 is a superb piece of kit. It may not tune the car like a conventional ecu flash, but it still gives the same control with built in failsafes. Along with constant updates and new features.
With new developments in the back end flash it is now prefered to mix the JB4 with a flash for the best of both worlds. But for a start out tune with no other mods, the JB4 is a perfect solution. Fit, set to map 1, forget.

Where are you ,op? We're a friendly bunch on here. There is bound to be a member close to you that can show you what it's all about.

WM
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:33 AM   #15
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well ofcourse its going to be every single thread, we need to ensure folk know there are better options out there than bodging things with a tuning box.

I'm not sure how anything i've said can be disagreed with.

It works by intercepting the signals to and from the ECU, and fiddling them to achieve the desired result. This is exactly what a diesel tuning box does. It may well be rather fancy and work quite well (as do some diesel tuning boxes), but its NOT the same as properly tuning the ECU, and thus its bodgery.

There is NO way the JB4 can be as sophisticated as the stock ECU is when it comes to controlling the engine correctly. Just becuase it gives you knobs and tweaks doesnt change that.

With a proper flash tune, removing the need for the JB4 to mess with the ECU's inputs and outputs, the JB4 does what exactly?

A stage one MHD flash takes minutes to install, requires no physical hacking with the engine loom, and is the correct way to tune the engine. I simply cannot understand how that isnt the default option.

If you want a basic no frills stage 1 tune, you dont need all the extra stuff the JB4 gives you. If you want to go big, the JB4 starts to become problematic because it cant properly control the engine, and thus you end up needing the back end flash anyway...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #16
imy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well ofcourse its going to be every single thread, we need to ensure folk know there are better options out there than bodging things with a tuning box.

It works by intercepting the signals to and from the ECU, and fiddling them to achieve the desired result. This is exactly what a diesel tuning box does. It may well be rather fancy and work quite well (as do some diesel tuning boxes), but its NOT the same as properly tuning the ECU, and thus its bodgery.

There is NO way the JB4 can be as sophisticated as the stock ECU is when it comes to controlling the engine correctly. Just becuase it gives you knobs and tweaks doesnt change that.

With a proper flash tune, removing the need for the JB4 to mess with the ECU's inputs and outputs, the JB4 does what exactly?

A stage one MHD flash takes minutes to install, requires no physical hacking with the engine loom, and is the correct way to tune the engine. I simply cannot understand how that isnt the default option.

If you want a basic no frills stage 1 tune, you dont need all the extra stuff the JB4 gives you. If you want to go big, the JB4 starts to become problematic because it cant properly control the engine, and thus you end up needing the back end flash anyway...

What experience do you have of a 335i and jb4? You keep regurgitating information. All of the above has been addressed in one thread or another yet because it doesn't satisfy your curiosity you continue with the perspective you have.

Yet I don't think you have any experience of an N54 or jb4. You offer a generic view and treat it against all tuning boxes.

Last edited by imy; 04-30-2016 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #17
Cerbera9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2007

I have a FBO 335i and use JB4 stacked with MHD and find the combination very good.

I think if I was starting again with a stock car I would go stage 1 MHD for its simplicity and easy of setup rather than JB4 .
Then once I had a few mods I would go stage 2 MHD and only after that add the JB4 at a later date as the mods and features of the JB4 were required.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #18
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Quote:

MHD isn't the correct way of doing it.
It's also a bodge

The correct way is a live map done by a proper mapper on a dyno.
All MHD does is flash a generic map into your car.

Map 5 of the JB4 uses the inputs from the ecu and changes the map accordingly.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The factory map is also a generic map. A generic map works fine, within certain bounds. Clearly if you want to eeke the maximum out of a particular setup, then a custom job is required, but for someone wanting a typical "stage 1" tune, which lets face it, is likely the majority of people, its no worse than the factory tune in terms of its genericness.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #20
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imy View Post
What experience do you have of a 335i and jb4? You keep regurgitating information. All of the above has been addressed in one thread or another yet because it doesn't satisfy your curiosity you continue with the perspective you have.

Yet I don't think you have any experience of an N54 or jb4. You offer a generic view and treat it against all tuning boxes.
I dont have any experience with the N54. I have a small amount of knowledge in tuning ECU's, and know how complex the workings inside something like a Motronic ME7.5 is as i've studied it for many hours for my own car. It's very sophisticated, with layer upon layer of checks and balances that all work together to ensure a safe, smooth, powerful engine. And the ME7.5 is a generation or two older than whats going to be powering the N54.

To provide an example, the Motronic ECU uses the various engine parameters, boost, fuel, airflow etc, to calculate EGT's and cylinder head temperatures. It then has enrichments that kick in when those temperatures get too high. This allows good fuel consumption by enabling leaner-than-ideal running at full throttle, but ensures that if the temperatures start getting out of control it'll take action to fix it. With a JB4 fiddling with the signals, none of that will work properly, because the ECU cannot see the real airflow/fuel/boost etc. You can argue the JB4 has protections, but i'm fairly sure they're nowhere near as sophisticated as what the ECU itself is doing.

I have a much older car i've fitted a hybrid turbo to that i'm about to have tuned, and even on that, worth many times less than a 35i, i wouldnt even dream of bodging up with a tuning box. It'll be going to a proper tuner, and will be getting the factory ECU properly tuned on a dyno.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #21
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

I always admired the JB4 for what it can offer but I can't get my head around its execution, I don't like the way it's installed and I'm not the biggest fan of how it goes about its business, but I cannot knock its enormous flexibility it offers and its really great VFM.

However I went for a re map personality for several reasons one of the main reasons is its working as one with the ECU in my car, tuning boxes for instance do fulfill a requirement and offer the user the option of removing selling on plus on the JB4 for instance you can update tunes, decrease power which offers far more flexibility than the one tune set up I have but having driven a good few JB4 equipped cars I prefer the way mine drives, but every time I want to alter say the power I've got to go through the whole process again whereas the JB4 equipped cars have a far simpler time of things.

I think the Cobb system offers vaguely similar flexibility re loading tunes though not quite so well 'supported' and as wide of variance if that's the right as the JB4.

I've heard loads re the various MHD flashes offered but have zero real knowledge of them really bsr what I read in here but I see vsrious post post flash re issues, but at least it offers the user more direction re individualising their cars. It's a personal thing which direction you opt to go for but as long as we're all content with our choices and why we chosen them then
      05-03-2016, 03:41 AM   #22
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Electronics; just signals going from A to B. Interception like JB4 does is perfectly legitimate IMO.

The huge advantage of the JB4 is the user base and how well tested it is. Compare that maps being sold all over the place that the installers really don't understand because they bought it from a company in Germany or something. Now multiply that by the amount of places offering "their own" maps worldwide compared to JB4 where your support is the people who developed it.

The DME in the 335 is ancient, any off the shelf processor would crush it. I'm surprised there aren't more ECU swaps or people doing the JB4 route but with something way more powerful as it is also very old these days.
Appreciate 0