BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Loudness of the stock exhaust

04-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Loudness of the stock exhaust

So...I was wondering if the M2 stock exhaust loudness is as same as M235i with performance exhaust maybe???
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Not even close. M2 is louder than M235i with MPE.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Woooo, that good? I'm so buying M2 once I save up some money then
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:25 AM   #4
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop View Post
Woooo, that good? I'm so buying M2 once I save up some money then
You may want to get on a list from now then.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 05:28 AM   #5
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Quote:
I wish they wouldn't do this. It's really going to piss my neighbours off every morning.

Clearly BMW seem to think everyone lives in detached houses with driveways, not terraced streets where you end up parking a few feet outside someone elses house.

If people want a loud exhaust they can go with the MPE or other aftermarket like Akro. Leave the stock car at a level that it doesn't wake the neighbourhood up.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #6
Jady Pham
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum-UK View Post
I wish they wouldn't do this. It's really going to piss my neighbours off every morning.

Clearly BMW seem to think everyone lives in detached houses with driveways, not terraced streets where you end up parking a few feet outside someone elses house.

If people want a loud exhaust they can go with the MPE or other aftermarket like Akro. Leave the stock car at a level that it doesn't wake the neighbourhood up.
or you can just get an M235i and leave the M2 for people who want and can appreciate the loud exhaust.

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, I will be making videos on the M2
Instagram: Tuphamous
Youtube: The Anatomy of Cars
Appreciate 3
      04-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
Chills
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 DCT

If it sounds anything like this in real life, I'll be a very happy boy.
Have a listen ~18 seconds in. Sounds mean.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum-UK
Quote:

Sounds like this isn't the car for you. Maybe you should give your spot to someone who is more appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Sounds like this isn't the car for you. Maybe you should give your spot to someone who is more appreciative.
Harsh. Maybe, if the majority of people like the exhaust, then BMW have done it right. The minority of people that do not (Like @Arcanum-UK) can swap it out for a quieter one. Of course, a baby kitten will die every time that happens, but hey, it's your car.
      04-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Pham View Post
or you can just get an M235i and leave the M2 for people who want and can appreciate the loud exhaust.
Quote:
I've got an M235i. I want the aspects that create a better car - handling, brakes, engine. The exhaust makes a fractional difference to power, just creates sound. Sure, that sound is nice, but not when it's anti-social. Anyone who isn't a car enthusiast looks at a loud car and thinks the driver is a twat. Anyone who lives on a terraced street with baby's and young children despise the owners of loud cars waking their kids up.

All BMW have to do is provide the MPE to those who wish to seek attention or really want the sound over everything else. For those buyers who value the handling, brakes, engine far more than the sound - IMO the real achievement of the M2 - then allow them to give up on that fraction of a percent of power from a more free flowing exhaust and have a quieter car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Harsh. Maybe, if the majority of people like the exhaust, then BMW have done it right. The minority of people that do not (Like @Arcanum-UK) can swap it out for a quieter one. Of course, a baby kitten will die every time that happens, but hey, it's your car.
Is that an option? I know it's not with BMW, but quieter aftermarket seems like a really niche market. Any links gratefully received!

(sucks for the baby kittens)
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Tbh I wouldn't even waste my money on a full aftermarket exhaust. Throw a downpipe on there and call it a day. I will probably do this later on and know it will sound just perfect.
      04-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #13
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:

Why are you considering an M car then?

It's not like being quiet was a selling point for past M's...
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum-UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Pham View Post
Quote:
I've got an M235i. I want the aspects that create a better car - handling, brakes, engine. The exhaust makes a fractional difference to power, just creates sound. Sure, that sound is nice, but not when it's anti-social. Anyone who isn't a car enthusiast looks at a loud car and thinks the driver is a twat. Anyone who lives on a terraced street with baby's and young children despise the owners of loud cars waking their kids up.

All BMW have to do is provide the MPE to those who wish to seek attention or really want the sound over everything else. For those buyers who value the handling, brakes, engine far more than the sound - IMO the real achievement of the M2 - then allow them to give up on that fraction of a percent of power from a more free flowing exhaust and have a quieter car.
Why should the majority of owners that want a louder exhaust be forced to pay more?
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Why are you considering an M car then?

It's not like being quiet was a selling point for past M's...
I know it is a real stretch, but maybe it is the improved... well... absolutely everything else - speed, feel, handing, etc... Just not so loud. That doesn't seem THAT crazy.

That said, I do not know of anyone offering a quieter aftermarket exhaust, but I have no doubt it can be done. Otherwise, it looks like you are moving!
      04-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Congratulations this is the absolute first time that I have every heard of anyone wanting a quieter exhaust

Neighbors should be fine.

1) It's not so loud that it should bother them, unless the walls are made of paper

2) the flap(s) should be closed on warm up

3) don't peel out when leaving the neighborhood

Oh, never track the car, it will open up the exhaust and only make it louder. Sheesh....

BTW, when selling your E36M3 and removing the aftermarket exhaust to reinstall the factory exhaust with the car in the garage, don't get the bright idea of starting the car to see what it sounds like...not that I would do that...just saying...

Last edited by omasou; 04-21-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
That doesn't seem THAT crazy.
To be honest, yes it does.

If you're in the market for a high-performance car (regardless of brand, model, etc.), the exhaust note is always going to be an issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #18
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:

Isn't there a 140 pound accountant who fires up his Harley a couple times a week all decked out in black leathers on your street to take the heat. That's the guy I can't stand. There's one that parks by my office all the time. As long as you're not trying to be loud I think it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #19
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
The M3/M4 are getting a lot of flak for their exhaust sounds. Mercedes AMG, Porsche, Jaguar F Type, Audi RS, Corvette, Mustang owners, and the media are making fun of that fact.

BMW corrects the problem by having an improved M2 exhaust sound, but you want it quieter?

Can't agree with you there my friend! Louder exhausts are as part of a performance car's signature as much as handling and hp. Although I do understand your worry over upsetting sleeping people. However, it is not a Viper ACR starting up...should be fine.

Our UK brethren need to lighten up. I see UK members on these forums saying stuff like, "I am afraid of the attention the color draws. It is too loud, etc.."

You guys need more hooligan in you... like us 'Muricans! (and more cowbell)

Last edited by csbear; 04-21-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Isn't there a 140 pound accountant who fires up his Harley a couple times a week all decked out in black leathers on your street to take the heat. That's the guy I can't stand. There's one that parks by my office all the time. As long as you're not trying to be loud I think it's fine.
Hell yeah, F that dude. Also he's like 300 pounds lol

And if you care so much about your neighbors, just put the car in neutral and push it down the street for a while (you can ghost ride it at the same time), then hop in and start it up
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #21
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

Personally, when I purchase a car like this, I want that growl to let people know that I'm driving a beast. A quiet exhaust would be like dropping money on a nice home theater system without the subwoofer.
Appreciate 4
      04-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #22
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop
So...I was wondering if the M2 stock exhaust loudness is as same as M235i with performance exhaust maybe???
Stock m2 exhaust is perfect IMHO. And I don't even own one!
Appreciate 2