E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Shudder on braking, Pagid discs and pads

04-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Mark e90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Shudder on braking, Pagid discs and pads

I have been meaning to get this issue sorted for a while now and have been doing a little research on Pagid issues. I fitted these brakes around 4k miles ago and they are now giving a noticeable shudder and a kind of droning noise whenever i touch the brakes over 60mph. I have checked the control arm bushings and they all seem fine no oil residue and no play in the wheels when jacked up. As i said i have been looking at what other people have put online about Pagid brakes and it sounds very similar ( shuddering when braking over 60mph ) And they all have only been on the car for around 2k miles. Some people say just change the pads for a different brand as its not actually a warped disc but the pads that are the problem with leaving un even deposits on the disc causing the shudder.

Im trying to keep the spend to a minimum as i don't plan on keeping this car much longer so i don't want to replace all control arm bushings if its the brakes which are the issue and vice versa. is there any other ways i can check if the bushes are bad ?

Where should i start first brakes or control arms ? Car only shudders under braking, drives absolutely fine the rest of the time.
      04-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Mine shudders at >60mph.

I replaced all the brakes, and it still does it. So for me i'm fairly sure its the control arms. Mine comes and goes, depending on various factors too.

My cars done 150k and they're probably original so its not a huge surprise in my case.

Personally, i'd think if it was warped disks, you'd feel it at any speed. It would also get worse if you brake harder, whereas i'm fairly sure mine doesnt. Infact sometimes, braking harder makes it go away.

First simple check, is to look for pad imprinting on the disks. IF pad imprinting is evident, then go run thru a full two cycles of brake bedding-in and see if it gets any better.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
You can go to STS or a n other tyre places that offer free brake checks & they will be able to tell you if the discs are warped or not. If they are you can get them re-skimmed, I had my fronts done for £80. If you drive a auto, after braking from a high speed & then sitting stationary with your foot on the brakes you can get heat soak into the discs, thus distorting them.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Known issue with Pagid. I had the same problem. I now won't fit anything other than Jurid (OEM supplier and available from GSF). May be more pricey, but fit and forget.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i
Known issue with Pagid. I had the same problem. I now won't fit anything other than Jurid (OEM supplier and available from GSF). May be more pricey, but fit and forget.
seems to make sense that if it was the discs it would shudder at all speeds. what were the symptoms you had.

going to try and get the car over to my mechanic to get it on the ramp and properly check out the bushes
      04-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

FWIW, my car went right thru an MOT with whatever play is in the front control arms not even getting a mention.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
FWIW, my car went right thru an MOT with whatever play is in the front control arms not even getting a mention.
Are you planning to get them sorted ? How do you know for sure its the control arms ? I would like to know for sure what it is myself without having to hassle my mechanic
      04-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark e90 View Post
seems to make sense that if it was the discs it would shudder at all speeds. what were the symptoms you had.

going to try and get the car over to my mechanic to get it on the ramp and properly check out the bushes
My symptoms were just like yours and, like you, I suspected: bushes (there was no play in any of them); bearings (even had the front bearing replaced) and; calipers (changed a caliper). All to no avail. It was the discs (which like yours, were relatively new).
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark e90 View Post
Are you planning to get them sorted ? How do you know for sure its the control arms ? I would like to know for sure what it is myself without having to hassle my mechanic
For me its just a hunch. I'm satisfied its not the brakes, as i replaced the lot (and not with Pagid stuff either!) and the vibration is still there exactly as it was. That leaves the control arms, and its a common enough fault that worn arms causes braking judder. My cars also on 150k so they're likely well past it.

I've got the TRW M3 parts to fit, just been waiting for the better weather to fit them, and i want to get some new top mounts as well as one creaks a bit at full lock. Will probably stick new tie rod ends and new drop links in at the same time so the whole front end is fresh.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
Mark e90
Captain
Rep

Just thought i would update this thread incase anyone else is suffering the same problem

I managed the get rid of the shudder by simply replacing the front discs and pads, safe to say i will never by Pagid again !