BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Test drove the M2 this morning

04-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 / '11 325is/89 325is

Test drove the M2 this morning

I'm #3 with my local dealer and got a call this morning to set up a time for a test drive and told him I would be there in 10 minutes. They had the LBB with DCT and I wanted to share some non expert, non track thoughts. I have had several rides that were very strong in the HP/torque platform including a current 72 Z28 350 small block Camaro, and several motorcycles during my life time.
The car was a BEAST to drive and all the comments, feedback, reviews are spot on accurate. I was totally consumed by the driving experience and smiled the whole time. I hammered it in the mountain curves where I live and it was on line the entire time and the tires gripped the groove. Shifting with paddles was very quick and responsive. Having looked around for any of my cohorts, and not seeing any, I checked out the launch from a red light and oh my!...
I was concerned about the drivers space but there was plenty of room.
Sorry about the non expert review, but had to share this. I'm staying with my order, BMS with spoiler and DCT option. Anybody that wavers on this beast or doesn't wait for whenever, will regret it.
Let me know of any questions...yes the seats fold and never saw any hint of green during sunny day.
Cheers to all!
Appreciate 4
      04-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Interested to learn your perspective on the difference between Comfort, Sport and the Sport+ driving modes. Did you play around with iDrive and see if any of those settings are customizable?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT with the great MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_fxdl View Post
I'm #3 with my local dealer and got a call this morning to set up a time for a test drive and told him I would be there in 10 minutes. They had the LBB with DCT and I wanted to share some non expert, non track thoughts. I have had several rides that were very strong in the HP/torque platform including a current 72 Z28 350 small block Camaro, and several motorcycles during my life time.
The car was a BEAST to drive and all the comments, feedback, reviews are spot on accurate. I was totally consumed by the driving experience and smiled the whole time. I hammered it in the mountain curves where I live and it was on line the entire time and the tires gripped the groove. Shifting with paddles was very quick and responsive. Having looked around for any of my cohorts, and not seeing any, I checked out the launch from a red light and oh my!...
I was concerned about the drivers space but there was plenty of room.
Sorry about the non expert review, but had to share this. I'm staying with my order, BMS with spoiler and DCT option. Anybody that wavers on this beast or doesn't wait for whenever, will regret it.
Let me know of any questions...yes the seats fold and never saw any hint of green during sunny day.
Cheers to all!
You're lucky !

You drove exactly what I've ordered (LBB with DCT). Mine has been ordered last December and should be built in August for an October delivery. Patience is the key word I guess... But according to your comments, the car deserve the wait !
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep

Did not use the comfort mode at all. With sport mode, the paddle shift response was quick on the downshift in the turns and hugged the road like it was glued to it. Sorry about the non expert review/opinion but I was driving on country roads in some traffic at times. Steering was very
Did not want to get squirrely in the turns and be the first globally to trash and roll the M2 while trying a drift. Can't say enough about feeling the hp, the exhaust sound was awesome when It was started it and drove out of the lot...It was a little different having the engine turn off at a light so I switched the mode off. I have two bimmers now and can't wait for the M..had to get the wife hers first.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Thank you for posting your thoughts. Happy to hear you found the car to be as impressive as we were hoping for. I have a bit of a wait but I am sure it will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
RoninX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z51

Have you ever driven a C7 Corvette? If so, how would you compare it to the M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep

Corvette 1LT

Friend of mine just bought a 2016 stingray, I believe its the 1LT (gray) and got to have my head and neck slammed backwards when he took off.
I didn't get to drive it at the time but before we left the lot, he switched on the active exhaust mode? I was standing at the rear and it was hugely impressive.
He also drives a cobra and had nothing but positives about the hp/torque on his vette (455hp?). The hood on the vette weighed about 5 pounds also!
Not sure if I rambled too much but it was like comparing a General Dynamics F-16 to a McDonnell Douglas F-15..Could save about 3k less on a vette but I'm definitely all over the M2.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
RoninX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z51

Yeah, they both seem like great cars. I've driven the C7, but not the M2, yet.
Appreciate 0