E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Coding steering column

04-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M-Sport

Coding steering column

Hi,
Does anyone know the process of coding a steering column once swapped out? I've heard that all that is needed is the ELV and CAS resetting... Can anyone confirm this or does anyone know for sure from doing the job themselves?
Thanks in advance.
D

Any master techs on this forum?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
2real4u
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

After coding some adaptations are required to finish this job.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:29 AM   #3
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello, what coding and adaptions are required? I have Rheingold and an ICOM interface and also INPA D/P and Toolset32.
Can you point me in the right direction pal?
What exactly needs coding? Is it the CAS and ELV module? What adaptions are needed? Things like steering angle sensor and such?
Cheers,
D

Last edited by Dibbles00; 04-14-2016 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Is coding actually needed? I've seen a few DIY steering column replacements and non have hinted coding was required.

If you are replacing the SZL module then yes, it should be programmed with Winkfp and then the steering angle re calibrated with tool32.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Sensible reply I was under the impression that coding wasn't needed too, however I've read conflicting posts on various forums and wanted to be sure before I attempt the swap next week when the new column arrives from Phil.
Hoping to not have to replace the SZL module as I think it's just the ELV that is playing up. Furthermore, I've read that the adaptions can be reset on the steering angle sensor, by turning lock to lock a few times. Will have to wait to see if this is even necessary. To be fair, with the amount of issues there have been with this column problem (see what I tried to do there?) I thought there would have been a decent DIY somewhere.
Not cool having so many issues in the first week of buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2real4u View Post
After coding some adaptations are required to finish this job.
Care to enlighten me?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Is coding actually needed? I've seen a few DIY steering column replacements and non have hinted coding was required.

If you are replacing the SZL module then yes, it should be programmed with Winkfp and then the steering angle re calibrated with tool32.
Just finished and it's all done. Car stated first time and no coding was required.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #8
Watford335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbles00 View Post
Just finished and it's all done. Car stated first time and no coding was required.
Hi mate just came across this post. Was your originally problem the red steering lock defective sign? Car won't work etc... I'm having that problem now and can't find anyone that has a clue how to clear it. Please help. Only owned it 4 weeks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watford335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbles00 View Post
Hi mate just came across this post. Was your originally problem the red steering lock defective sign? Car won't work etc... I'm having that problem now and can't find anyone that has a clue how to clear it. Please help. Only owned it 4 weeks
He didn't have your problem. He was asking about replacing steering column.

If you want help with your problem then I'd suggest creating a new thread.

In the meantime, how did this happen? Is your battery voltage ok? Have you tried re syncing CAS / DME (or DDE)?

What fault codes are present...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #10
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watford335i View Post

Hi,
I initially had the yellow steering symbol (not the red) and the car couldn't unlock the steering column. When in this state it can usually be unlocked quite easily by resetting the ELV counter. However, mine was not having any of it. Short story was that I had to replace the steering column. Advice here - do not buy a used column. I paid over £500 from BMW for a new one, which so far has a much more aggressive lock/unlock sound.
Where are you based exactly, because if local I can try to clear the fault for you to see if it works on yours.
Thanks
Appreciate 0