E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Question for 420bhp (ish) 335D owners.

04-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M sport

Question for 420bhp (ish) 335D owners.

Hi All,

A little bored of my E92 330D 245 and was looking into getting a 335D 285 and going for the two new turbo option / associated kit to get it around 420bhp. Question to the people who are running this set up - is it usable or do you struggle getting the power down? Also - do they kick a lot of smoke out without the DPF? Anyone got any max figures whilst leaving the DPF on?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Slightly off topic but have you remapped your 330d?

Mine made a huge step up from the standard 245bhp.

A 245 330d to a 420bhp 335d seems a big if very exciting jump!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Engineered View Post
Hi All,

A little bored of my E92 330D 245 and was looking into getting a 335D 285 and going for the two new turbo option / associated kit to get it around 420bhp. Question to the people who are running this set up - is it usable or do you struggle getting the power down? Also - do they kick a lot of smoke out without the DPF? Anyone got any max figures whilst leaving the DPF on?
I have this upgrade and have done for the last year/12k miles. It transforms the car and stock seems so slow after, similar to most power mods tbh, but this mod makes it feel really slow. It turns the car into an absolute lethal animal.

It is 100% useable. On motorways a slight squeeze of the throttle and you're already above the speed limit. On local roads the power can still be fully felt, whilst staying under the limit. The torque, 835nm, is just immense and can be felt whenever you drive, and not neccessarily at WOT. From a standing start, you can not go WOT obviously, but its quite easy to judge the power so you don't wheel spin. The first two gears need managing but after that you can go all the way. Just bear in mind you will have to look at handling upgrades and probably an LSD would help a lot.

There is some smoke on the 420bhp map i have. Not a lot, but a puff only when going WOT. i also have a 350bhp map which i can switch to, and this has zero smoke.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I have this upgrade and have done for the last year/12k miles. It transforms the car and stock seems so slow after, similar to most power mods tbh, but this mod makes it feel really slow. It turns the car into an absolute lethal animal.

It is 100% useable. On motorways a slight squeeze of the throttle and you're already above the speed limit. On local roads the power can still be fully felt, whilst staying under the limit. The torque, 835nm, is just immense and can be felt whenever you drive, and not neccessarily at WOT. From a standing start, you can not go WOT obviously, but its quite easy to judge the power so you don't wheel spin. The first two gears need managing but after that you can go all the way. Just bear in mind you will have to look at handling upgrades and probably an LSD would help a lot.

There is some smoke on the 420bhp map i have. Not a lot, but a puff only when going WOT. i also have a 350bhp map which i can switch to, and this has zero smoke.
You must record your car when you dyno it Mob17. I like the 335D and test drove one but couldn't find a good deal at the time.
I'd love to see you run water/meth on it. I think that would really blow you away.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Yeh I'm about the 400bhp mark with stock turbos , Wagner fmic, dpf delete, remap and water meth, although the water meth when on reaks like fooook lol , it's usable , the 335d is a weighty car , my mates m135 400bhp thing is really snaky , a LSD will be a big benefit to how it puts the power down , aswell as decent tyres

Mapping also has a lot to do with it !
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Quote:

You must record your car when you dyno it Mob17. I like the 335D and test drove one but couldn't find a good deal at the time.
I'd love to see you run water/meth on it. I think that would really blow you away.
Do you mean video record when doing a dyno run?

I think meth would take it close to 470-490bhp, and probably 900nm+ as a guess, which would be awesome. Just a bit wary of the gearbox.

But i really want to sort out the handling first, hoping m3 arms, solid SF bushes and an LSD should do it, so may leave meth until its all done, which will probably take ages lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:30 AM   #7
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Yeh I'm about the 400bhp mark with stock turbos , Wagner fmic, dpf delete, remap and water meth, although the water meth when on reaks like fooook lol , it's usable , the 335d is a weighty car , my mates m135 400bhp thing is really snaky , a LSD will be a big benefit to how it puts the power down , aswell as decent tyres

Mapping also has a lot to do with it !
Is there much black smoke when WOT with meth flowing?
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 03:31 AM   #8
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean video record when doing a dyno run?

I think meth would take it close to 470-490bhp, and probably 900nm+ as a guess, which would be awesome. Just a bit wary of the gearbox.

But i really want to sort out the handling first, hoping m3 arms, solid SF bushes and an LSD should do it, so may leave meth until its all done, which will probably take ages lol
Yes, it'd be cool to see a video of it on the dyno. I thought I'd recorded mine but it didn't. Dang it.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers for the replies all. Problem is I don't know if I could part with my immaculately maintained E92 330D, especially after fitting logic 7 to it etc. Finding a 335D with the same spec and colour wouldn't be easy.

Decisions lol!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Is there much black smoke when WOT with meth flowing?
Yes , weather it's cleaning out the system or it's the car dumping in more fuel I'm not so sure, although think it could be the later...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #11
mr-modster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 aw e92 335d m sport

I am going for this upgrade also I cannot wait. This upgrade seems to be getting alot more common now. And I am still to hear of a gearbox failure
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-modster
I am going for this upgrade also I cannot wait. This upgrade seems to be getting alot more common now. And I am still to hear of a gearbox failure
Good to hear! What are your plans?

I also haven't heard of gearbox failures, touchwood it won't happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
mr-modster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Hi well currently I have my dpf deleted and egr plus a remap I have been running 370bhp for over a year now so I have got the modding bug again lol. I contacted turbo dynamics and they quoted me around 1000 plus vat for having my turbos rebuilt and upgraded. I'm going to purchase my Intercooler next week. Then next month send my turbos off for the upgrade. I am trying to cut the costs where I can to be honest so may attempt to remove the turbos and refit them myself. The same with the intercooler I can't see that being too much hassle.. Also regarding the gearbox I have gone and got a quote on a reconditioned one plus fitting and that came in at 980 plus vat with collection of your car and delivery back to you. Which isn't too bad if your gearbox does fail.

I am still undecided where I would go for the new remap though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-modster
Quote:

Hi well currently I have my dpf deleted and egr plus a remap I have been running 370bhp for over a year now so I have got the modding bug again lol. I contacted turbo dynamics and they quoted me around 1000 plus vat for having my turbos rebuilt and upgraded. I'm going to purchase my Intercooler next week. Then next month send my turbos off for the upgrade. I am trying to cut the costs where I can to be honest so may attempt to remove the turbos and refit them myself. The same with the intercooler I can't see that being too much hassle.. Also regarding the gearbox I have gone and got a quote on a reconditioned one plus fitting and that came in at 980 plus vat with collection of your car and delivery back to you. Which isn't too bad if your gearbox does fail.

I am still undecided where I would go for the new remap though.
Thats some good pricing there, especially if you can do the work yourself. Also it is nice to know that there is a place to get a reconditioned gearbox fitted for that price, just in case! Do you have a link?

With the remapping, i would recommend Ecotune as they do this upgrade, but i'm not sure if they would be willing to do it on a car with the parts fitted already...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Cheers for the replies all. Problem is I don't know if I could part with my immaculately maintained E92 330D, especially after fitting logic 7 to it etc. Finding a 335D with the same spec and colour wouldn't be easy.

Decisions lol!!
In theory it should be possible to fit the 335d turbocharger etc to the 330d.

Much like the upgrade on the 325i where the 330i inlet manifold is swapped in and the ECU mapped to suit.

Not much info available on doing it though
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #16
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d
Quote:

Decisions lol!!
In theory it should be possible to fit the 335d turbocharger etc to the 330d.

Much like the upgrade on the 325i where the 330i inlet manifold is swapped in and the ECU mapped to suit.

Not much info available on doing it though
What about fitting a 335d hybrid turbo on a 330d, like the turbo dynamics one? Would that work?

I thought the 335d turbos worked differently as there are 2, or is the big 335d turbo the same ish as the single 330d one?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Like i say, in theory theres no reason why it couldnt.

However your right, the turbos do use different actuators, so there would be some modifications to the wiring. Certainly not plug and play, however its not impossible. Afterall, if folk can wire in a JB4 on a 335i, theres no reason why you couldnt wire in the extra solenoids to control the 335d turbo.

Theres other issues to consider as well, like can the 330d DME run the 335d software.

I'm surprised its not been tried, but like i say, in theory its all doable.

Worst case you'd need a 335d DME and engine harness.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:57 AM   #18
mr-modster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the link for the gearbox company mate it is actually local to me in Dartford

www.reconditionedgearboxes.com

I might give ecotune a ring and see what they say regarding the remap.

If they are not willing to do it I will probably go to bwchiptune
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 04:32 AM   #19
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

FWIW, i had a look at the wiring diagrams on the 330d and 335d last night.

The 330d uses one pin from the ECU to drive the turbo actuator (pin 93)

The 335d also uses pin 93, which it connects to the turbine bypass valve.
The 335d then has two further connections on pin 17 and 20, connected to the wastegate valve and compressor bypass valve respectively.

Adding those two pins to the ECU harness would be a relatively easy job. Ofcourse the question still stands if the 330d DME has the hardware internally to drive those pins, and thus just needs loaded with 335d software, or if you'd need the 335d DME. Would probably need a tuner to try loading the 335d software onto the 330d ecu and see what happened.

As a futher point, making this discussion all a bit pointless, is the conversion would only be possible on M57 330d's and the OP looks to have an N57!

Last edited by Aragorn30d; 04-24-2016 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
FWIW, i had a look at the wiring diagrams on the 330d and 335d last night.

The 330d uses one pin from the ECU to drive the turbo actuator (pin 93)

The 335d also uses pin 93, which it connects to the turbine bypass valve.
The 335d then has two further connections on pin 17 and 20, connected to the wastegate valve and compressor bypass valve respectively.

Adding those two pins to the ECU harness would be a relatively easy job. Ofcourse the question still stands if the 330d DME has the hardware internally to drive those pins, and thus just needs loaded with 335d software, or if you'd need the 335d DME. Would probably need a tuner to try loading the 335d software onto the 330d ecu and see what happened.

As a futher point, making this discussion all a bit pointless, is the conversion would only be possible on M57 330d's and the OP looks to have an N57!

Mines a 330D 245PS (not sure which engine model off the top of my head). Would be absolutely awesome if I could get 420BHP out of it though with the 335D mods!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yeh the 245 engine is the N57, so i've no idea if the 335d parts would even bolt on, and the DME is almost certainly different.

They did build a twin turbo N57, but it was never fitted to an E90. The F10 and F01 used it as well as the xDrive40d in the X5/6. Theres perhaps some scope to use those parts, you'd really need to speak to a tuner though about wether they could tune the ECU properly to match up with the twin turbo system.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #22
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
yeh the 245 engine is the N57, so i've no idea if the 335d parts would even bolt on, and the DME is almost certainly different.

They did build a twin turbo N57, but it was never fitted to an E90. The F10 and F01 used it as well as the xDrive40d in the X5/6. Theres perhaps some scope to use those parts, you'd really need to speak to a tuner though about wether they could tune the ECU properly to match up with the twin turbo system.
Cheers for the reply. Any ideas which tuner would be best to speak to about this? I'm from Lancashire
Appreciate 0