BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust- inquiry

04-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M2

M Performance Exhaust- inquiry

Sorry to start a new thread for this, I asked in other threads without any luck. Does anyone know if the BT remote control is an optional accessory that can be purchased but not required to open/close the valves? I mean would it still open/close with the Sport/Sport plus settings and it's something extra to open the valves in non-sport mode? Or would you always need it to open and close the valves. I found mixed facts about this, it said "optional" in some threads and in others, people were complaining about if the remote was at home you would not enjoy the exhaust fully. Does anyone have more information about this?

I love both sounds, the OEM has a lot of rumble and the MPE magnifies the spool so beautifully. I am very interested in the MPE but if the remote has to be used every time you want to enjoy the full blast then it's a deal breaker for me. I love the built in option of operating the exhaust with the driving mode settings.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and here is my spec's sheet, is this the equivalent of "Exec" in the USA? In Kuwait you don't get to choose much, just the color, transmission and if you want a sunroof. I see most of the specs of the Exec minus the heated steering wheel which is not required here.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3172
Size:  132.2 KB

Last edited by MYK; 04-09-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

The remote is mandatory to operate the valves.

Q: How do valves operate on the M Performance Exhaust?
A: Valves are solely driver-controlled using an included bluetooth remote (see photo of exhaust remote from a MINI, which the M2 remote will resemble). The exhaust valves do not automatically open or close at a certain RPM.

[From Jason: the remote may come in packaging which should fit in the cupholder to act conveniently as a remote holder]

Sauce

For more info: sticky, MP parts

Last edited by swagon; 04-09-2016 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

04-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #4
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
The remote is mandatory to operate the valves.

Q: How do valves operate on the M Performance Exhaust?
A: Valves are solely driver-controlled using an included bluetooth remote (see photo of exhaust remote from a MINI, which the M2 remote will resemble). The exhaust valves do not automatically open or close at a certain RPM.

[From Jason: the remote may come in packaging which should fit in the cupholder to act conveniently as a remote holder]

Sauce

For more info: sticky, MP parts
Thanks, I've seen that too. Does this confirm that the MPE disables valves from opening/closing based on driving mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The Instagram post says with "optional" BT remote.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Good question. I am too wondering, when equipped with the MPE, if there will be different sounds whether in Comfort, Sport or Sport+, or it will only have the Sport or Track buttons from the MPE...

From my understanding, the BT controls only the exhaust valve, which would disable the mode buttons valve.

To sum up:
- with MPE: valve closed in SPORT and valve open in TRACK
- with OEM: valve closed in Comfort, valve open with rpm in Sport and Sport +

Please correct if I am wrong!
      04-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Good question. I am too wondering, when equipped with the MPE, if there will be different sounds whether in Comfort, Sport or Sport+, or it will only have the Sport or Track buttons from the MPE...

From my understanding, the BT controls only the exhaust valve, which would disable the mode buttons valve.

To sum up:

So with MPE :- sport and track are controlled via BT remote, independent of the comfort/sport/sport+ settings? Meaning I can be loud (track) while in comfort and not so loud "sport" while I'm sport+ mode? Making the drive mode completely independent of the exhaust setting? If this is the case then it's a deal breaker to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
So with MPE :- sport and track are controlled via BT remote, independent of the comfort/sport/sport+ settings? Meaning I can be loud (track) while in comfort and not so loud "sport" while I'm sport+ mode? Making the drive mode completely independent of the exhaust setting? If this is the case then it's a deal breaker to me.
That is my understanding since I believe there is only one exhaust valve on the M2. I may be wrong...
      04-12-2016, 12:45 AM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima

To sum up:

AFAIK, valves are always open regarless of the rpm in Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 02:09 AM   #9
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

I reviewed many MPE videos, and I really think it's not worth the current price...

It's not drastically louder compared to stock, and the difference is only noticeable at higher rpm.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Any clarity on this now that more users received there cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #11
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Any clarity on this now that more users received there cars?
The BT controller will turn the MPE into Sport or Track mode. This is independent to the car being the the different driver experience modes ( Comfort, Sport and Sport+ ).

When you enable Track mode for the MPE, you can hear the exhaust open ( there is a click followed by a louder exhaust ). The valve is always open.

Without the BT controller the MPE exhaust behaves like similar to the normal exhaust and you will lose the ability to switch it on or off.

So to be clear:
MPE in Sport mode and car in Comfort/Sport/Sport+
Sounds substantially different than
MPE in Track mode and car in Comfort/Sport/Sport+

Therefore YES you need the BT controller if you want this control. However, I'm sure someone can rig up the system where the exhaust valve is always open... But by default the MPE is in Sport mode.

BTW, I do have the MPE on my M2.

Last edited by Seagull; 08-17-2016 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Qualified my response...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:55 AM   #12
Bmwbb
Private First Class
Rep

I believe the mpe itself has 2 mode. Default is sport. When turn on by bt, it changes to track. This is independent of the driving mode (comfort, sport, sport +)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #13
srleadjb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
I have the exhaust. This is the simplest way to explain it. It works exactly like the stock one if you don't use the remote. Quiter in comfort, louder in sport/sport +. Track Mode opens the valves in the outside pipes which bypass the muffler making it louder but works in the same way.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #14
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post
I have the exhaust. This is the simplest way to explain it. It works exactly like the stock one if you don't use the remote. Quiter in comfort, louder in sport/sport +. Track Mode opens the valves in the outside pipes which bypass the muffler making it louder but works in the same way.
Cool. I value someone speaking from a position of knowledge. Though, I have to admit, there must be value from folks just chit-chatting on the WWW.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver21 View Post
Cool. I value someone speaking from a position of knowledge. Though, I have to admit, there must be value from folks just chit-chatting on the WWW.
lol!
      08-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21
I reviewed many MPE videos, and I really think it's not worth the current price...

It's not drastically louder compared to stock, and the difference is only noticeable at higher rpm.
You have to judge value. But wrong on the loudness only at higher rpms. The sound of the mpe is awesome and also not subtle. I'm on the fence on getting it but have heard it live both at a standstill and being revved and in motion under load. My reason for being on the fence is that there is zero power improvement and the Bluetooth in my mind is a gimmicky add on. For the money they are charging this should be integrated into the sport mode switch or Idrive. But the sound...holy crap...I want it.
      03-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #17
jesustracy
Rep
Drives: F87 M2(6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
The BT controller will turn the MPE into Sport or Track mode. This is independent to the car being the the different driver experience modes ( Comfort, Sport and Sport+ ).

When you enable Track mode for the MPE, you can hear the exhaust open ( there is a click followed by a louder exhaust ). The valve is always open.

Without the BT controller the MPE exhaust behaves like similar to the normal exhaust and you will lose the ability to switch it on or off.

So to be clear:
MPE in Sport mode and car in Comfort/Sport/Sport+
Sounds substantially different than
MPE in Track mode and car in Comfort/Sport/Sport+

Therefore YES you need the BT controller if you want this control. However, I'm sure someone can rig up the system where the exhaust valve is always open... But by default the MPE is in Sport mode.

BTW, I do have the MPE on my M2.
buddy, i got MPE installed on my m2. But i got a problem, After I open the valves manually, the valves will randomly close by itself. I just don't know why. I wonder if you have this scenario.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:18 AM   #18
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

It happened once as I remember. One of the reasons I put my MPE in track mode permanently by disconnecting module-to-battery wire.

BT signal is not reliable these days. I believe someone will work out some way making it follow stock valve behavior.
      03-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #19
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesustracy View Post
buddy, i got MPE installed on my m2. But i got a problem, After I open the valves manually, the valves will randomly close by itself. I just don't know why. I wonder if you have this scenario.
I have over 10k km on the car. I think it has happened maybe 10 times in all that time. So that's to say that YES it has happened to me. I'll ask them on my next oil change later this summer.
      03-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #20
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I had my MPE installed at the port and have driven approximately 600 miles to date. A few times a week I will put the MPE into track mode and luckily haven't experienced any issues with the valves closing on their own. My build date was in Dec/Jan so maybe it was an issue with earlier versions but can't confirm this to be the case.

Agree with others above, the sound is incredible and so far I have set off a neighbors Maserati alarm twice (inside a parking garage) and scared numerous people walking through the neighborhood with rev matched downshifts as I approach stop signs.

Expensive but worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Benzima1322.00