E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hey folks im after some help with my steering wheel controls...

04-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
holmefield
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330 d m sport

Hey folks im after some help with my steering wheel controls...

Right folks

has anybody achived this. ..

I have factory bluetooth, and i have a little Bluetooth module that plugs into my Aux socket ( i don't have a usb slot ) which allows my phone to connect to the car for music to connect/stream to the Bluetooth module, therefore doing away with the need to plug the phone in Via a Aux cable...

Now i can turn the music up or down via the steering wheel controls, but i cant fast forward rewind or skip tracks from the steering wheel and it bugs the crap out of me

Is there any device a bit like the Bluetooth module that allows you to connect up your Android phone ( mines a galaxy S6 ) and gain the fast forward/rewind/skip track function?

I DONT have Idrive and dont really want to have to go down the retro fit Usb/combi box route...

Cheers for any info..
MODS lots of coding,Alcantara flat bottom wheel and trim,Led reg bulbs,Sapphire black interior trims,Carbon diffuser,DPF delete 276bhp,Carbon badges,Yellow B/calipers 19" BBS LM Alloys,Lowered spring perches.

Last edited by holmefield; 04-07-2016 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

If you wanted to get in to it, it should be possible. I suspect there's probably a bluetooth controller for Android devices (not 100%, don't own one) that will have the playback controls you want. You could either mount that somewhere, or disassemble it and your steering wheel, and wire it's buttons to the steering wheel buttons. You'd lose functionality of those buttons for anything else however. Maybe another idea would be to mount the buttons on the back of the steering wheel so they are hidden?

Without upgrading to USB/Full BT I doubt there's an easier way of doing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
If you wanted to get in to it, it should be possible. I suspect there's probably a bluetooth controller for Android devices (not 100%, don't own one) that will have the playback controls you want. You could either mount that somewhere, or disassemble it and your steering wheel, and wire it's buttons to the steering wheel buttons. You'd lose functionality of those buttons for anything else however. Maybe another idea would be to mount the buttons on the back of the steering wheel so they are hidden?

Without upgrading to USB/Full BT I doubt there's an easier way of doing it.
How hard is it to upgrade to Usb?

Do you need a combi box thingy?

Whats full BT? i have factory bluetooth which pairs fine to my phone and shows full phone book.
MODS lots of coding,Alcantara flat bottom wheel and trim,Led reg bulbs,Sapphire black interior trims,Carbon diffuser,DPF delete 276bhp,Carbon badges,Yellow B/calipers 19" BBS LM Alloys,Lowered spring perches.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
2real4u
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

You need MULF 2 HI plus USB/aux with wiring.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Right so is that 3 items

1.Mulf 2...what does this do?

2.Hi plus..is this another box?

3.Usb/Aux with wiring ( i think i've seen these advertised on Fleebay )

Will these items allow me to do anything else or are they just to get full steering wheel controls?

Im guessing there'll need coding to the car.

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

I might be wrong but I think at some point BT supported music as well as phone calls, that's what I meant by Full BT.

USB method would be your simplest, you should be able to get the Professional HU with BT/USB built in, then the USB wiring. You'll need your phone plugged in still though, but your sound quality might improve, and I assume your phone is already plugged in to charge anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
holmefield
Captain
Rep

So basically i need a headunit like this and also a usb installed under the arm rest?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I do the exact same thing for music in my car. I use this button and Velcro'd it to my center console - http://www.amazon.com/Satechi%C2%AE-.../dp/B00RM75NL0

Couple things to note:
-it does disconnect after not pressing the button for a while, you just press it once, it re-connects, and then you use it normally. This saves battery life.
-it does not light up, so at night can be hard to use if you have it in your hand.
-the face is flat, so it is hard to tell where the up/down, next/back buttons are if its in your hand and its dark.
-because i mounted mine, the buttons are always in the same place, so i do not find it difficult to use.

I mainly wanted this button because this is a much safer way to move through songs than trying to tap my phone screen and also allows me to move through tracks without getting away from my nav screen.
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
holmefield
Captain
Rep

[IMG]

[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Like the above headunit and details
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
I do the exact same thing for music in my car. I use this button and Velcro'd it to my center console - http://www.amazon.com/Satechi%C2%AE-.../dp/B00RM75NL0

Couple things to note:
-it does disconnect after not pressing the button for a while, you just press it once, it re-connects, and then you use it normally. This saves battery life.
-it does not light up, so at night can be hard to use if you have it in your hand.
-the face is flat, so it is hard to tell where the up/down, next/back buttons are if its in your hand and its dark.
-because i mounted mine, the buttons are always in the same place, so i do not find it difficult to use.

I mainly wanted this button because this is a much safer way to move through songs than trying to tap my phone screen and also allows me to move through tracks without getting away from my nav screen.
Yer i've seen those, there a good backup but i was just trying to go down the OEM+ route/retro fit
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I've have the LCI pro headunit in my car. You can't do Bluetooth music streaming with it. It's just for taking calls. You can connect a USB drive full of music or connect your phone and play the music from there
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Damn...so you still cant get steering wheel controls to fast forward rewind or skip tracks with the Lci usb headunit??
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmefield
Damn...so you still cant get steering wheel controls to fast forward rewind or skip tracks with the Lci usb headunit??
Errrm, will have to double check but I think you can skip tracks and fast forward by holding down both on the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

I think with your phone plugged in via USB you should get controls, but I'm not 100% as I don't have it.

The little Satechi button was sort of what I meant, maybe mount it to the back of the wheel out of sight?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #16
E90-AMD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Individual E93 330d

There is a £14 replica for that item above. It's the exact same except the box is different. It's on eBay
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 04:23 AM   #17
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-AMD View Post
There is a £14 replica for that item above. It's the exact same except the box is different. It's on eBay
I'll have a look now..
Appreciate 0