E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Static sound from under centre dash?

04-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Question Static sound from under centre dash?

The noise: static / crackling / sparking type noise as if something is shorting.

Where? Centre dash where the mid speaker would go in an L7 system. May be slightly deeper than that but it is definitely inside the dash somewhere toward the centre.

When does it happen? Low to mid range speeds it can be noticed with the stereo off.

How long does it last? Anything from 5-10 seconds at a time to 20 seconds. It is intermittent.

Any other information? The n/s/f door speaker had static sounds and I replaced this but the sound continued. I replaced the amp as part of cross diagnostic investigation and the static sound continued intermittently in said speaker.

Final Thoughts/Random Guesses: Does the E92 Pre-LCI have an ASK unit under the dash or something or is that only for L7? Some kind of fan or fan controller module may be?

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #2
Robiniho77
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

I have this also in my pre lci e91

Will follow this to see if anyone knows what it is
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:16 AM   #3
NRudy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

May sound like a long shot,

I had a rattle coming from what seemed like the centre speaker or behind the centre console.

Turned out to be the cheap plastic casing around the back of the rear view mirror which was touching the windscreen.

Had me going crazy for months until i found it.
Appreciate 0