E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Remap & Insurance

04-05-2016, 04:32 AM   #1
PDK
Rep
Drives: 335i

Remap & Insurance

Hello,

I’ve tried searching for a thread relating to this, but can’t find one.

Usually I do find the answers via the search function, hence the low post count..

I own an E92 335i M Sport, with 54k on the clock. I’ve been thinking about getting a remap – but how does an insurance company respond to this?

• Do they adjust price based on % increase of power?
• If so do they need a print out confirming power?
• Will they take your word for it re new BHP?

Understand insurance is very subjective based on your own circumstances, however those of you that have had remaps how much did your insurance increase by if any, and how was this calculated?

Thanks in advance
PK
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just fit a JB4 and don't tell 'em

Tbh you can just deactivate the JB4 at any point and as it's a piggy back you can uninstall it too if really required.

But you can just tell them it has a map and less than 10% increase or something I suppose.
      04-05-2016, 04:57 AM   #3
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you do declare a performance upgrade you may find your insurance gets cancelled, depending on who you are insured with. Brokers behind some insurance companies are extremely risk adverse. If they don't cancel your insurance they will want to know the difference in HP and will adjust the premium accordingly.

Personally I would not risk not declaring the modification. If you crashed the car badly you may not get the chance to take the map off. If the car has other mods it will immediately raise suspicion. Any excuse not to pay out and the insurance company will be all over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
All depends on your insurer ask them about it before you do it and if you can't afford it don't do it. Running mods uninsured is totally t*at behaviour and your no better than some in insured tool chancing it and it will only end in tears remember if they void your insurance following a smash a whole world of pain will open up once the police get involved. I haven't modded the BM yet but all my VWs were and all mods were declared some made surprisingly little difference at all.
      04-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
p-dawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D MSport

How would an insurance company even find out? I've never known a car incident and insurance not paying out because it was remapped.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There are multiple ways you could get caught out. Say it was as serious crash and your car was taken away by the police to a compound. They could start looking or an insurance assessor might come to inspect the car. The first thing he will do is check for any reason to void the claim against the insurance company.

It's a big risk. You are effectively driving a car without insurance.

Risk = likelihood of occurrence (getting caught/ perhaps low) vs potential consequence (high)

The risk goes up a lot if the car is heavily modified (body work/ wheels etc.) This will immediately raise suspicion.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-dawg View Post
How would an insurance company even find out? I've never known a car incident and insurance not paying out because it was remapped.
I deal with fatal and serious collisions at work. My guys will look for tuning boxes / anything unusual and if we are in any doubt or want further information we will send the ECU away for analysis.

If you have a big crash, haven't declared something and it is found out you have no insurance. Kill someone and without insurance you commit a separate offence of being uninsured and being involved in a fatal collision.

If you want to take the chance then go ahead but I can assure you these things are checked if you have a biggie.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
PDK
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just wanted to get a view of those who have had maps, how this affected insurance. I will of course check with my insurers prior to having this done.

A guy I worked with a few years back, his brother in law was an insurance adjuster and said the first thing they do is to check if its re-mapped. If it is and not declared, they are not liable and pay nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
R99
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 330d F31 Touring

Just ring up your insurance and ask them.

If you are with a mainstream insurer, be prepared for a shafting!

I use Sky Insurance, who by the way are excellent, and I have all my mods are declared.

As you say....... Its just not worth the risk IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Phil99z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F31 340i Shadowline Ed

Garage List
As mentioned if you are with a mainstream insurance company they may cancel your policy. I was with Allianz insurance when I bought my E91. Done the 335 style exhaust mod and called to declare it and they ended up cancelled my policy on the spot!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
KiwiRD
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i M Sport 6MT

Slightly irrelevant as this is in NZ, but I rang the AA and asked whether a remap on my 335i would be covered, and their response was "ECU upgrades or modifications are acceptable and don't require any additional premium." I also asked at the same time about fitting 19" wheels over the standard 18" wheels, and that was fine too. I am 35 and have been with them for three years with no claims, since moving back from the UK. It could be that age is a factor - if you're 19 and have had three cars written off then I would expect a slightly different response!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55

I can't see how tuning a car to perform as it should, count as a modification.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #13
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialas
I can't see how tuning a car to perform as it should, count as a modification.
It's a problem because UK insurers insure based upon risk and specification

With risk it is what it is and is many factors.

Specification is how the vehicle left the factory as per the manufacturers build sheet.

In the insurers eye if you need more power you buy a car with the power you want not modify it and if you do we will have to charge it up or the underwriter will just say no full stop and they will cancel your policy.

End of the day it is what it is and you live with it and to be legal you have to comply if not you may as well just be another uninsured driver on the road making it more expensive for everyone else which is just a selfish t*at attitude to take with it. If you can't afford to do it right don't do it and winge when you get into bother for it simples really.
      04-06-2016, 07:35 AM   #14
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2die4 View Post
As mentioned if you are with a mainstream insurance company they may cancel your policy. I was with Allianz insurance when I bought my E91. Done the 335 style exhaust mod and called to declare it and they ended up cancelled my policy on the spot!
If you have an insurance policy cancelled by the insurance company does it count against you in any way? I assume you lose any NCB for that insurance year?

// E90 M3 LCI DCT in Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather // Alcantara Trim // ST XTA Coilovers // 1.75 Exhaust Mod // Pinnacle Undertray // @jerez.black.e90.m3 //
Euro Alpine Road Trips 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2die4 View Post
If you have an insurance policy cancelled by the insurance company does it count against you in any way? I assume you lose any NCB for that insurance year?
UK insurers always ask when you get quotes etc if you have ever been refused cover (an insurer cancelling is a refusal to continue an agreed policy of cover) so yes it does go against you, they also check between themselves against your name addressed etc on a big database.
      04-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #16
Phil99z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F31 340i Shadowline Ed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
UK insurers always ask when you get quotes etc if you have ever been refused cover (an insurer cancelling is a refusal to continue an agreed policy of cover) so yes it does go against you, they also check between themselves against your name addressed etc on a big database.
Didn't know that. When I called Allianz to declare the mod it was in the evening and I was only about 2 months or so into the policy so I guess I lost them 2 months of NCB. Ended up getting an insurance policy with Admiral the same evening to make sure I was covered. I'm with Adrian flux now with everything declared and mentioned that I had a policy cancellation last year too, fully comp on a 330i £560 which I don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 04:58 AM   #17
Gk E92 330d
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d m sport auto

I am in the same position just now as have my 330d Lci booked in at Durham Remaps on Thursday and called Direct Line yesterday to check on whether they would still cover me and an additional £41 per year was the difference.

They did ask for the % increase and my premium was based on an increase in power upto 20% they do not require a printout after completed
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 05:12 AM   #18
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

You may find that it makes no difference.

When I had my E36 and added loads of my mods (Induction kit, LSD, All Suspension upgrades, exhaust etc) it cost me nothing.

They only wanted to charge an "admin" fee, which I argued against so they waived that too.
      05-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #19
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

All insurance companies are different, so it's best to ask yours before you do it. If they're not friendly to that then call around at renewal time and see who is.

I can't believe someone the comment about performing as it should lol, or people saying not to tell the insurance on a forum that's open to the internet.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #20
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I became uncomfortable rolling about with undeclared mods. So when insurance time came around I decided to have a shop around.
My insurance went down! There were other changes to my circumstances but the overall result was a reducton in premiums.
You may be surprised.

WM
Appreciate 0