Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

04-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Any other California transplants here?

I have been in Austin for about 3 months now...and love it.

One question I have is in regards to traction issues I have been experiencing since moving here. The difference in the ability to accelerate hard in 2nd and 3rd gears (1st is useless for traction) down here compared to in the Bay Area is quite striking.

I always had some issues with traction in this car through 3rd gear (especially with my Dinantronics S2 tune), but the difference between the Bay Area and Austin is huge. I find that down here it feels like I am constantly driving on wet pavement...even when it is dry and warm out. I don't get it.

I know it is not just my car....as my wife's Mini Cooper S (albeit front wheel drive) also exhibits much less traction here compared to the Bay Area.

I know this question and comparison will fall on deaf ears for anyone who has not driven in both areas...which is why I am calling out any other transplants from California. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be differences in pavement materials used here compared to California?

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
dailym3
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just a guess, but maybe the higher humidity and how that impacts the moisture on the surface of the road? I seem to have spun the tires in both places
Appreciate 0