F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Stock Vs Power Kit Vs Jb4
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: How will you mod your B58
Stock 4 13.79%
Power and Sound kit 13 44.83%
Jb4 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

04-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #1
soultraveler00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Bmw M5

B58 Stock Vs Power Kit Vs Jb4

So I currently have 600 miles on my 340 and have enjoyed this engine very much so far. Just contemplating which way to go as far as tuning. The stock exhaust and cabin are very quiet compared to what I'm use too (m5 gthaus and A6 AWE) but I think I like it this way. I guess I'm getting old (32) The turbo spool noise it makes in 1st and 2nd gear is intoxicating. I currently have the power and sound kit on my lease but it's prorated so I don't pay the extra monthly till it's installed. I'm starting to think that I should just drop it all together and just go Jb4 and decide if I want an exhaust down the road. With tesla model 3 coming in a year and half I think more car enthusiasts will start getting accustomed to quieter cars that are fast. So I just wanted to ask you all what your plans are for your new 340i and 440i as far as tuning goes. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 01:50 AM   #2
Thus
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive m perf & track pkg

I'm taking delivery of my 340i xDrive this week. It has MPE, M sport, and track package, among others.

I am following the JB4 development closely and look forward to when it's out of beta so that I can install it.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
I've got the BMS intake coming Thursday. From there I'm waiting for the JB4 to come out of Beta, then I'll probably pull the trigger on it. My last mod would be a high flow cat from CG Precision. Those three mods would put me close to 400 hp&tq to the wheels which sounds awesome. Although it's in my nature to want to do it, I don't think I'll do any exhaust mods. I think just the high flow cat will be enough and still keep the car semi sleeper.

Btw, I studied the MPPK exhaust on real oem and discovered it weighs more than M performance exhaust (by a significant amount), and just by looks, probably weighs more than the stock exhaust too. Disappointing.

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Just run a ton more boost. It's what everyone is doing and it's a lease so who cares. :
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN
I've got the BMS intake coming Thursday. From there I'm waiting for the JB4 to come out of Beta, then I'll probably pull the trigger on it. My last mod would be a high flow cat from CG Precision. Those three mods would put me close to 400 hp&tq to the wheels which sounds awesome. Although it's in my nature to want to do it, I don't think I'll do any exhaust mods. I think just the high flow cat will be enough and still keep the car semi sleeper.

Btw, I studied the MPPK exhaust on real oem and discovered it weighs more than M performance exhaust (by a significant amount), and just by looks, probably weighs more than the stock exhaust too. Disappointing.
Oh come on, any weight differences between The MPPSK and stock will be minimal and trivial. And the "regular MPE is just a muffler. I took a peak and there's no way you can tell how much it weighs...

All I know is that I am not voiding the warranty on the first MY of an engine with the JB4.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
soultraveler00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Just run a ton more boost. It's what everyone is doing and it's a lease so who cares. :
Haha if only it were that easy
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Quote:

Oh come on, any weight differences between The MPPSK and stock will be minimal and trivial. And the "regular MPE is just a muffler. I took a peak and there's no way you can tell how much it weighs...

All I know is that I am not voiding the warranty on the first MY of an engine with the JB4.
12.97kg or 28.6lbs seems semi significant to me (mppk vs mpe). True the stock exhaust doesn't have a number, but I bet it's similar to mpe.

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Quote:

12.97kg or 28.6lbs seems semi significant to me (mppk vs mpe). True the stock exhaust doesn't have a number, but I bet it's similar to mpe.

Ok so you showed me a muffler's shipping weight is less than a cat back exhaust, flash unit etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it is around 5 lbs more. Since the stock 340i exhaust on real OEM doesn't have a weight. For reference the exhaust of the pre LCI 335i is 23.789 kg. That being said. I'm sure there's no where near "a significant difference" between stock and MPPSK
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #9
slowF32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

I lease a 435i right now that has MPPK and MPE (which I currently have switched out for an Active Autowerke axle back) and I also have a JB4 and downpipe on it and I love the combination of both because the Power kit offers features like the exhaust burbles/fuel overrun sounds and improved throttle response too.

That being said, when I get a B58 car next, I'll probably opt to go with just JB4 and aftermarket exhaust since it seems to be the method that offers the most bang for my buck and I have had a pretty good experience with the jb4 on this car. The install/uninstall is relatively easy and the support from the guys at Burger is great.

With the power that the JB4 can make, it's hard to resist, especially with how well the B58 seems to be doing with the beta tuner.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Definitely no warranty voiding here either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmplaya
Definitely no warranty voiding here either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post

Actually a dealer can refuse to fix an engine issue under warranty if they choose......
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Will be installing a JB4 on the shop's 340 once we order it

I have a posted thread about the JB4 gains with simple mods and a video showing the 340 beating a stock m4

With these kinds of gains and at the price offered for, it is a no brainer in my opinion

Here is the thread i mentioned above
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213066

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0