E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MTec Brakes

03-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

MTec Brakes

Has anyone tried MTec Brakes? They seem to offer decent priced disc and pad combos.

Site link: http://www.mtecbrakes.com/

Going on a long road trip soon so I'd like to replace the discs on my E93 for ones that suffer less brake fade.

The grooved discs they offer seem to be ones I'm after but I'm not sure of the benefits of grooved or cross-drilled for real world (road) use.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

I had mtec front discs and pads on my 320d, they where grooved, seemed like decent discs and lasted well over 2 years only problem was the amount of brake dust and the noise they made when hard braking.
I would personally stick to normal discs
      03-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
abeardo83
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Grooved discs take a slice of pad off every time you brake, so are slightly more dusty.
If you don't plan on tracking it, just go for normal discs
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I had mtec front discs and pads on my 320d, they where grooved, seemed like decent discs and lasted well over 2 years only problem was the amount of brake dust and the noise they made when hard braking.
I would personally stick to normal discs
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeardo83 View Post
Grooved discs take a slice of pad off every time you brake, so are slightly more dusty.
If you don't plan on tracking it, just go for normal discs

Cheers guys, I had a feeling that grooved discs wouldnt be as suitable as plain discs on the road (of course track driving is a different kettle of fish).

So my next question is, MTec don't seem to offer plain discs so I'll have to go with the likes of Eurocarparts.

Can anyone reccommend a decent disc that provides good performance with minimal brake fade? Theres quite a few on ECP site from Pagid, ATE, Brembo.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Just pick a decent brand and you'll be fine. Disks arent that important to brake performance so long as they're round and flat. Pads play a much larger role.

People will tell you that cheap disk X or Y has warped, but disks dont generally warp, the problem is caused by pad deposits, which creates a hard spot on the disk that wears more slowly than the surrounding material. Deposits are usually caused by holding the car on the brakes while stationary, if the brakes are hot, deposits occur.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Just pick a decent brand and you'll be fine. Disks arent that important to brake performance so long as they're round and flat. Pads play a much larger role.

People will tell you that cheap disk X or Y has warped, but disks dont generally warp, the problem is caused by pad deposits, which creates a hard spot on the disk that wears more slowly than the surrounding material. Deposits are usually caused by holding the car on the brakes while stationary, if the brakes are hot, deposits occur.
Thanks mate. I guess the pad performance is more important then. That'll save me a few quid when I choose from ECP instead of MTec.

Yeah I've heard about "pad stamping" before where the pads leave a deposit when the car is held with the brakes after heavy braking, such as coming off the motorway.
It's why I tend to put the car in neutral and use the handbrake (if needed). I also don't like sitting in traffic staring at bright brake lights so why should I do it to ppl behind me?
If you have an auto is different I guess but surely it doesn't take long to put it into neutral at the lights.

Now as I'll be going on a long road trip soon (NC500) I may get the ebc redstuff pads to deal with brake fade, yellowstuff may be overkill as there'll only be a few bouts of "spirited" driving as opposed to full on track day mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

For road use I'd stick with OEM disks (or Pagid) and use uprated pads (eg Tarox Strada).

I had Mtec grooved/dimpled disks with Brembo HP2000 pads - very noisy - annoying loud hum really got to me so much that I went back to the above setup which was just as effective - progressive and silent in comparison.

Also dont forget to do some proper bedding in - lots on internet about this - it needs to be done properly IMO

http://www.essexparts.com/support/learning-center--faq

you can start the relevant bit from 10:31

Last edited by Jules59; 03-24-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
NNZ123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

i have ebc drilled and grooved on my remaped 330d and yellow stuff pads verry good not so good when cold but once they are goin they are perfect.
Appreciate 0