E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help 318d Possible Head Blown :(

03-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
mike-tomo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d + e90 318d

Help 318d Possible Head Blown :(

HELLO GUYS HAVENT BEEN ON HERE FOR A WHILE

here it goes i have a 2007 57 reg bmw 318d 143 engine ive been away so my gf has been using my car, now before i went away the only issue the car had was that the exhaust started blowing from what it sounded like it was at the flexi,
anyway i thought when i get back i will sort it.

so ive came back after being away longer than i thought with work ended up being nearly 8 weeks, so i gets back my gf picked me up n we drove home, the exhaust sounded alllllot worse sounded like a subaru now... anyway i get out later that night i get in the car to take it for drive and it came up coolant was low so i jumped out car checked my boot for coolant (which only had a little left )so i topped up what i had left with water. and put in my car. ( was only a quater of the big bottle) and i thought id go to bm next day and get some more coolant anyway, im driving for about 15 mins and the engine warm wrning light came on in amber. before i had a chance to pull over the red warning light came on.and the engine cut out. i pulled over checked the coolant it was really low so i topped up with water i had left in car ( bottled water ) got it home called my dad who came round with some of his bmw coolant and water filled it right to the top and turned the engine off to go cold left it for about 2 hours went for a drive and everything on the car was fine drove it for about a hour really easy, everything was fine so i came home.
next day i get up starts the car and it was really rough on the idle and white smoke came out the back for about 20 seconds then stopped,(sometimes white smoke came out of exhaust on sart u as dpf is removed) i drove the car easy to work and it was fine satrted running as normal, i told my dad about rough idle who said maybe it may have got air in the system so he took screw out by the expansion tank and told me to start car n lightly rev for a sec water came out then i topped it up again n tightened everything up. i went for a drive a hour later and the warning light came on straight away and the engine said it was too hot and the red light came on instantly , and it has been the same since i went and got some steel sea put that in my expansion tank but it didnt work

okay so what im wondering is is my head cooked?
it has

NO MILKY SUSBSTANCE IN OIL
NO CERTAIN LOSS OF WATER
WHITE SMOKE ONLY 10 -20 SEC AFTER START UP THEN GOES AWAY
ROUGE IDEL ONLY WHEN STARTED WHEN BEEN OFF FOR OVER 5 HOURS THEN RUNS OKAY

ALTHOUGH
MY HEATERS WONT RUN HOT
THE WARNING OVERHEATED ENGINE COMES ON STRAIGHT AWAY IN RED

im really stuck here guys i dont know what to do
could it be my thermostat? air in my system? water pump? egr cooler?or is it my head?

ive asked about and most places saying its really hard to cook the heads on the diesel bm engine but i dont know how long my gf was running the car for with low or no coolant

can anyone share any advise or what they would do next
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Could be a broken water pump?

Wouldnt explain the bad starting though.

You can get a kit to test for combustion fumes in the coolant.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
mike-tomo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for help. could you link me have you done it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/lase...ijQaAtDj8P8HAQ

Theres one of them.

Many garages will have them and might test your car for less than the cost of buying the kit yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
mike-tomo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In Bmw getting diagnostic and pressure test
Appreciate 0