BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos So test drove the Scion iA

03-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

So test drove the Scion iA

I'm actually surprised by how good it is to drive, irrespective of price point. It looks hideous but is delightful to drive. Kinda feels like a BMW from the 90s (obviously a tad slower and FWD) with precise steering, great shifter, well sorted suspension and super light weight. Seriously it's only 2350 lbs. That's Miata weight.

Most of the compact/subcompact cars are either a bloat fest or a mush fest these days and this car is definitely a hidden gem that looks like a turd. I know it's a Mazda2 underneath and it would've been a perfect hatch instead of rebadged sedan.

I don't need a sedan right now, but I'm still tempted to buy one just for gigs.

Last edited by mremg; 03-14-2016 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Toyota owns Mazda? What boat did I miss?
      03-14-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

More like a business partnership. I think they plan on sharing technology, platforms etc.

Rest of the world got the new Mazda2 which is pretty decent looking while Mazda NA decided not to import them into North America. Instead, they're badged as Scion in the US and Toyota in Canada with an ugly grill.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Toyota owns Mazda? What boat did I miss?
From Wiki:

Scion iA and Toyota Yaris sedan
In November 2012, Toyota announced that the next generation Yaris sedan will be manufactured alongside the Mazda2 at Mazda's Mexico plant. The new car will be marketed in the US as the Scion iA, which made its debut at the April 2015 New York International Auto Show. Visually, the Scion iA distinguishes itself from the Mazda2 with a different front bumper and grille design. The Scion iA will be the marque's first four-door sedan and the first model not to be built in Japan. This will be the only variant of the Mazda2 (DJ) to be sold in the US.

In the United States, the Scion iA sold 7,605 units in 2015. On 3 February 2016, Toyota announced the phase out of the Scion brand. The Scion iA is one of the cars that will continue to be produced with a Toyota badge beginning with the 2017 model year.
In Canada, the Yaris features a 106 hp (79 kW), 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine with both six-speed manual and automatic transmission options. Standard-equipped features are plenty, and include power-adjustable heated exterior mirrors, keyless entry, cruise control, power windows and power door locks. This is the only variant of the Mazda2 (DJ) sold in Canada.

In Mexico, the car will be sold as the Toyota Yaris R and marketed alongside the Belta-based Yaris sedan. The car will have also the same features as the Canadian model and it will be sold in three versions. However unlike the Canadian version and the Scion iA, the Yaris R does not feature cruise control nor a pre-collision warning system, and it is the only version of the rebadged sedan which has a leather steering wheel. The Scion iA is also sold in Puerto Rico as the Toyota Yaris R, due to the popularity of the previous generation Yaris sedan, which was discontinued.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1