E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Disappointing approved BMW repair

03-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 330i M-Sport

Disappointing approved BMW repair

In September last year I had a small accident with car which involved damage to the passenger side wing, bumper and MV3 alloy wheel. The car was taken to my local BMW dealership for repair. They proceeded to transfer my car to their other branch located some 60 miles away for repair.

After some three weeks the car was delivered to me. The repair totaled £3600 of work. I was impressed with what had been renewed however I was less than impressed when I viewed the repaired alloy wheel. It seems that rather than replacing the wheel they decided to respray the wheel. Unfortunately the wheel had a blue tint (interesting as my car is le-mans blue), as I was so relieved to get my car back I just thought I would live with it even tho it was irritating me.

As I was going to be taking part in a local BMW centenary really I finally decided to bite the bullet and get BMW to fix this issue. So after about two months of waiting the car was taken away for repair. This involved another 120 mile round trip for repair. As my car is now some 10-year-old I was concerned that the repair would not match, so I asked to speak direct to the body shop. This was a funny experience as they obviously had no idea that the car was mine as they were clearly annoyed and asked why it was returned as "it was close enough!" and "if I had seen it with the owner?".

So after I introduced myself as the owner and detailed my concern the body shop indicated that they would undertake a refurbish of the back and original front wheels. However I agreed to pay £200 for the other two to be repaired to ensure that we had a consistent colour for all 4 MV3 wheels.

I have been detailing my car today and can see clear runs in at least two of the wheels. It is obvious that the wheels have simply been quickly sprayed and not refurbished. The colour is also now missing the original metallic sparkle seen in my original OEM wheels.

Do I cut my losses and buy a new set? Do I return to BMW? I am so fecked off with the experience that I fear that the BMW approved body shop will never get it right and continue to add miles to my car transporting it another 120 mile round trip.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
I would raise my concerns with issues you have with the dealer/body shop and take photos of the imperfections send these as an email to them and cc BMW Uk. I would push for the money back you put towards having the whole set sorted refunded by them and then take your wheels to a dedicated wheel refurber (and use the refunded money to have them sort it) that uses powder coating so you'll get a perfect refurb and smooth consistent hard wearing finish.
      03-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
I would raise my concerns with issues you have with the dealer/body shop and take photos of the imperfections send these as an email to them and cc BMW Uk. I would push for the money back you put towards having the whole set sorted refunded by them and then take your wheels to a dedicated wheel refurber (and use the refunded money to have them sort it) that uses powder coating so you'll get a perfect refurb and smooth consistent hard wearing finish.
Thank you. I will send them an email on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #4
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Loads of people complain about the quality of BMW wheel repair/refurb.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #5
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

A lot of the times they farm the work out but when they do it themselves they aren't that great.

As above definitely just get a refund for the money you paid towards it.
      03-14-2016, 04:20 AM   #6
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

I see you're in Cornwall, where abouts are they sending your car? It's not the BMW body shop in Plymouth is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #7
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

PM sent
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
CapnCook
Gibbon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 320d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-330i View Post
However I agreed to pay £200 for the other two to be repaired to ensure that we had a consistent colour for all 4 MV3 wheels.
I don't think you got a very good deal here tbh... even if they had done a good job.

Most wheel refurb places I've ever used charge £200-£240 for all 4 wheels. This is for a proper job too, tires removed, dipped and stripped to bare metal, and powdercoated.

Going by the £200 you paid them, they charge £100 per wheel (and they aren't very good either by the sound of them).

For £450 you can buy a whole set of wheels and tires off eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-4-G...p2047675.l2557

I bought my old set of MV3s from this forum with tires for £300.

Your best bet would be take pics as evidence and upload them to a thread on here (and Facebookl too if poss), name and shame the branch, send them the link to the thread (and/or the facebook post), demand your money back.

You got ripped off for shoddy work.

Best of luck