THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB M235i performance increase over first few months

03-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

M235i performance increase over first few months

Hi all,

My first post on the forum and i'm taking delivery of my M235i on Wednesday.

I was just wondering what have been people's experiences in terms of a performance increase after the first few months/hundred miles of driving.

I have a couple of friends with BMWs with similar engines reporting a significant performance increase.

I look forward to your feedback!

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23fizzer View Post
Hi all,

I was just wondering what have been people's experiences in terms of a performance increase after the first few months/hundred miles of driving.

I have a couple of friends with BMWs with similar engines reporting a significant performance increase.

Performance definitely increase as your pockets get lighter with each payment...
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Performance definitely increase as your pockets get lighter with each payment...

And each mod..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
Robimplicit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2; 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23fizzer View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016, delivered in mid December. i noticed a change (improved throttle response) after about 2000 miles, as I have with all other new cars after a few to several thousand miles of break-in. Also, engine performs better after 5-10 miles warm up and in warmer weather more generally.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimplicit View Post
I have a 2016, delivered in mid December. i noticed a change (improved throttle response) after about 2000 miles, as I have with all other new cars after a few to several thousand miles of break-in. Also, engine performs better after 5-10 miles warm up and in warmer weather more generally.
great, thanks so much for your reply. My brother's 435i feels very different a year in compared with when he first got it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Luv2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m240i, 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimplicit View Post
That is a pleasant surprise to hear !
Looking forward to the next few months of ownership for sure.
      03-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
omega145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 Xdrive

Is there any truth to this? Or is it a sort of placebo effect with getting used to the car and becoming a better driver due to more experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post
Is there any truth to this? Or is it a sort of placebo effect with getting used to the car and becoming a better driver due to more experience?
IMO,it's mostly a placebo effect. In my experience with new cars, it takes 10-15K miles for an engine to be completely loosened up and broken in.I define this by slightly better gas mileage. The subjective feeling of the engine is no different.

I did notice that my MT shifted much more smoothly at 2K miles than when it was new.
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

I'm not sure about the M235i but our 135i has an adaptive throttle response. The car "learns" your driving style and adjusts the throttle and shift response to match. The learned response is unique to each key fob. So, if I grab my wife's key fob, put it in sport mode, and drive the car it feels like it is stuck in a tub of molasses. After the first month of ownership we took the car to the dealer and complained they told us that is how it is supposed to work. Thanks to 1 Addicts we now know how to reset the learned response!
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam
I'm not sure about the M235i but our 135i has an adaptive throttle response. The car "learns" your driving style and adjusts the throttle and shift response to match. The learned response is unique to each key fob. So, if I grab my wife's key fob, put it in sport mode, and drive the car it feels like it is stuck in a tub of molasses. After the first month of ownership we took the car to the dealer and complained they told us that is how it is supposed to work. Thanks to 1 Addicts we now know how to reset the learned response!
My old G35 was like this as well. I would reset it about every other month.

I wish that my 235 would learn to just go ahead and go into sport mode as soon as I unlock the door lol.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
I don't think this adaptivness would apply much to the 6MT cars, but it will certainly apply to automatics. The transmission ECUs definitely learn how you drive and will adjust throttle and shift firmness to fit your typical driving style. Drive like grandma and the car will feel a bit sluggish. Drive hard all the time and the car will feel more responsive.

With that said, when you reset a car (i.e., disconnect the battery), it typically takes 40-50 run cycles for the ECM to adjust all it's baseline parameters to fit a whole host of environmental variables as well as driving style.

Lastly, engines do take time to break in and it's not common to see a little more power as the frictional losses diminish. MPG tends to increase a bit as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
I don't think this adaptivness would apply much to the 6MT cars, but it will certainly apply to automatics. The transmission ECUs definitely learn how you drive and will adjust throttle and shift firmness to fit your typical driving style. Drive like grandma and the car will feel a bit sluggish. Drive hard all the time and the car will feel more responsive.

With that said, when you reset a car (i.e., disconnect the battery), it typically takes 40-50 run cycles for the ECM to adjust all it's baseline parameters to fit a whole host of environmental variables as well as driving style.

Lastly, engines do take time to break in and it's not common to see a little more power as the frictional losses diminish. MPG tends to increase a bit as well.
I've definitely noticed that my shifts are feeling smoother. Especially from 2nd to 3rd. I'm just below 2k miles on the clock.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #13
Boosted_six
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Significantly so!

Coming up to 2k miles now and the car feels much quicker as it loosens up.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #14
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_six View Post
Significantly so!

Coming up to 2k miles now and the car feels much quicker as it loosens up.
cool, thanks for replying. i've just gone past 700 miles so i'm looking forward to seeing if i notice any performance increase.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #15
Boosted_six
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

My last car had 300bhp, up to about 1300 miles I was worried at first the M235i didn't feel that fast; I put it down to the build quality and smooth engine.

After putting some miles on the car has come alive, esp with the M performance exhaust on... now it sounds as good as it goes!
Appreciate 0