E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > I know this is a loaded question...what to charge

03-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I know this is a loaded question...what to charge

I know I know. It's all over the spectrum and not apples to apples... but I'm looking for a jumping off point on what's realistic.

I'm going after the car enthusiasts that don't know how or have time to do a full polish/corrected job. If little Johnny has candy stuck to the back seat you're not my client.

I'd like to offer 2 ways..

85 % correction with a good wax or sealant. Was thinking $250 area

95% corrected and a coating like 22ple. Was thinking $450 area

Both get a once thru the interior.

I won't be steam cleaning interiors just a condition, vacuum and windows.

Last edited by slimxb8; 03-06-2016 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eones-car.html

Take a look at that.

Would also keep in mind the cost of the products you are using. If I remember 22ple is very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Here is the truth - there is no right answer!

Common sense will tell you that you should at least charge enough to make money.... meaning you need to know what your expenses are per vehicle (product costs, rent cost per hour if you are working in shop, estimated utilities, etc). Full time operations with higher costs will often charge more as they need to cover these expenses, while a part timer working out of his garage may be able to do the same type of work for a lower price at the same profit margins because of the very low overhead costs.

From there, you need to factor in labor costs. If it is just you working on a vehicle, you must put a value on your time and expertise. This can be $10/hour or $100/hour... or whatever you want it to be. Typically more specialized services such as paint correction can justify a higher hourly rate, than basic services like washing & waxing.

Your market will also play a factor in pricing. Some areas can support premium pricing due to the average income being much higher, while other areas may require significantly lower pricing for the same tasks in order to obtain work.

Is this going to be a part time business, or a full time business? That will also play a part in determining how much you need to charge.

The Business of Detailing from a Financial Point of View by Mike @ DI
Run Your Detailing Business Like a Pro by Reece @ DI
How to Market Yourself as a Detailer by Ivan Rajic

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks Zach. Coming from being a wedding photog (https://www.facebook.com/ShannonPricePhotography/)for many years doing my own biz, I knew this was a loaded question as that got asked all the time. Its a lot of the same factors, skill, location... what you think you're worth...Also I dont want to "undervalue" what others are doing in the industry for this kind of work.

This will be a part time deal. I have a great day job, and just want to supplement my income while doing something I have always loved. Id love for it to blow up some day, but Im fine with doing 2-4 cars a month for now.

It will be at home, I have a huge garage, just me and past materials used, and elec.- water.... I prob should factor in the rent id have to pay myself, but thats down the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
When I look for a detailer, I stay away from ones that give me default-pricing. A two door coupe with only 1 person in it ever, compared to an SUV that's a family vehicle, are two different jobs. A car that's always garaged and only driven on fridays and weekends, is different than someone parking under trees with a family of birds in the same tree. ---- you need to see the car in person. It may prevent a few customers, but you may have to offer a mobil quote.

You should have a benchmark for interior, but if it's in tough shape, then you should charge $1-200 more.

Do you offer wheels? Sealing the wheels? Taking them off and detailing the barrels? Do you plan on upping your equipment for steam cleaning engine bays? Master Blaster dryers? Do you already use a foam cannon with pressure washer? Do you have good lighting and paint meters - Do you have insurance?

For me, I'd steer clear of the minivans. Mostly because I wouldn't love the product I'm putting effort into. Do you want to specialize in only the cool cars, german cars, muscle cars, SUVs? Just some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I completely agree. I will have to see the vehicle and make an honest assessment of the situation.

If an interior is so bad it needs steamed, Im gonna go out on a limb and say that you are not my customer. Take it to a detailer. Im doing what the detailers dont do.

I as a enthusiast wouldnt take my car to a "detailer" as most enthusiasts like to wash and wax their own... its their baby... but a lot of them cant do the scratch removal, and that is where I will come in.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

You will find that your price point will attract certain types of customers. We specialize in what I consider "premium" work.... meaning paint correction, paint coatings, wheels off detailing, etc. Not your run of the mill wash & wax services for $20.

To the uneducated car owner, these premium services seem very expensive, however to our customers there is a lot of value in them and they do not mind paying for the results that are achieved as they understand the difference between the $50 detail and the $1000 detail.

As a photographer, you understand this as well as anyone (if not better)... just because you can wash a car or use a camera, it doesn't mean you are a detailer or a photographer. Some people are always looking for the cheapest of everything... you know those are not the people you want to work for. Set your prices, and stick to them. It will attract the right business.

Also, I completely agree with the conversation above... we require in-person consultations with everyone who is interested in scheduling paint correction work. I must be able to inspect the paint to get an idea of what the owner is concerned with and help to provide the best service for them.

There is a lot of learning, and a lot of mistakes to be made, but like all things it just takes experience.

To get started, I would first make sure you have the legal side of things squared away... check with your state to see if you need any special permits or zoning changes to operate out of your home. You'll also likely need to file a DBA. I highly recommend general liability insurance and garage keepers insurance. Etc etc.

You can also take advantage of business wholesale accounts to save yourself some money on tools and supplies. Detailed Image has a great whole sale program... check it out.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0