E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question - Transporting car cross country in enclosed truck

03-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
wwc310
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335i

Question - Transporting car cross country in enclosed truck

Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to ship my car across the country on an enclosed carrier. Every place i've called has said that I can put 100lbs of clothes in my trunk but nothing else. They also all seem very sketchy about me putting even clothes in my trunk. Does anyone have previous experience with this? Is this really that big of a deal?

Thanks in advance

JB4 Stage 2, VRSF chargepipe, VRSF downpipe, Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
blackhawkk22
They don't want you to drive a 335i - DJ Khaled
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335i AT M-Sport

I had my car transported not too long ago, and put way more than 100lbs in the trunk and inside the car. The truck driver did not care - but he made sure I knew that if anything were to go missing, there is nothing I can do.

Also, lets say your car was damaged because of the extra weight, you can be sure they'll try to blame it on that.

I used these guys: (http://www.kingoftheroadtransport.com/). I had a great experience and would highly recommend them. FL to IL the car was delivered in 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwc310 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready to ship my car across the country on an enclosed carrier. Every place i've called has said that I can put 100lbs of clothes in my trunk but nothing else. They also all seem very sketchy about me putting even clothes in my trunk. Does anyone have previous experience with this? Is this really that big of a deal?

Thanks in advance
I had two of my vehicles transported from SoCal to NJ in 2008 ('92 Eclipse GSX and '04 long bed nissan frontier pickup). The total came out to about $800 for both... I used a broker who found someone who would transport my vehicles (They picked it up at my home in SoCal and dropped it off to me near my home in NJ).

With the broker... you have no idea who will do the transport. I used an open transport. Get some painters tape and tape up your windshield sprayers (front and rear if you have them). They recommended not putting anything in the vehicles because when they ship the cars... they are left on the transport vehicle unlocked (Anyone can steal your stuff).

I would consider plastidipping your car before the transport so you can easily see any damage and it will help with giving the car a layer of protection possibly. Make sure you find out if the transporter has insurance and that it is high enough to cover the loss of all the vehicles they are transporting (One tire blowout or an emergency maneuver means about a 8 cars that are totaled and if they have some high dollar cars along with yours... you may get the short end of the stick). Make sure what your car insurance covers while the car is out of your hands and in case $hit happens how to make a claim. Find out the transporters process for making a claim and how to properly document it. Take videos of the car at pickup time when sending and receiving it.

I would be curious at how much it would cost you today to ship the car from SoCal (please do PM me once you figure out your total in the end).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

I think the issue is theft, and not weight. As another poster stated, they won't be responsible for anything left in the car.
      03-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
I think the issue is theft, and not weight. As another poster stated, they won't be responsible for anything left in the car.
It's also when they go to vehicle check points... they don't know if someone put illegal drugs hidden in the car for "transport" thats a bigger issue vs theft of small value items.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

On a similar note, my sister in law had her car shipped to Hawaii when she moved there and lived there for ~3 years. During the process, the floor mats, jack, spare tire, etc... were all stolen out of the car.
      03-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
wwc310
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 LCI 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I had two of my vehicles transported from SoCal to NJ in 2008 ('92 Eclipse GSX and '04 long bed nissan frontier pickup). The total came out to about $800 for both... I used a broker who found someone who would transport my vehicles (They picked it up at my home in SoCal and dropped it off to me near my home in NJ).

With the broker... you have no idea who will do the transport. I used an open transport. Get some painters tape and tape up your windshield sprayers (front and rear if you have them). They recommended not putting anything in the vehicles because when they ship the cars... they are left on the transport vehicle unlocked (Anyone can steal your stuff).

I would consider plastidipping your car before the transport so you can easily see any damage and it will help with giving the car a layer of protection possibly. Make sure you find out if the transporter has insurance and that it is high enough to cover the loss of all the vehicles they are transporting (One tire blowout or an emergency maneuver means about a 8 cars that are totaled and if they have some high dollar cars along with yours... you may get the short end of the stick). Make sure what your car insurance covers while the car is out of your hands and in case $hit happens how to make a claim. Find out the transporters process for making a claim and how to properly document it. Take videos of the car at pickup time when sending and receiving it.

I would be curious at how much it would cost you today to ship the car from SoCal (please do PM me once you figure out your total in the end).
Most of the places I've found will charge around $800-1200 in an open container and 1200-2500 in an enclosed truck.

JB4 Stage 2, VRSF chargepipe, VRSF downpipe, Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s
Appreciate 1