EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

02-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
LowBoost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon: 2017 YMB CP M3

XPel Install - Question

For those with XPel, it seems that due to cost most have chosen to install on full front clip, a-pillars, rockers, and roof.

Is it worth it to attempt and to the entire vehicle or just a waste of $$$$?
I rather use the $$$ for some mods or even advances to principal balance, but I am really worried about chips, dents, or some @$$ keying a door or panel, or even the wife scratching the handles and door cups.

What are your experiences with XPel? Do you have to clay/wax often due to the difference in XPel/bare paint?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #2
phidailo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBoost View Post
For those with XPel, it seems that due to cost most have chosen to install on full front clip, a-pillars, rockers, and roof.

Is it worth it to attempt and to the entire vehicle or just a waste of $$$$?
I rather use the $$$ for some mods or even advances to principal balance, but I am really worried about chips, dents, or some @$$ keying a door or panel, or even the wife scratching the handles and door cups.

What are your experiences with XPel? Do you have to clay/wax often due to the difference in XPel/bare paint?
I agree that you would want at least a full front. It's a personal opinion if you want/need to protect the entire car and if it's worth it. I personally debated this for a while and decided to get the entire car wrapped. It's a bit overkill but my reasoning was based mostly because of living in Houston and the wife being careless. I keep all of my cars for a very long time and every car that I've own in the past has accumulated many scratches over time. As many times as I tell my wife not to carry so many things with her when she gets in and out of the car, she does it anyway and drags all of it across the door and trim, eventually leaving scratches.

Initially I decided to get full front + front doors. Then full front + all doors. Then finally thinking that I might as well get the whole car. I've had it on for a year now and it still looks good. I did get a chip on the rocker panel and front through the xpel. Overall I've been pleased and the biggest thing for me is peace of mind.

Also, I put two layers of cquartz uk on top of the xpel for ease of maintenance.

I went with Mingo from Suncap Auto. Did an excellent job although not perfect. He wrapped edges on most panels and took a week for entire car. I had to go back once to get a few things fixed but he did it with no questions. Good pricing as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
wcw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP full Cohiba

I've since spoken with LowBoost via phone. My car is also full wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. You take care of the film as you would your paint. It has an automotive clear coat on it so you can wax it etc. IMP: C-Quartz, Modesta or Opticoat (ceramic coatings) should always be applied on top of the film.
Phidailo, Xpel will warranty that film for you where the rock chips have penetrated the film. Any questions shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
LowBoost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon: 2017 YMB CP M3

Thank you both for your comments. As WCW stated, we had a nice conversation and I am set for full car wrap once I get delivery of my car.

Dang... Who said that time flies!?
Appreciate 0