BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2014 Passat Wolfsburg - Great non bmw DD for my better half...and cheap VW...

01-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

2014 Passat Wolfsburg - Great non bmw DD for my better half...and cheap VW...

So I have been planning on getting an e90 wagon with a stick for my husband for a while but the prices on the bastards are nuts (LCI). A stick 328i Wagon is commanding 335i sport money and then some with decent miles..

Anyways, I am a sales manager at a hyundai store, and we recently bought a few 2014 Passat Wolfsburgs, ex rentals, loaded except for moonroof. Thanks to the VW diesel BS, the prices on late model VWs has tanked.

For a car that is pretty much everything I don't care for - wrong wheel drive, automatic, and turbocharged, I can't get over how great this car is to drive.
Very responsive throttle with no perceivable lag esp in sport mode, excellent steering response - you can really feel the front end and its a nice ratio. Awesome visibility, very nice underrated interior and a ton of room. It reminds me a bit of my family's old e34 from when I was a kid. Great on gas too, I've been driving one for a week and averaging 32 mpg (I average 24 in my n52 stick e90 for reference). It's even decent in the snow despite the shitty all seasons, needless to say a set of snows will go on the oe wheels.

The exterior is a tad bland, but still handsome, good proportions and one of those cars that will loo good 10 yr fro now. And since I can buy this car stupid cheap, realistically we can drive it for a few years and sell it for 90% what I've got into it, especially if I put a 6 year transferable ext warranty on it for my cost.

I am just seriously impressed by this car. I can get my hands on a dark grey one with miles under 30k, I think that will be the one..

Anything I should be aware of on these? I think a mild tune and carless dp will be on order as long as the exhaust doesn't stink from it - I imagine there is a second cat downstream. It is already quick enough, but another 30 hp wouldn't hurt

Last edited by StealYourFace; 01-23-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Picked one up myself. Its a great dd for the wife.

01-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Picked one up myself. Its a great dd for the wife.

Why would anyone buy an Audi over this? (Considering it's made of the same stuff anyways)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post
Why would anyone buy an Audi over this? (Considering it's made of the same stuff anyways)
Because they want AWD? It's the primary reason why one buys an Audi over any other car for that matter. Also, keep in mind that the A4 offers considerably more power than the Passat as far as the four cylinder engines are concerned. You can opt for the VR6 in the Passat for a considerable upcharge that puts it essentially at the starting price for the AWD A4. Also bear in mind that the A4 and above use the the MLB modular matrix while all VW passenger cars use the MQB transverse architecture. The former offers better driving dynamics for larger cars, though the smaller AWD cars admittedly handle well despite the east-west engine hanging over the front axle.

Anyway, to get back on topic, good post, OP. How much has the diesel scandal affected the price of the non-diesel cars such as these Passats you have access to? Are you also able to buy used diesel models cheaply? I would think yes, though I don't know how willing/able dealerships are to deal with this.

We have a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI with 75k miles that has been a great car. I am hoping that VW will buy it back (may make more sense than fixing due to age/mileage). I'd love to find a used 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Anyway, to get back on topic, good post, OP. How much has the diesel scandal affected the price of the non-diesel cars such as these Passats you have access to? Are you also able to buy used diesel models cheaply? I would think yes, though I don't know how willing/able dealerships are to deal with this.

We have a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI with 75k miles that has been a great car. I am hoping that VW will buy it back (may make more sense than fixing due to age/mileage). I'd love to find a used 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI to replace it.

Many banks will now only finance 75-80% book value, even on gasoline powered cars - we found this out the hard way on a deal on a used base jetta. The older the car, the less effected, and it seems like GTIs are taking less of a hit.
      01-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post
The Audi and VW don't sit on the same platform (since 2011 and the Passat switched to the NMS platform) plus they are night and day different.

The Passat is noisy on the highway and has the steering precision of a 1990's era Buick.

A4 is a nicer place to be on a day to day basis.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
So I have been planning on getting an e90 wagon with a stick for my husband for a while but the prices on the bastards are nuts (LCI). A stick 328i Wagon is commanding 335i sport money and then some with decent miles..

Anyways, I am a sales manager at a hyundai store, and we recently bought a few 2014 Passat Wolfsburgs, ex rentals, loaded except for moonroof. Thanks to the VW diesel BS, the prices on late model VWs has tanked.

For a car that is pretty much everything I don't care for - wrong wheel drive, automatic, and turbocharged, I can't get over how great this car is to drive.
Very responsive throttle with no perceivable lag esp in sport mode, excellent steering response - you can really feel the front end and its a nice ratio. Awesome visibility, very nice underrated interior and a ton of room. It reminds me a bit of my family's old e34 from when I was a kid. Great on gas too, I've been driving one for a week and averaging 32 mpg (I average 24 in my n52 stick e90 for reference). It's even decent in the snow despite the shitty all seasons, needless to say a set of snows will go on the oe wheels.

The exterior is a tad bland, but still handsome, good proportions and one of those cars that will loo good 10 yr fro now. And since I can buy this car stupid cheap, realistically we can drive it for a few years and sell it for 90% what I've got into it, especially if I put a 6 year transferable ext warranty on it for my cost.

I am just seriously impressed by this car. I can get my hands on a dark grey one with miles under 30k, I think that will be the one..

Anything I should be aware of on these? I think a mild tune and carless dp will be on order as long as the exhaust doesn't stink from it - I imagine there is a second cat downstream. It is already quick enough, but another 30 hp wouldn't hurt

uhh...is something wrong with your 330?

i drove a late model Passat once and it was PISS POOR....like really bad. This 'US-spec' Passat is really really bad...it was designed and engineered specifically for the US market to appeal to Camry buyers and people who want a soft, slow sedan that they an get affordably. There is nothing really interesting or nice about it as a car. It's just a car....the most ordinary, mundane car VW makes probably.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
uhh...is something wrong with your 330?

i drove a late model Passat once and it was PISS POOR....like really bad. This 'US-spec' Passat is really really bad...it was designed and engineered specifically for the US market to appeal to Camry buyers and people who want a soft, slow sedan that they an get affordably. There is nothing really interesting or nice about it as a car. It's just a car....the most ordinary, mundane car VW makes probably.
Nope, not a thing wrong with my 330i. 170k miles and still a treat to dd, track and everything else life has to toss at it.

The Passat won't be for me, but for a very, very cheap late model car (less money than what I could buy a high mile 2009 328i sedan. It sure doesn't drive like a camry or a sonata. Nice steering feel, nice balanced daily driver for somebody that drives 20,000 mile a year. If he wants to go to the track, he can use my 330 since he would be in Novice and I'm not.
      01-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

If looking at the Passat, another car to look at is the CC which is the sexier version of the Passat.

I think the late model passats only have the 1.8t motor or a VR6 however the CC has the 2.0t that makes a bit more power. Also the older CC's will have better equipment and materials than the new CC's.

I've got a 2010 CC for my wife which she loves.

After selling off my GTI and getting an E90 M3, I moved majority of my mods over from the GTI into the CC which included a Ko4 turbo upgrade, intake, downpipe and that car has 350hp at the crank now to the front wheels. It's a pretty fast sleeper.

Compared to my M3 parts for the CC are pretty cheap, so next big vendor sale I plan to add a mechanical LSD from M-Factory and a Stoptech BBK. In the future I'll probably get forged rods and upgrade to a big turbo.

As for track days, I've actually done several track days in the CC and it does great.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have been driving a 2014 CC R-Line for the last year and a half and I really enjoy it. There are definitely some thing that annoy me (no memory seat, no sunroof, archaic nav system) but for $300/mo, I'm thrilled to bits with it. The last time I filled it up was in 2015. I also tuned it (APR) and added an intake so it moves quite nicely. The car is also sexy as fuck to look at. I park in Manhattan parking garages quite frequently and on three occasions they wrote "Silver Merc" on my claim stub. For daily drivers that don't break the bank, I've now had two separate VWs ('08.5 GTI) and both have made me extremely happy.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
If looking at the Passat, another car to look at is the CC which is the sexier version of the Passat.

I think the late model passats only have the 1.8t motor or a VR6 however the CC has the 2.0t that makes a bit more power. Also the older CC's will have better equipment and materials than the new CC's.

After selling off my GTI and getting an E90 M3, I moved majority of my mods over from the GTI into the CC which included a Ko4 turbo upgrade, intake, downpipe and that car has 350hp at the crank now to the front wheels. It's a pretty fast sleeper.

Compared to my M3 parts for the CC are pretty cheap, so next big vendor sale I plan to add a mechanical LSD from M-Factory and a Stoptech BBK. In the future I'll probably get forged rods and upgrade to a big turbo.

As for track days, I've actually done several track days in the CC and it does great.
Good to hear. Your cc isn't white is it? I've seen a white one at the glen more than once for hpde.
      01-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post

Good to hear. Your cc isn't white is it? I've seen a white one at the glen more than once for hpde.
It's never been at Watkins glen. But it is white.

I've had it streets of Willow, big Willow, and California speedway. Mainly at the VW sponsored fastivus events where you just lay $32 for a track day.

Managed to dig up a picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #13
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

And another at the last Fastivus
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #14