THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) How to Protect OEM Painted Wheels from Winter Road Chemicals?

01-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

How to Protect OEM Painted Wheels from Winter Road Chemicals?

Should I be using the same wax I use to wax the body of the car? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

You can but it won't last as long as it does on paint, regular waxes won't hold up to the brake dust that well. There are specific wheel waxes which are tougher.

I go with Detailer's Pro Series Wheel Coating, it's incredibly pricey but it holds up incredibly well to brake dust in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I think quality polish and wax does a good job of offering protection. I use BMW Natural Polish & Wax or Meguiars Show Car Glaze #7 as a pre wax clearer for tar. Though the BMW natural wax works well on tar for me.
My trick is when I wash and wax my wheels I use a P21 sponge or a Meguiars or Zymol terry applicator. I think nylon bristle brushes put a ( almost undetectable ) leave scratches on the wheel that allows brake dust and dirt to fill the micro scratched and make removal of the dirt almost impossible unless using a lot of time with clay.
I had used the BMW wheel cleaner (similar to Sonax) it's impressive but I'm afraid it's too caustic - it smells aggressive so I seldom use it.

But I can go three or four weeks w/o washing and using Zymol cheapish Car Wash with a terry applicator wash wheel and inner barrel to like new. Get tons of gray/black discharge from the applicator, but it shows me it's really wiping clean down to a like new surface.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Even the cheapest polymer sealants are more durable, heat resistant and last longer than any carnuaba based wax. Specific "wheel waxes" are fine but no better than a good sealant.

I never use wheel cleaners on my wheels. Doing so only removes any wax you put on the wheels. I use the same auto shampoo on my wheels as I do on the car paint. It's plenty strong enough to rinse brake dust off.
      01-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
Even the cheapest polymer sealants are more durable, heat resistant and last longer than any carnuaba based wax. Specific "wheel waxes" are fine but no better than a good sealant.

I never use wheel cleaners on my wheels. Doing so only removes any wax you put on the wheels. I use the same auto shampoo on my wheels as I do on the car paint. It's plenty strong enough to rinse brake dust off.

Plus one, carnuba is basically good for a couple of weeks, you put it on top of a sealer to make it pop, or add luster and depth. Not much protection.
Appreciate 0