E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Washed my car with soap and now I can see EVERYTHING...

01-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Washed my car with soap and now I can see EVERYTHING...

Hey guys, I just washed my jet black car and to my amazement, I have a ton of swirl marks. I have a grit guard and know how to wash properly but the layer of wax that I just took off was doing a good job hiding the swirl marks.

I have some ultimate compound and various pads (orange, blue, black) and a dual action. I also have ultimate finish (I think is the name) but I don't know where to start. What product should I use to get the swirls out before applying wax again?

Thanks

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
OP, Zach can you help you here, ask him anything and he is very helpful Professional Detailer, he is the best

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196641
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
N54Society
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
OP, Zach can you help you here, ask him anything and he is very helpful Professional Detailer, he is the best

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196641
Thanks! I didn't know he was doing this for us.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Jet black paint is a bit of a "fun" project... it tends to be relatively easy to remove defects, such as swirls and light scratches, but can require a lot of experience to produce a perfect finish when polishing.

If you have ultimate compound and ultimate polish at the ready, I would begin with an orange 5.5" lake country light cutting pad paired with ultimate compound. Assuming you are using a dual action machine like the Porter Cable 7424XP or Griot's Garage 3rd Generation machine, begin with moderate pressure and speed 4-5 (ensure you are maintaining pad rotation... if not, bump up the speed or use less pressure). Typically you will need to make 4-6 passes during this step working in a cross hatch pattern... ie up and down (1st pass), side to side (2nd pass), up and down (3rd pass), etc.

Follow with ultimate polish on a white polishing pad, or black finishing pad to refine the surface. Begin with a moderate pressure for the first pass or two, then transition to a light pressure. Typically you would use a slightly slower machine speed around 3-4 (again, make sure the pad maintains rotation throughout the working cycle). 3-4 passes needed usually.

Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern
Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern
Polishing How To with Meguiar’s M105 / M205 by Todd Cooperider (<- these products are similar to UC and UP)

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Always happy to help!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #5
N54Society
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Jet black paint is a bit of a "fun" project... it tends to be relatively easy to remove defects, such as swirls and light scratches, but can require a lot of experience to produce a perfect finish when polishing.

If you have ultimate compound and ultimate polish at the ready, I would begin with an orange 5.5" lake country light cutting pad paired with ultimate compound. Assuming you are using a dual action machine like the Porter Cable 7424XP or Griot's Garage 3rd Generation machine, begin with moderate pressure and speed 4-5 (ensure you are maintaining pad rotation... if not, bump up the speed or use less pressure). Typically you will need to make 4-6 passes during this step working in a cross hatch pattern... ie up and down (1st pass), side to side (2nd pass), up and down (3rd pass), etc.

Follow with ultimate polish on a white polishing pad, or black finishing pad to refine the surface. Begin with a moderate pressure for the first pass or two, then transition to a light pressure. Typically you would use a slightly slower machine speed around 3-4 (again, make sure the pad maintains rotation throughout the working cycle). 3-4 passes needed usually.

Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern
Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern
Polishing How To with Meguiar’s M105 / M205 by Todd Cooperider (<- these products are similar to UC and UP)

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Always happy to help!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Thank you so much! I'm going to jump right in tomorrow. I have ultimate compound and polish and a finishing polish from Meguiar's. I'm also using a Porter Cable DA.

Appreciate 1