European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

01-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

So...what's really going on with the US allocation?

I'm currently No.2 on the list at a big local dealer, talked to the manager a few times and so far they have no information the the allocation yet. (according to him)

While it does seem like the US allocation is indeed not available at this time, some are claiming that BMW NA is asking for potential buyer bio and doing an interview. Talked to the guys at my local dealer and seems like they are not aware of it, and it's just really confusing at this time.

So.....what's really going on with the US allocation for the M4 GTS right now?
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
chetsstm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

My limited understanding is that a portion of the allocations will be made to dealers, presumably large ones with high M sales and the balance to individuals through the rest of the dealer network. My dealer is on the smaller side and they did receive a request from BMW NA asking for my bio including current list of vehicles and inquiring about my involvement in my community. When you figure the larger dealers will get 2+ cars that leaves a lot of dealers getting none at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetsstm3 View Post
My dealer ..... did receive a request from BMW NA asking for my bio including ..... my involvement in my community.
I really find this policy difficult to believe. But, if true, it's such a crock on so many levels.
The idea people in a car company would produce a social litmus test to qualify for one of their cars is rebarbative. It would not be the engineers who make the car that would be behind such a scheme, either. It would be the nimrods who run marketing. Small consolation - if, as I mentioned, such a policy actually exists.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
W12x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetsstm3 View Post
My limited understanding is that a portion of the allocations will be made to dealers, presumably large ones with high M sales and the balance to individuals through the rest of the dealer network. My dealer is on the smaller side and they did receive a request from BMW NA asking for my bio including current list of vehicles and inquiring about my involvement in my community. When you figure the larger dealers will get 2+ cars that leaves a lot of dealers getting none at all.
So if what you said is correct, then I guess the a major portion of the 300 US allocations will go to large dealers with high M sales, and no bio required. And customers who wish to get this car from small dealers will have to submit their bio and compete for the rest of the allocation?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
jonze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Sakhir M3, 2015 X5

I love M cars but applying the LeFerrari method to picking buyers is just stupid.
      01-15-2016, 02:47 AM   #6
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

BMWNA & the M4 GTS.

I have to say, pretty disappointed in how little BMWNA has been involved with the release of such a halo car.

Other countries already have orders in, BMW Canada just released they're offering a special Euro-delivery and trip with their M4 GTS and M2 buyers, yet here in BMW's biggest market not a peep yet.

Come on BMWNA, step it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #7
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
Come on BMWNA, step it up.
Love the "Come on BMW" quotes. Sorry.
      01-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #8
PeterKBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Couple BMW's

Every dealer is supposed to submit a bio, period. It doesn't matter if you're a high volume store or not, there's no guarantee for anyone.
Past: 2014 BMW 528xi Msport/2015 BMW M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
W12x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKBMW View Post
Every dealer is supposed to submit a bio, period. It doesn't matter if you're a high volume store or not, there's no guarantee for anyone.
If I may ask, do you know who at the dealership should be the one that receives this information?

I talked to the sales and sales manager and none of them know a thing about the bio, it's amazing how many times and how many different people you have to talk to just to get the information at an US dealership if you are not walking in and buying one of their car off the car.
      01-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
prolif1k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Fashion Grey F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I really find this policy difficult to believe. But, if true, it's such a crock on so many levels.
The idea people in a car company would produce a social litmus test to qualify for one of their cars is rebarbative. It would not be the engineers who make the car that would be behind such a scheme, either. It would be the nimrods who run marketing. Small consolation - if, as I mentioned, such a policy actually exists.
This is 100% true actually. We received an email from our district manager asking if we had any customers interested in an M4 GTS (which we did). We were asked to send a bio along with why we think they should get one of them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolif1k View Post
This is 100% true actually. We received an email from our district manager asking if we had any customers interested in an M4 GTS (which we did). We were asked to send a bio along with why we think they should get one of them.
Did your district manager tell you he wanted you to list the social tendencies of your customers which would justify their purchase of the car? That's the crux of the issue.
Or is the district manager just interested in how many M cars the customer has previously owned? A way different selection criteria, and one that, I believe, would make sense to apply.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
A customer bio can be very benign. In which case, it's no big deal.
But, if, in that bio, BMW is reaching for information on how a customer conducts his or her personal life (which is what one poster on this thread claims is happening) then it is a big deal. Period
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I know the GM of our local BMW dealership fairly well and he said he had to submit bios to BMW for his interested customers making a case for the allocation. No thanks lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #14
PeterKBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W12x
Quote:
If I may ask, do you know who at the dealership should be the one that receives this information?

I talked to the sales and sales manager and none of them know a thing about the bio, it's amazing how many times and how many different people you have to talk to just to get the information at an US dealership if you are not walking in and buying one of their car off the car.
Our regional manager emailed us on a Monday a couple weeks ago (from memory, I think it was back in November). We had to submit the bio by that wed. I spent a couple hours composing it, and my General Manager sent it to our regional manager. If your advisor never told you anything or doesn't know anything, it may be too late.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
PeterKBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
A customer bio can be very benign. In which case, it's no big deal.
But, if, in that bio, BMW is reaching for information on how a customer conducts his or her personal life (which is what one poster on this thread claims is happening) then it is a big deal. Period
They have no interest in what you do for a living, etc. They want the car to go to an enthusiast who will take it to vehicle events where the car can be appreciated. They don't want it going to someone who wants to flip it for a profit, someone who just wants the most expensive M4, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #16
W12x
Captain
Rep

Just got a call from the sales this afternoon saying that he was just told by his GM to submit a bio, not sure what's going on but submitted it anyways.

If you have to be a huge BMW guy to get an allocation, then I'm screwed, since we only owned two BMWs including my M3. But if it's car enthusiast in general, then I got several other performance vehicles.
      01-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #17
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
They don't want it going to someone who wants to flip it for a profit, someone who just wants the most expensive M4, etc etc.
Bio or no bio, there is no way BMW can prevent a customer from, as you suggest, flipping the car after the customer has paid for it. Or, as you also suggest, from owning it for the single reason it's the most expensive M4 around.
And BMW knows all that. BMW knows a bio does not make them mind readers. Instead, they recognize a customer is free to do what he or she wants with the car after the car is theirs. And they know they are not going to be able to channel the car in some preconceived direction.

Last edited by fuddman; 01-16-2016 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary comment
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
PeterKBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
They don't want it going to someone who wants to flip it for a profit, someone who just wants the most expensive M4, etc etc.
Bio or no bio, there is no way BMW can prevent a customer from, as you suggest, flipping the car after the customer has paid for it. Or, as you also suggest, from owning it for the single reason it's the most expensive M4 around.
And BMW knows all that. BMW knows a bio does not make them mind readers. Instead, they recognize a customer is free to do what he or she wants with the car after the car is theirs. And they know they are not going to be able to channel the car in some preconceived direction.
The fact that you believe that I'm implying that BMW thinks that they can keep these cars in enthusiast hands through bio reviews is unbelievable. Get off your high horse buddy, you're arguing for the sake of arguing. I WORK FOR BMW, and this is what I have been informed of. Absolutely none of my statements have been fabricated. The bio's sole purpose is for BMW to try their absolute best to keep these vehicles in enthusiast hands. Naturally, if a client has a long track record of M cars in their history, they may be more inclined to keep it.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
Stevens21234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 + 991.1 GT3

Quote:
The fact that you believe that I'm implying that BMW thinks that they can keep these cars in enthusiast hands through bio reviews is unbelievable. Get off your high horse buddy, you're arguing for the sake of arguing. I WORK FOR BMW, and this is what I have been informed of. Absolutely none of my statements have been fabricated. The bio's sole purpose is for BMW to try their absolute best to keep these vehicles in enthusiast hands. Naturally, if a client has a long track record of M cars in their history, they may be more inclined to keep it.
So I doubt they're letting people lease this car right? That would be pretty laughable.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:39 PM   #20
fuddman
Major
Rep

Quote:
.......if a client has a long track record of M cars in their history......
I think your on to it, here.
They don't care if you're an enthusiast. They don't care if you flip it or keep it. If you've financially supported M Division by consistently purchasing M cars, then have a reward. And do whatever you want with it. IMO, their intent is no more complicated than that.
What seems to me more complicated (and more interesting) is how they plan on executing their intent - whatever that may be. Does M Division (or whoever the sage might be), for example, identify to the dealer the chosen one? And, of course, who gets to set the price for the chosen one? And suppose the chosen one declines to buy it, say because the dealers "market adjustment" seems a bit out of wack? Where would the car it go next?
Perhaps, since you work for BMW, you could provide some insight on these questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:20 AM   #21
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
And suppose the chosen one declines to buy it, say because the dealers "market adjustment" seems a bit out of wack? Where would the car it go next?
Perhaps, since you work for BMW, you could provide some insight on these questions.
I would assume the next pre-approved bio dude in line. They wouldn't just submit "ONE", Highlander level bio approval for a GTS. Logically, they will have a few buyers lined up for allocations.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
PeterKBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens21234
Quote:
So I doubt they're letting people lease this car right? That would be pretty laughable.
I'm sure you'll be able to lease one, I would not be surprised if the made the residual crap like the 30th anniversary M5.
Appreciate 0