F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Spotify Android in BMW?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Spotify Android in BMW?

I notice the BMW connected drive app for android now shows a spotify icon...

But I can't seem to get it to connect in car via USB cable...

Heard rumours it only works on the 7 series, which seems a bit weird, as I'd bet the electronics gubbins is nearly identical in all the cars...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Roberto71
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB E220d

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post
I notice the BMW connected drive app for android now shows a spotify icon...

But I can't seem to get it to connect in car via USB cable...

Heard rumours it only works on the 7 series, which seems a bit weird, as I'd bet the electronics gubbins is nearly identical in all the cars...
Yeah, still not available for Android users :-( The icon is there, but it's useless.

It's still a problem for car manufacturers, they all seemed geared to iOS as it's one system and not much changes. Android is on multiple devices with many having skins on them. Us Android users are at the back of the queue.

I'm even thinking of going back to an iPhone just to get full compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
TB_330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 330i Tanzanite Blue

As OP said, presently only new 7 series but bmw "working" to bring to whole lineup.

It's a right pita buy I will need some convincing to switch phones just for that reason!

Has anyone tried the iPod touch route? Can get one fairly cheap now and just leave it plugged in armrest. You can then do some tasker magic to turn on the Android phones WiFi hotshot when it connects to cars Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Roberto71
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_330i View Post
As OP said, presently only new 7 series but bmw "working" to bring to whole lineup.

It's a right pita buy I will need some convincing to switch phones just for that reason!

Has anyone tried the iPod touch route? Can get one fairly cheap now and just leave it plugged in armrest. You can then do some tasker magic to turn on the Android phones WiFi hotshot when it connects to cars Bluetooth.
I tried a hook up today with my old iPhone 4S. Downloaded the BMW Connected App and have Spotify on it and downloaded songs on Spotify to my phone. I don't have a sim card in it. I couldn't get the car to hook up to the App on the iPhone as I guess it needs the data connection. So that solution is gone for me....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
TB_330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 330i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto71
Quote:

I tried a hook up today with my old iPhone 4S. Downloaded the BMW Connected App and have Spotify on it and downloaded songs on Spotify to my phone. I don't have a sim card in it. I couldn't get the car to hook up to the App on the iPhone as I guess it needs the data connection. So that solution is gone for me....
Yeh thats where the WiFi hotspot comes in. If you turn it on for the android phone you use daily then connect the iPhone to it, it will effectively have a data connection and should work. Others on the forum have done it this way.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Roberto71
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Yeh thats where the WiFi hotspot comes in. If you turn it on for the android phone you use daily then connect the iPhone to it, it will effectively have a data connection and should work. Others on the forum have done it this way.
I have to say that sounds a pain in the ar*e to me. Even the way I tried still seemed fussy. I'd have left the iPhone in the car as an iPod touch, but really I'd just like to use my everyday phone for it all.

It's not a huge deal, I've transferred a huge amount if music on my Mac to the car via USB transfer. I'm sure it will come soon enough to Android.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Spotify on Android just want work. tried many times in end folder and got a 6s and use this now.

Only way you can use spotify on android is to use bluetooth streaming. Pain is then you have to touch the phone to control it. Annoying when trying to find playlist and not mention a tag dangerous when driving. Not fan of iphones but price had to be paid
      01-11-2016, 05:19 AM   #8
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Don't worry guys, Spotify on Iphone in the BMW is awful. Bugs galore. I just end up shouting at Idrive and going back to the radio. There are quite a few threads on how awful Spotify is in a BMW on here, so if the Android version is anything like the IOS one I wouldn't bother waiting. Amazon Music or Napster work very well.
      01-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #9
siross
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
Don't worry guys, Spotify on Iphone in the BMW is awful. Bugs galore. I just end up shouting at Idrive and going back to the radio. There are quite a few threads on how awful Spotify is in a BMW on here, so if the Android version is anything like the IOS one I wouldn't bother waiting. Amazon Music or Napster work very well.
With Amazon music can you use the iDrive to select playlists/albums etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #10
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Cant say had any issues with spotify since moved to IOS
      01-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by siross View Post
With Amazon music can you use the iDrive to select playlists/albums etc?
Don't think so as there's no Connected Drive app for it. I used it for a bit on my Samsung Galaxy S6 which meant had to control on the phone itself and gave up after a week - crashed all the time, tracks would stop half way through, waste of time. Gone back to using USB
Appreciate 0