E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Buzzing vibration at Idle after fluid changes

12-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
pez319
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Buzzing vibration at Idle after fluid changes

Hi,

So I changed my engine oil, engine coolant, power steering fluid, and ATF with filter last week. Now I'm getting this buzzing vibration when the car is idling, it's much more noticeable at a cold start. I can feel it on the floor, my seat and steering wheel. I made sure the car was level and the temp was between 80-120F with an infrared thermometer before I started. I used the VAICO brand AT filter so I'm thinking maybe that's whats causing it? I did a previous drain and refill a few months ago and it was fine. I'm using castrol GM Dex 6 for the transmission, mobil 1 0w-40 for the engine oil, pentosin 11S for the PS, and BMW coolant.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Re-check your power steering fluid level.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
pez319
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Re-check your power steering fluid level.
Yea I think I'll remove some via the return line banjo bolt. That's where I originally drained from. Do you think it matters which orientation the return line is sitting at or maybe there's still air in system?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez319 View Post
Yea I think I'll remove some via the return line banjo bolt. That's where I originally drained from. Do you think it matters which orientation the return line is sitting at or maybe there's still air in system?
No just check the current level from the top and add more as necessary. I think there could of been air in the system that was automatically bled out. And now you are left with low power steering fluid.

Unscrew the cap on top, wipe the rod dry with a paper towel then put cap back on then take it back out seeing the power steering fluid level.

Let me know if there's any improvement in the buzzing
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
pez319
Rep

Quote:
No just check the current level from the top and add more as necessary. I think there could of been air in the system that was automatically bled out. And now you are left with low power steering fluid.

Unscrew the cap on top, wipe the rod dry with a paper towel then put cap back on then take it back out seeing the power steering fluid level.

Let me know if there's any improvement in the buzzing
I checked the PS reservoir and it's full. I think PS issue's usually have a groaning vibration.

I'm thinking I should reset the transmission adaptations. Maybe with 75k miles on the original ATF the different friction of the new fluid is causing troubles.

I made a video of the PS reservoir while the car was on. I thought I read somewhere that the fluid inside should be swirling when the car is on. I tried moving the steering wheel to see if it changed anything but nope. Maybe the filter inside the reservoir got clogged?

Last edited by pez319; 12-24-2015 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Added Video of PS reservoir
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Re-check your transmission fluid? I forgot exactly but there's a process where you have to add more after changing the fluid. Like it sucks it up or something.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
pez319
Rep

Quote:
Re-check your transmission fluid? I forgot exactly but there's a process where you have to add more after changing the fluid. Like it sucks it up or something.
I rechecked it twice. I can't add anymore fluid.

Does the PS reservoir make sense? I thought the fluid was supposed to be swirling around when the car is on?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
pez319
Rep

So I figured out what the problem was. It's kind of stupid. The return line for the PS that I opened was torqued up and touching the engine when I tightened it. It made a small mark. Kind of impressive how much vibration it made.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

You filled the trans with engine off then started it allowed it to get to 32* C then topped it off correct ?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
pez319
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
You filled the trans with engine off then started it allowed it to get to 32* C then topped it off correct ?
I drove around until the transmission was warmed up and then drained. I then filled it with the engine off as much as I could. Then I started it and continued to fill slowly while shifting through the gears. I left the car on for 5-10 min until it warmed up again and then filled until a small stream of ATF flowed out.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #11
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

OK just making sure you filled it right.

Didn't realize you fixed it either. Good find before it turned ugly and rubbed through
Appreciate 0