M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

12-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Compatible engine coolant

Had the car in for the coolant clamp and heat shield recall a month ago... no problems just finally got around to doing it. When I went to start the car today I received the illustrious low coolant warning. I took my truck to my derivatives and plan to resolve tomorrow since the car is at the house.

I saw where some said it may just be a fluke but since I know someone has touched the system fairly recently I may want to go get some coolant to have incase I am out some where and need it or if I need to top it off prior to taking to the dealer.

The question is can I use something like Pentosin PF-NF in the vehicle as a coolant top off or do I need to use something different? [the whole uniqueness of BMW thing has made me shy away from just picking up the Prestone "safe for all models and makes" antifreeze]
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:14 AM   #2
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

I guess I have my answer...saw where another forum member used Pentosin. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035364

And the Pentosin coolant spec sheet (http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_NF.pdf) appears to call out the OE part number explicitly (82 14 2 209 769).

Have a small amount of dried antifreeze under the plastic cover....looks like I'll top it off and head to the dealer this morning so they can "re-actively fix" the the thing that they already "proactively fixed."

Update:

Inspected the car (once the sun was up) and could not find any leaks on any of the fittings, no dried crud either, only what was on the shield. I started the car up - no warning remained. It is possible that dried coolant was "pre-fix" and the dealer didn't clean it off. I drove the car through out the day yesterday (~60 miles) without any warnings or alerts. I have 1.5 bottle of the Pentosin NF now that I will just keep with me incase it reappears while I am on a business/pleasure trip.

Last edited by johntomferg; 12-06-2015 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0