E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replacing Head Bolt with minimal intake manifold movement ?

12-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
arlovarri
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 330i & 07 Z4

Replacing Head Bolt with minimal intake manifold movement ?

I just did an OFHG and noticed that I have the troublesome broken external head bolt right behind the oil filter housing area. The bolt head was nearby and it broke right below the head. The leak is very minimal. I read somewhere that if you loosen the manifold just a bit you can get this done without completely removing the manifold ? Any experience with this ? What's the easiest way to just replace this one bolt ? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
arlovarri
Enlisted Member
Rep

specifically this is what I read on a post regarding a 325i

"Remove the 2 bolts holding the air box; disconnect the front intake...
Unbolt the 3 bolts and 3 nuts...
3. Move it by gentle pulling the intake up, the studs will be a guide... The air box and throttle body will move with it!"

I think he means if you just pull it directly out an inch or so you could remove/insert the bolt through the gap and leave the manifold and all the stuff hanging on it intact which would save a lot of time. Does this sound right ? I just looked at the engine and it seems possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

That is what I had done to remove the oil filter housing bolt there. Removed the nuts and bolts on the manifold, and pulled it out about an inch with everything else intact. Be careful with the nuts when putting them back, I dropped one into the depths of the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Rick335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i / 2014 328i / 2017 X

It is possible. Just remove the intake filter housing, then unbolt the 11mm nuts and screws holding down the intake manifold. Pull the manifold as far as you can to expose the broken torx bolt. Remove the broken torx bolt and install new one. Torque to spec and reinstall intake manifold and other parts back to cylinder head. Usually when the outside one breaks then the other 3 inside will or are already broken. The kit will come with all 4 cylinder head torx stay bolts. I would feel more comfortable replacing all 4 but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
arlovarri
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got it done fairly easily. Had to drill a small hole in the bolt shank and back it out with a narrow woodworking spade bit. It came out easily. Duct tape fit well over the intake to keep shavings out. Very few were produced and the aluminum drilled out like butter. I used q-tips on a needle nose to clean out the hole and the area. The only things I unbolted were engine cover, manifold, power steering and air box. this allowed plenty of room just by moving these things to the side. you can also move the bracket that holds the engine cover for more room. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0