E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 325i Engine Tick Issue

11-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
grimmer
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

325i Engine Tick Issue

Hi, had my 325i for a week now, and seems like i have the common lifter tick issue.

Its a 2006 with 88k

How bad is this?, it does go after about 10mins of warming up.

Ive read that a full fix is a new head.

Has anyone had any luck with additives or different grade of oil?, its running 5w-30 fully at the moment

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
namsu2430
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 N52 325i

My 07 E92 325i also does the same. Only known cure is a full head replacement. Reading into it when I bought the car earlier this year it causes no detrimental effect on the engine or any wear. What I did was follow this link

Procedure preconditions:

Engine oil level correct – neither underfilled nor overfilled

Engine running at operating temperature

1.) Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000-3000 rpm and maintain this condition for three minutes (bleeding procedure).

Let the engine idle for 15-30 seconds and reevaluate whether the noise is still present or not.

2.) Engine quiet – procedure is finished.

3.) Engine noise is still present – repeat the procedure; perform steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.

4.) Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times: proceed by performing the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000-3000 rpm, but for a total time duration of 15 minutes.

worked for me.

If it goes away when its warm or the above then don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
grimmer
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

i think Ive just about cured this now, reading on many other forums and through personal experience with other cars i had, i added a quarter of bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer heavy duty one, a bottle of cataclean fuel system cleaner and switched to super unleaded.

First few days, no difference, but around 4 days after i noticed the tap seemed quieter from cold. A few days after it was just about gone, just the odd few seconds of tick.

its been 10 days now and nothing, all quiet now, these results are from cold start ups.

Car is running 5w-30 which has covered about 4k
Appreciate 0