BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Speed limit assist feature ?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2015, 04:32 AM   #1
did75
Private First Class
24
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2016 f48 x1 xline (eu spec)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France

iTrader: (0)

Speed limit assist feature ?

Hi,

While still waiting for the delivery of my EU spec x1, I was wandering through the user manual and discovered a feature I didn't know existed on bmws : speed limit assist.

This works by combining speed limiter and road signs recognition. When a speed limit change is detected by reading a road sign, it suggests to adapt the limiter to the new value (either up or down) by using the cruise control / speed limiter rocker switch on the steering wheel.

Sounds pretty cool. however I didn't find any video or mention of this anywhere related to bmws. Does anyone know how this work in real life ? I wonder if it's also possible to adjust the ACC cruise speed according to road signs which would be even better.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
smv
Private
6
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: F48 X1 25D Xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Also waiting for my X1 with the same option, but currently driving a rental 1 series with the speed limiter function and road sign recognition. (Not ACC though..). The way it works (on the 1 series) is that the limits are recognised and displayed on your dashboard, but then you have to adjust the limit yourself with the rocker button. Once adjusted, you cannot exceed it, accelerator does not function beyond that limit UNLESS pressed hard to override it ( I assume a safety feature for a critical overpass). One thing to note also is that there are two distinctive modes of operation. Either cruise control or speed limit function. I tend to believe that the ACC will be linked to the cruise control functionality, i.e. setting a distance to the fwd vehicle and cruise along. NOT to the limiter function, which will make things too complicated long with ACC (more thinking and brain work of which mode you are at at any given time, therefore taking the joy of riding the car yourself..) But still waiting to see how both systems will function on the X1!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #3
KPD
Lieutenant
KPD's Avatar
United Kingdom
169
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

It's fantastic. I ALWAYS use the limiter and this makes life a lot easier.

You have to have the limiter activated. Say, you're doing 30mph with the limiter. Camera detects that you are approaching a 50mph zone. Once you're passed the traffic sign, you should see the new sign readout on HUD with an arrow pointing upwards right next to it. The arrow stays there for a few seconds. Press and scroll up while the arrow is shows and limiter jumps to 50mph from 30. You won't have to hold the rocker to reach 50mph manually.

The arrow is only shown for a few seconds in case the camera has picked up the wrong speed sign (happens occasionally in the city, although it's rare). Automatic detection only kicks in AFTER you've passed the speed sign. This is for legal reasons. Here in the UK at least, new speed limit starts from the speed sign onwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
andyurq
New Member
5
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2016 X1 2.0i X-line
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Wirral, UK

iTrader: (0)

KPD - this speed limiter thingy sounds useful but I'm not clear whether it comes as part of a cruise package or is it standalone ? My much-delayed X1 (now vaguely promised for Wk 51 instead of Wk 42) will have Nav Plus incl HUD and also Driver Assist (inc speed signs recognition) but not cruise control. The American Owner's Manual that you put me on to isn't terribly clear on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
KPD
Lieutenant
KPD's Avatar
United Kingdom
169
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyurq View Post
KPD - this speed limiter thingy sounds useful but I'm not clear whether it comes as part of a cruise package or is it standalone ? My much-delayed X1 (now vaguely promised for Wk 51 instead of Wk 42) will have Nav Plus incl HUD and also Driver Assist (inc speed signs recognition) but not cruise control. The American Owner's Manual that you put me on to isn't terribly clear on the matter.
It requires Driving Assist pack (5AS). Speed limiter itself is standard on all trims. But "Speed Limit Assist" requires "Speed Limit Info" which is part of camera based driving assists.

You don't need adaptive cruise control (part of Driving Assist PLUS 5AT). If you use limiter as much as I do, you are going to love this feature. It's super useful.

I don't think Speed Limit Assist is mentioned in the US manual. It's mentioned in my iPad/iPhone interactive user manual though. You'll need your VIN to download it.

Last edited by KPD; 11-26-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
did75
Private First Class
24
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2016 f48 x1 xline (eu spec)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France

iTrader: (0)

Sounds promising. See capture from driver's guide app

Still no word on wheter acc+ also adapts to the limit magically or not.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 01:10 AM   #7
ikitasa
Registered
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: F48 X1 25i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Unfortunately I don't think this feature is available in Australia. I am trying to find out more information, but can't find the relevant options in my iDrive menu (although it talks about it in the user manual).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
KPD
Lieutenant
KPD's Avatar
United Kingdom
169
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikitasa View Post
Unfortunately I don't think this feature is available in Australia. I am trying to find out more information, but can't find the relevant options in my iDrive menu (although it talks about it in the user manual).
I don't have the iDrive menus described in the manual either. But the feature is there and it works brilliantly. If you have Driving Assist (5AS) or Driving Assist Plus (5AT), enable the speed limiter and look for a green arrow on your HUD/instrument cluster right next to the displayed speed sign.

I'm afraid I can't confirm if it works with ACC or not. I only have the standard cruise control.

Last edited by KPD; 11-27-2015 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
did75
Private First Class
24
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2016 f48 x1 xline (eu spec)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Paris, France

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by did75 View Post
Sounds promising. See capture from driver's guide app

Still no word on wheter acc+ also adapts to the limit magically or not.
I can now confirm this works as explained before and as in the manual.

So far I've only seen this in action withe the speed limiter on. It looks like it does not suggest speed changes for cruise control in acc mode at least (didn't try the regular cruise control)

Brilliant stuff by the way!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
BMW-X1MAN
New Member
United Kingdom
4
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: X1 Sdrive 18d SE
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
It requires Driving Assist pack (5AS). Speed limiter itself is standard on all trims. But "Speed Limit Assist" requires "Speed Limit Info" which is part of camera based driving assists.

You don't need adaptive cruise control (part of Driving Assist PLUS 5AT). If you use limiter as much as I do, you are going to love this feature. It's super useful.

I don't think Speed Limit Assist is mentioned in the US manual. It's mentioned in my iPad/iPhone interactive user manual though. You'll need your VIN to download it.
Hi KPD,
My X1 hasn't got (5AS) but speed limiter is there as a standard, the question is will my speed limit adjust itself when road sign changes or do I have to change it manually?

I tried once and didn't change after passing road signs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #11
bmtespar
Major
bmtespar's Avatar
United_States
598
Rep
1,053
Posts

Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Atlanta Ga

iTrader: (0)

Interesting. My X1 does not offer this kind of adjustment. I have speed limit info and acc but it never offers to change speed. I also have the same packages on another BMW and it doesn't do it. I am thinking this is not available in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
KPD's Avatar
United Kingdom
169
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X1MAN View Post
Hi KPD,
My X1 hasn't got (5AS) but speed limiter is there as a standard, the question is will my speed limit adjust itself when road sign changes or do I have to change it manually?

I tried once and didn't change after passing road signs

Hi @BMW-X1MAN,

My understanding is that it only works if you have "Speed Limit Assist", which needs camera based "Speed Limit Info" (included in both driving assist packs).

So if you don't have Speed Limit Info (i.e. if you don't have 5AS or 5AT), the limit you see on your dash/hud will be taken from your SatNav.

I can only presume that the feature is disabled because those numbers could be unreliable (on variable speed motorways for example, SatNav says 70mph, variable sign says something else). But I'm just guessing here. It could just as well be a marketing reason. I really wouldn't know.

There is more on this here: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1196696 Looks like the feature varies for every market. My info is only based on the UK market and my own car.


bmtespar I don't have any info about the US models unfortunately. Even the button layout on the steering wheel is different for you guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #13
BMW-X1MAN
New Member
United Kingdom
4
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: X1 Sdrive 18d SE
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Hi @BMW-X1MAN,

My understanding is that it only works if you have "Speed Limit Assist", which needs camera based "Speed Limit Info" (included in both driving assist packs).

So if you don't have Speed Limit Info (i.e. if you don't have 5AS or 5AT), the limit you see on your dash/hud will be taken from your SatNav.

I can only presume that the feature is disabled because those numbers could be unreliable (on variable speed motorways for example, SatNav says 70mph, variable sign says something else). But I'm just guessing here. It could just as well be a marketing reason. I really wouldn't know.

There is more on this here: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1196696 Looks like the feature varies for every market. My info is only based on the UK market and my own car.


bmtespar I don't have any info about the US models unfortunately. Even the button layout on the steering wheel is different for you guys.
Hi KPD,

Thanks for the info, I just tested it, as you said the speed limit sign comes from the SatNav, the limiter button is quite useless without DA as you need to change it manually to suit your speed limit and does not change when speed limit sings changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
KPD
Lieutenant
KPD's Avatar
United Kingdom
169
Rep
551
Posts

Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Surrey

iTrader: (0)

Depends on personal preference I guess. I've always preferred limiter to cruise control in all my previous cars. Some people are the other way around. And some, like my father, never use either of them!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST