E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Tips on Quick Detailer & Quick Wax after drying?

11-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Brettb1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 6MT 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Tips on Quick Detailer & Quick Wax after drying?

I'm having trouble using quick detailer and quick wax after drying for whatever reason. I always seem to get streaking when I do it no matter how little (or more) I use.

I've seen to mist some either on the paint and wipe dry or on the quality MF towel and wipe dry. This is after drying most of the car off with a waffle weave.

Just looking to get the last drops of water off and to get a nice look with a little protection.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 04:50 AM   #2
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

There are many variables at work here. To properly guide you, I must ask you a few more questions.

Which products are you using ????

Are you doing this in direct sun light????

What type of MF towels are you using??? Not all MF towels are created equal..

How many MF towels are you using??? are they short nap or long????

Are you mainly looking to use QD as a drying aid???
      11-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

^^ All great questions that would really help to know the answers to

Some products can be a really finicky to use. My personal choice in quick detailer for this type of application is Meguiar's D156. While this product is labeled as a spray wax, it is truly a synthetic detailer that contains polymers for added slickness and temporary protection... so even though there is no actual wax, it works in the same manner that a traditional spray wax would.

This product can be used in direct sunlight in a pinch, though you shouldn't ever be washing your car in direct sunlight anyway.

After washing my vehicle, I will sheet the majority of the water off, then I will mist D156 onto the panel I am getting ready to dry, and then go over it with a waffle weave microfiber towel. A couple of light passes with a towel and the finish is slick and shiny.

Product Review: Meguiar’s D156 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax by Zach McGovern

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Brettb1234
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have the Optimum Wax (in the spray bottle) and Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. As well as Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer (G144) and Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax (not the one listed above).

Not using any in direct sunlight. I usually use Chemical Guys MIC50612 MF.

I'm basically looking to getting the car completely dry without scratching. Also looking to get an easy layer of protection for the paint for my frequent washes in between using sealants. Not sure if I can do both these things with one easy pass?

This is all after I've sheeted as best I could and then using a waffle weave towel to dry most of the car. Never really thought of using the product with the waffle weave...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
There are many variables at work here. To properly guide you, I must ask you a few more questions.

Which products are you using ????

Are you doing this in direct sun light????

What type of MF towels are you using??? Not all MF towels are created equal..

How many MF towels are you using??? are they short nap or long????

Are you mainly looking to use QD as a drying aid???
I would agree with the above answer these questions and we should be on to assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #6
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
^^ All great questions that would really help to know the answers to

Some products can be a really finicky to use. My personal choice in quick detailer for this type of application is Meguiar's D156. While this product is labeled as a spray wax, it is truly a synthetic detailer that contains polymers for added slickness and temporary protection... so even though there is no actual wax, it works in the same manner that a traditional spray wax would.

This product can be used in direct sunlight in a pinch, though you shouldn't ever be washing your car in direct sunlight anyway.

After washing my vehicle, I will sheet the majority of the water off, then I will mist D156 onto the panel I am getting ready to dry, and then go over it with a waffle weave microfiber towel. A couple of light passes with a towel and the finish is slick and shiny.

Product Review: Meguiar’s D156 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax by Zach McGovern

Zach McGovern

Bingo!!!! You got your answer.

Using a Quick Detailer as a drying aid is a great way to reduce maring during the drying stage....plus it would also add a little protection to the surface at the same time. I tend to open up the drying towel and drag it against the paint then immediately do a quick wipe or two with another clean MF.

For the ultimate touchless drying...get your self one of these.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Metro-V...ar-Dryer-P916/

or its little brother (but this would takes a bit more time).
http://www.detailedimage.com/Metro-V...k-Blower-P853/
      11-14-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Brettb1234
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks guys!

I tried again for today's wash and it worked out well. I think the issue was I was spraying too much product onto the MF then wiping thinking it wasn't that much.

I tried misting onto a panel and wiping dry with a waffle weave and that did the trick.

Zach, also got around to using the CarPro HydrO2 stuff on my wheels today and man that stuff is so awesome and easy, felt like I was cheating.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Did you get that detailing kit from DI and how is it working?
      11-15-2015, 12:57 AM   #9
Brettb1234
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Did you get that detailing kit from DI and how is it working?
No, I think I'm going to get the Griot's 6in DA when I get around to it. Decided on that because of reviews and lifetime warranty (especially useful since I plan to keep it forever but only use it several times a year). Going to try the Griot's fast correction creme, Meguiar's M100 (supposed to be similar to 105 but doesn't dry out as quick), M205 along with some Lake Country pads orange, white, one of their finishing ones (still haven't decided), and some MF cutting pads.

I want to get everything at once and all this will cost some coin so it might be a little before I try all this out. Will post results when I get them.

Another thing I thought of, how did you add lighting to the car when you worked on it? I find that it's really hard to see my swirls if there isn't direct sunlight on it (which I'm obviously not going to have when I'm working on it). Was thinking of just setting up some LED lamps nearby and hope that works...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettb1234 View Post
No, I think I'm going to get the Griot's 6in DA when I get around to it. Decided on that because of reviews and lifetime warranty (especially useful since I plan to keep it forever but only use it several times a year). Going to try the Griot's fast correction creme, Meguiar's M100 (supposed to be similar to 105 but doesn't dry out as quick), M205 along with some Lake Country pads orange, white, one of their finishing ones (still haven't decided), and some MF cutting pads.

I want to get everything at once and all this will cost some coin so it might be a little before I try all this out. Will post results when I get them.

Another thing I thought of, how did you add lighting to the car when you worked on it? I find that it's really hard to see my swirls if there isn't direct sunlight on it (which I'm obviously not going to have when I'm working on it). Was thinking of just setting up some LED lamps nearby and hope that works...
Proper Lighting is a critical part of the paint correction process.

Common solutions are work lights found at your local hardware store, but there are more advanced lighting options out there as well such as the Scangrip Product Line.

Strong LED spot lighting will make it easy to identify defects in your paint....

And you can be confident that you're getting good results when you have the lighting that really shows the true condition of the paint.

You can also find more information on how to build your own inspection light in my thread on the Autopia forums - DIY LED Work Light (much better than halogen!)

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettb1234 View Post

Well my low budget/ghetto method is to do some work in shade and then I move the car to a sunny area and inspect and then move back and do it again. Sounds silly, but it does work. Since I'm doing little by little I also check the area I did later in bright sun a decide if I need to go back over the area again. Zach is probably going to scold me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

a high power LED flashlight works well in the garage. its great for checking your work after every panel. I use a 250 lumen from Home depot as well as several dedicated light source in my garage.