E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > £111 map update from dealer - will it add 7 digit postcode?

11-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

£111 map update from dealer - will it add 7 digit postcode?

Hi Chaps

I received an email from BWM inviting me to update my Nav software to get the latest maps and up-to-date traffic routing.

I might go for this if it means I'll then have 7 digit post code search which the car doesn't currently have (2009 HHD prof nav).

My local dealer can't tell me if the update will enable this feature and are taking the route of "we're going to tell you it doesn't add 7 digit post code because we can't be sure either way".

They also said that the HDD needs to be physically removed for the postcode search to be added, which I think is rubbish.

I know from this forum that a simple map update doesn't necessarily mean that the actual nav software gets updated which I think is what is needed for the full post code search.

Does anyone know about his £111 update which I'm told comes on a USB stick? The question is more about whether this USB £111 solution will add the post code search rather than whether post code search is possible, because I'm pretty sure it it.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Don't waste you money with the dealer. For £30 you can get an upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190176

7 digit postcode is coding. No need to take the hard drive out - try makkan00, he is not far from you.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:50 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks very much for the info.

Seems quite complicated, I'll have to give it a good read.

I may be willing to go to the dealer as I have a £50 voucher so it won't cost me the full £111 anyway and may be less hassle.

My car did have a firmware update a few years back after an issue I had. Is there a way I can conform whether that new version will allow post code search if I was to just get a map update?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

makkan00 is your man. Do a forum search for him
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Will do, thanks a lot

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Hi Chaps

I received an email from BWM inviting me to update my Nav software to get the latest maps and up-to-date traffic routing.....

......My local dealer can't tell me if the update will enable this feature and are taking the route of "we're going to tell you it doesn't add 7 digit post code because we can't be sure either way".

They also said that the HDD needs to be physically removed for the postcode search to be added, which I think is rubbish.
FFS - how shit are BMW!!?

"Hello Mr customer, we'd like to sell you something. We're not sure what it gives you or how to fit it but we'd like to charge you 3 times the cost of going elsewhere".

Idiots !! LOL!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #7
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

At least your Dealer can do it.
Mine says it's impossible to update them
      11-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

In-car Sat Nav are generally expensive and overated IMO- forget them I say- just use your phone and apps such as google maps , Waze or Osmand+ Most are free and you can use them pretty much anywhere - inc walking and cycling. You can use voice control and load you own predetermined GPX files in some of them too. You can also combine some with speed camera apps (eg pocketgpsworld).

Ive never felt the need to use my BMWs sat nav in the 5 years.
      11-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulla the Hulla View Post
FFS - how shit are BMW!!?

"Hello Mr customer, we'd like to sell you something. We're not sure what it gives you or how to fit it but we'd like to charge you 3 times the cost of going elsewhere".

Idiots !! LOL!!

Exactly how I feel!

I've been using google maps navigation for a while now and its brilliant but it does annoy me a bit having a nice wide screen display in the dash and then using a phone stick onto the air vent....

Anyway, I'm going to try and update the map myself. I've got the maps now and I've been told that if I stick the memory stick in the USB socket and I'm asked for a code then this means that my firmware is up to date enough for me to get 7 digit lost code.

It's just a shame that BMW couldn't tell me this, but great that there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #10
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

A big thanks to litany who has helped me successfully update my maps!

A tip to others. If you want to find out whether your car can be updated to work with 7-digit post code then download the latest map file from the net, pop it on a memory stick and put it in the glove box USB. If the I-drive pops up with an installation screen asking for a code then you're set.

You then just need to find someone to generate the code for you. It's actually quite a simple process.

No thanks to BMW customer service though, they're useless!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #11
Dann
Major
Rep

Quote:
A big thanks to litany who has helped me successfully update my maps!

A tip to others. If you want to find out whether your car can be updated to work with 7-digit post code then download the latest map file from the net, pop it on a memory stick and put it in the glove box USB. If the I-drive pops up with an installation screen asking for a code then you're set.

You then just need to find someone to generate the code for you. It's actually quite a simple process.

No thanks to BMW customer service though, they're useless!

There's a difference in firmware too. The older firmware will let you search using 7 digit postcode but won't navigate using it.
      11-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #12
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh right. My understanding though was that the older firmware had to be updated via DVD - i.e. the early HHD cars up to 2010?

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #13
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

Quote:
Exactly how I feel!

I've been using google maps navigation for a while now and its brilliant but it does annoy me a bit having a nice wide screen display in the dash and then using a phone stick onto the air vent....

Anyway, I'm going to try and update the map myself. I've got the maps now and I've been told that if I stick the memory stick in the USB socket and I'm asked for a code then this means that my firmware is up to date enough for me to get 7 digit lost code.

It's just a shame that BMW couldn't tell me this, but great that there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum!
So you think you will use the inferior nice widescreen Nav more now thats its up to date?

I have never wanted a car with built-in sat nav for this reason.
I know it wont beat what my phone can do, so id rather not this situation of a nice shinny useless sat nav screen while my phone does the work.

Nothing beats google for Traffic and re-routing on the fly.

Does always make me laugh when you read some topics where people basically claim a car without iDrive is worthless and that iDrive adds so much to the cabin...

Anyway...off topic rant @ in car satnav.
I really dont understand how ANY car maker can charge for the outdated garbage they badge up as sat nav these days... well...people are buying it I guess?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 06:49 AM   #14
Dann
Major
Rep

iDrive makes the interior looks miles nicer. Non I drive dashboards just look plain and boring IMO.

It's not just the nav though, it's the interface of being able to go through phones, ipods etc and changing settings of the car etc.
      11-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #15
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
So you think you will use the inferior nice widescreen Nav more now thats its up to date?

I have never wanted a car with built-in sat nav for this reason.
I know it wont beat what my phone can do, so id rather not this situation of a nice shinny useless sat nav screen while my phone does the work.

Nothing beats google for Traffic and re-routing on the fly.

Does always make me laugh when you read some topics where people basically claim a car without iDrive is worthless and that iDrive adds so much to the cabin...

Anyway...off topic rant @ in car satnav.
I really dont understand how ANY car maker can charge for the outdated garbage they badge up as sat nav these days... well...people are buying it I guess?
I'll probably will use Google on long journeys where there could be a lot of potential traffic issues.

To be honest, I just like my tech to be up to date, plus my wife tends to use the in built sat nav so it's worth it for her.

What we really need is for the Google in-car thing to kick off - some cars have started to come with that now I believe. But then you'll start getting the issue where the car you want supports the Apple standard and you have an Android phone - could be annoying!

But yes, I agree, the Idrive is much more than just NAV, which I like. I'd really like it to support Spotify though but I don't think that's possible - Que me using my phone for music, as well as maps!

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #16
litany
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 330dA M57NA

Quote:
I'll probably will use Google on long journeys where there could be a lot of potential traffic issues.

To be honest, I just like my tech to be up to date, plus my wife tends to use the in built sat nav so it's worth it for her.

What we really need is for the Google in-car thing to kick off - some cars have started to come with that now I believe. But then you'll start getting the issue where the car you want supports the Apple standard and you have an Android phone - could be annoying!

But yes, I agree, the Idrive is much more than just NAV, which I like. I'd really like it to support Spotify though but I don't think that's possible - Que me using my phone for music, as well as maps!
Spotify is possible via 6NR bmw apps, required combox with usb in armrest.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #17
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've got USB in this armrest. How much / what would be required to get Spotify working?

Currently I've got a Bluetooth receiver connected to the 3.5mm jack but it would be great to be able to control it from the steering wheel. I don't have an iPhone though.

Appreciate 0