BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
terrainx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

New 7 exterior - Ugly, Boring or a bit of both?

I have to say that after seeing/sitting inside a new individual last week I came away with a, love the interior and technology but not sure about the exterior of the vehicle. I think the new 7 may be a notch or two (TOO) understated for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Was at a dealership for a flat tire last week. There was a new 750 up front. It's a completely loaded individual with 125k MSRP. The interior is really nice indeed but really the car looks like a big 3 series with kind of 4 series hints... There were tons of BMWs parked all around and really the 7 looked so similar to the 3/4, especially straight on fron the front, only bigger basically. Unlike how one felt when the new S class came out, like it was SO MUCH better than the previous S to basically make the previous S obsolete. With the new 7, and a couple remaining 2015s parked next to it... really the differences were minor... I sat in an individual 2015 7 for a while 3 months ago... it was pretty nice too... So ya, doesn't feel very generational change.

Last edited by zer0cool; 11-16-2015 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Was at a dealership for a flat tire last week. There was a new 750 up front. It's a completely loaded individual with 125k MSRP. The interior is really nice indeed but really the car looks like a big 3 series with kind of 4 series hints... There were tons of BMWs parked all around and really the 7 looked so similar to the 3/4, especially straight on fron the front, only bigger basically. Unlike how one felt when the new S class came out, like it was SO MUCH better than the previous S to basically make the previous S obsolete. With the new 7, and a couple remaining 2015s parked next to it... really the differences were minor... I sat in an individual 2015 7 for a while 3 months ago... it was pretty nice too... So ya, doesn't feel very generational change.
I'm not sure what people are expecting with regard to design. And comparing it to cars (current 3 / 4 series) that carry design language that debuted after the F01 / F02 hit the market isn't really fair. Compare it to the E92 and the F01 / F02 to see a real difference.

Also, I'm sure people will say the same about the S Class now -- look at the C Class, and the upcoming E Class -- they both have that melted ice cream cone look to the front and rear ends that the S Class has.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
terrainx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
I'm not sure what people are expecting with regard to design. And comparing it to cars (current 3 / 4 series) that carry design language that debuted after the F01 / F02 hit the market isn't really fair. Compare it to the E92 and the F01 / F02 to see a real difference.

Also, I'm sure people will say the same about the S Class now -- look at the C Class, and the upcoming E Class -- they both have that melted ice cream cone look to the front and rear ends that the S Class has.
Look back to 2013 when the latest S (W222) came out. It was night/day different sitting next to old S. Buyers who want to see something new were rewarded and Mercedes sold them as fast as they could produce for the first 15 months. I personally was expecting/would like to see a bit more done to the outside of the vehicle. The fact that flagship design elements make their way to the 'fleet' vehicles is what I would expect.. but not so much fleet design making it's way to flagship.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrainx View Post
Look back to 2013 when the latest S (W222) came out. It was night/day different sitting next to old S. Buyers who want to see something new were rewarded and Mercedes sold them as fast as they could produce for the first 15 months. I personally was expecting/would like to see a bit more done to the outside of the vehicle. The fact that flagship design elements make their way to the 'fleet' vehicles is what I would expect.. but not so much fleet design making it's way to flagship.
I do agree with your perspective. The changes are (somewhat) understated. But I like the fact they chose not to radically redesign what I already thought was a very nice exterior. I drive an F02 (2012) and have parked my car beside a G12, and the differences are pretty substantial when seen side-by-side. Of course, that's because I know every line and curve of my car. To the casual observer, the differences may be more difficult to notice.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0