E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ISTA/D Scan - Identifying fault codes

10-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330d M Sport

ISTA/D Scan - Identifying fault codes

Evening all, just done a quick ISTA/D scan, and was wondering if anyone can shed any light of a few of the codes detected on the attached pic please?

The car is in AUC warranty until Jan - I will be taking it in before then to get anything rectified. The DDE glow plug faults are self explanatory, everything from IHKA down is not. Google doesn't return much on these codes either.

I have a feeling given the mileage these were triggered, I have triggered them myself inadvertently when coding 6NR, which from recollection would have been about the mileage the faults were logged (I coded VO to the whole car by mistake instead of just CIC and Media).

Not too concerned as its in warranty, just curious if anything is actually wrong or I have caused these logs. I also dont want to clear any faults as if something needs replacing, the fault will need to be seen by BMW.

Thanks

James
Attached Images

Last edited by jayooo; 10-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: resize pic
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

clear the fault and see if it returns?

If its a real issue (like the glow plugs) it'll come back. If its a old code caused by your bad coding then you wont see it agian.

They're all relating to bad canbus messages from the CAS.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Had considered clearing, however the glow plug faults have occurred more than once but are quite sporadic mileage wise.

Knowing my luck I will clear and the fault wont return until just out of warranty.....
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

With INPA you can open the individual controllers and clear the codes in there, but leave the engine ones
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

Don't worry about the other faults after the IHKA. They are just general information faults that occur, won't cause any symptoms. A dealer won't entertain this by the way, they can scope the line but the frequency of the fault is probably only one and it will probably scope correctly and would be to difficult to reproduce an issue that shows no symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
jayooo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers guys, might have a fiddle with INPA and clear everything except DDE as you suggest Aragorn, should work out ok as I have never managed to get my INPA to work with DDE 7.3 for the N57 anyway - most other modules I can read fine

Glow plug 2 and 5 have a few errors as does the glow plug module, so would like these sorted under warranty. My worry was that the DPF wont regen with certain glow plug combinations out, however ISTA states my last regen was 220km ago - so if this is accurate my worries are settled
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayooo View Post
Glow plug 2 and 5 have a few errors as does the glow plug module, so would like these sorted under warranty. My worry was that the DPF wont regen with certain glow plug combinations out, however ISTA states my last regen was 220km ago - so if this is accurate my worries are settled
I had 5 glowplug faults. Reset them and they returned pretty much immediately. Yet my DPF regenerated just fine. I replaced the glows and one of the new ones appears to be faulty, as its now popping a code as well. Still seems to regenerate just fine.
Appreciate 0