E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320d dpf removal

10-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
paddy2518
Rep
Drives: E92 320D MSport

320d dpf removal

How tricky is the dpf to take off an e92 320d? It won't regen and it's gave the the light on the obc so I want to take it out. But I'm unsure how fiddly it's going to be and how long I should give my self to do ot.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

It depends on your equipment and skill level? I wouldn't do it personally. You'd also need a custom remap.

You'd surely be better off finding out why the DPF won't regen? If it's only been blocked recently then there's still a chance of recovering it.

First diagnose the issue with fault code reading and live testing of back pressure etc etc. It may be as simple as a glow plug out of faulty glow plug controller which prevent regeneration of the DPF. It could also be coolant temperature not reaching the required temp / thermostat problem.

With diagnostic equipment it is possible to manually regen once any contributing factors are resolved. With manual regen and a good DPF additive it's often possible to recover these in my experience.

I really think you'd be better off finding the root of the problem rather than just treating be symptoms I.e. DPF delete.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Its fiddly, but if you can operate some spanners then it shouldnt be an issue.

On the 6 cylinders you need to remove the engine mounting bracket and support the engine, not sure if the 4pots are the same.

Its certainly worth making sure your thermostats and glowplugs are working, even if your still wanting to delete the DPF, as they fail silently and you dont know about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Depending on what keeps the filter from regen a DPF delete will cost you 5-10 times more than a repair, no matter if you're doing it yourself or the garage.
      10-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
paddy2518
Rep

It's been like this for a while. Tried to force a regen my self with no luck so took it to my bmw dealer who couldn't force the regen either. Thermostats and glow plugs are all working fine. I asked the dealer why it wouldn't regen and they just said it's at the end of its life 160k miles isn't too bad from one I suppose.

I've got the map sorted out I just need to smash the dpf out then take it to them and they'll put the map on for me, equipment wise I've got pretty much anything I could need the only thing I'm missing is a lift but I've got one I can use for a night if I need it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Wayne-G
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MG F30 330d Msport xDrive

Costly job if you want to delete it. Was going to get mine done along with the swirl flaps, £500 ish with mapping.

It could be blocked, try getting your car up to normal running temp and take it on a motorway and keep it in 4th gear at quite high rpm for a couple of minutes, that will get the dpf really hot and clear the soot out.

Where abouts are you located? I've got Carly BMW whatapp and can do forced regens (Probably wont work if BMW themselves couldn't do it) Still worth a try if someone near you has one?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
paddy2518
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-G View Post
Costly job if you want to delete it. Was going to get mine done along with the swirl flaps, £500 ish with mapping.

It could be blocked, try getting your car up to normal running temp and take it on a motorway and keep it in 4th gear at quite high rpm for a couple of minutes, that will get the dpf really hot and clear the soot out.

Where abouts are you located? I've got Carly BMW whatapp and can do forced regens (Probably wont work if BMW themselves couldn't do it) Still worth a try if someone near you has one?
I've got a good deal on the map because there's a couple of us getting them done so that's not to bad and I'll take the dpf out my self so that's cost saved.

I've tried the motorway at high revs that didn't work, used a snap on solus pro to try and force the regen similar to carly that didn't work so I was just wanting it out and done now plus the new map is a performance map as well so I'll get the extra power.

I'm in West Cumbria I'm not sure if there's any one close there never seems to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

You could give it a try with something like that:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/K2-DPF-FAP-Di...QAAOSwI-BWI1IJ

and see if it helps. If the car runs fine again then the DPF is yet not at the end of his life.
On the other hand 160k miles is a lot. Maybe it's de facto full of ashes and dead.
      10-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
paddy2518
Rep

I'll maybe give something like that a go, won't do any harm and it'll save me getting my hands dirty.

As soon as bmw quoted me the price for a new one I knew it wasn't getting replaced, he tried to soften the blow by saying that a new one should last another 160k.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Wayne-G
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MG F30 330d Msport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy2518 View Post
I've got a good deal on the map because there's a couple of us getting them done so that's not to bad and I'll take the dpf out my self so that's cost saved.

I've tried the motorway at high revs that didn't work, used a snap on solus pro to try and force the regen similar to carly that didn't work so I was just wanting it out and done now plus the new map is a performance map as well so I'll get the extra power.

I'm in West Cumbria I'm not sure if there's any one close there never seems to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy2518 View Post
I'll maybe give something like that a go, won't do any harm and it'll save me getting my hands dirty.

As soon as bmw quoted me the price for a new one I knew it wasn't getting replaced, he tried to soften the blow by saying that a new one should last another 160k.
Ahh fair enough! Lol my exhaust cracked right at the flexi after the dpf and they said a new one will be £1800+vat or something ridiculous like that, I just said 'No thanks' and got it welded up for £100ish, no point replacing mine cause its in good working order atm.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 05:51 AM   #11
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
My DPF reached end of life at 145,000 miles, I bought a genuine new one for £700 shipped from Germany. Wasn't paying BMW prices!
      10-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
jimbo666
Private First Class
Rep

It'd be worth using INPA and constantly clearing the fault codes on a run to get the DPF to regen. It's a tried and tested method. If you clear the codes once, the DPF fault code will pop up immediately stopping the regen cycle.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo666
It'd be worth using INPA and constantly clearing the fault codes on a run to get the DPF to regen. It's a tried and tested method. If you clear the codes once, the DPF fault code will pop up immediately stopping the regen cycle.
+1

I was sceptical re this method until I tried it for myself. With the correct conditions and an additive it does actually work quite well!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oddly enough, i was reading a VAG document the other day about DPF soot loading and regenerations, and it made me think of this thread.

I dont remember the exact figures but they're not that important anyway

The VAG car in question brings the DPF light on at say 30g of soot, this is a preliminary warning basically saying "i'm needing a regeneration, and have been unable to do so".
That warning might just be because the cars only driven around town etc and has never warmed up properly etc, or it might be due to a fault.

If the car reaches 40g of soot the car will go into reduced power mode and bring on the engine light. This is a sort of Last Chance Saloon, to hopefully force the driver to get it rectified ASAP.

If the car reaches 50g of soot, the car will then refuse to Regenerate the DPF even if any faults are fixed and the car is driven correctly, and the DPF must be replaced. The reason they give is quite interesting. It says that at >50g of soot, if regeneration were to begin, and the car manages to light off the soot, theres so much soot present that the filter would go into thermal runaway, and potentially cause a fire.

It sounds like the BMW ECU is doing something similar, and the "continually resetting codes with INPA" as described above is a bit of a cheat to fool the ECU into starting the regeneration anyway. Worth noting if that IS the case, that it could be quite dangerous! Something to bear in mind...
Appreciate 0