BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > #1 on M2 Dealer List but on the fence as to whether I'll take it.

10-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

#1 on M2 Dealer List but on the fence as to whether I'll take it.

Like many of you, I missed out on the 1M. And like many of you, I have been long awaiting and excited for the M2. But now that it's here, I'm just not sure. There are certainly many things about the M2 I like. In fact, my pros list is longer than my cons list. But there are several things I wish were not the case with the M2, and so while I'm #1 on the list at my local dealer, I'm feeling some ambivalence and starting to think I may not take the car. The main things that bother me are:

-- I wish it were not wider than the 1M (this is very noticeable when comparing shots from the rear)
-- The color choices (horrible; and no option for individual paint, which I would most happily pay and wait for)
-- The mirrors (not good)
-- I was hoping for lower curb weight (perhaps this was an unreasonable hope)
-- No CF roof (yes, I know the 1M didn't have one)
-- I don't like the wheels (I had the beautiful ZCP wheels on my E92 M3 and I just don't like the wheels on the new M2/M3/M4 - I'm sure many will disagree but this is my personal taste)

Again, my pros list is a good bit longer and this will clearly be a fun car and a lot of car for the money. Part of me thinks I'd be nuts if I didn't pull the trigger, but the cons I listed above have me thinking about passing. And I have a GT4 on the way, which complicates things as I won't really need the M2 as an extra fun car. However, I think ED in the M2 would be an absolute blast. So, I'm on the fence. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Not wider than the 1M? Are you kidding? The M2 has to be wider than the 1M due to the bigger size of the overall car and using the M4 rear end. The width of the M2 is one of the best parts of the car. M cars have a wider track that is one of the important elements of an M car. If you are complaining about the width than I suggest you get an m235i.

Color choices are no surprises. We knew the color choices months months ahead of the reveal. This is not a surprise.

Wheels are a simple fix. Buy new ones and replace. All it takes it few bolts and a jack and wheel is removed. Easy!

Everyone knew the M2 would not have a cf roof. This is no surprise either.

The mirrors were a surprise but I'd gladly give up the mirrors for a more upgraded engine.

Man you have a GT4 on the way! Stop complaining and just take the M2 for what it is. You are fortunate to have both.

Can't you do an European Delivery on a GT4? Porsche has this program as well. I suggest you look into it.

Last edited by chmura; 10-22-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

This car was designed for people who want a daily driver they can also track. It was designed to be at what BMW considers to be an entry point M price. If you already have track duties covered and don't want it for a daily driver because you don't like a few superficial accouterments, why are we having this conversation?

Go to Europe. Rent a Ferrari for a few weeks. Life is good.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

For me it was a case of what else is out there. M4, too expensive (£44k for m2, £55k+ m4, new of course). Would have loved a GT4 but they're upwards of £65k and difficult to get. New RS3 would have interested me but don't like 5 door hatches. Don't want a merc. Golf r400 will be interesting but still not out. M2 is the perfect replacement for 135i. Role on April!
      10-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Since you're asking for my thoughts I'll go ahead and give them to you. The majority of your reasons for not getting the M2 are petty and capricious.

Too wide? The side-view mirrors?......are you kidding?!!

If these are reasons enough for you to pass on what will probably be one of the most desirable BMWs to come down the pike in a long while then I say give up your spot and let a true enthusiast buy it, drive it and appreciate it.
Appreciate 1