E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Is my clutch on its way out?

10-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
Abphoria
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i Coupé (E92)

Is my clutch on its way out?

Hi all,

I am just wondering what you all think to my current situation - I am also driving an E92 320i for vehicle reference.

I have started to notice a loud rotational related sound when ever I hit 2,000-3,000 rpm (like a rattle almost) - up to 2,000 rpm the engine sounds fine and healthy, and after 3,000 rpm it also seems to dissipate (this could be due to engine noise over powering the rattle though).

I have also come to notice that at lower revs when I put my foot down I get some slip in the clutch - only really seems to do it in 3rd gear, and very very occasionally 2nd.

Is this a sign of my clutch about to go, and the rattle potentially bearings relate to the clutch?

I will try to attach a video later, it is just a ball ache to catch the sound I mean on video.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Kyle.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport LCI

Clutches tend not to make a noise when they fail, it's more likely to be the release bearing or the dual mass flywheel
      10-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
lifeofjono
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 2012

most likely DMF, currently having mine replaced, have a thread on main page about it and one in the tech forum.

tech one -
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175345

latest update one -

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181547

is it like short ruddery sound?
mine was most noticable if i was driving and just pushed the clutch in without the brake pedal, my suspicions was dual mass flywheel failure and is the sound of it trying to stabilise itself. another test is put it in neutral and push clutch down and slowly bring clutch up the will be a circluar rotational sort of noise and should get noticeably louder as you bring the clutch up.

If it is this will need a flywheel replacement and ideally clutch at same time, would be false economy to not change both at same time.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Abphoria
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i Coupé (E92)

Thanks guys, I will give each part a further looking into.

I originally assumed it was a release bearing, but I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

The noise does only appear when using the accelerator however (no noise from moving the clutch down or up), but in turn it appears that the clutch is slipping (from the juddering of the car in 3rd gear).

Thanks again though guys, I could at least be on the right track - any other ideas with regards to the noise (being it from the use of acceleration)?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 03:09 AM   #5
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

TBH, each part mentioned would be replaced all together. Your not going to take the gearbox off and just replace one, you'd take it off and do the lot, so it doesnt really matter which part it is thats actually causing it.

Slipping clutch doesnt usually result in juddering... Usually the revs will just rise with no increase in speed, or rise disproportionately with speed. When the clutch started to fail on the wifes car, it was most noticable on a hard gearchange. You'd change gear and floor it, and the revs would rise to a point and just sit there, a bit like an automatic with its torque converter, then if you kept it floored it would eventually catch up with the road speed and lock up again. Eventually if you floored it in 5th on the motorway the revs would shoot up.

If your not sure, get a mechanic out in the car with you for a listen and see if they agree.
Appreciate 0