BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Test Drive Experience

Drove a 740i with M package with transmission set in Sport and suspension in sports mode.

Ride felt floaty and without much road feel; reminded me of a Lexus LS430 circa 2007.

Not feeling much love for the Exterior or the interior; interior feels like many disparate elements and motifs thrown around, lacking the sense of coming together.

The Navigation screen is smaller, dashboard cowl is higher and the instrument panel is not as clear and functional as my 2011 740Li. I am glad to have the 7 year warranty extension on my current car.

Again, just my 2 cents. I really wanted to like the car (and I am generally an "early adopter" for all things Tech).

My experience of the new X1 was much more positive but that is another thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
nextceo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Maybe you should have test driven the 750...this reviewer really likes the new 7 series. He also does a small comparison at the end of the video of the new 750 vs the new Mercedes S class.

Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #3
jsp1777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750i Xdrive

Hard to believe one could have a more positive experience in an $40,000 X1 versus BMW's flagship 7 series. On almost any level, that doesn't make much sense to me....but to each his own....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Your comments regarding the exterior and interior are on point.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp1777 View Post
Hard to believe one could have a more positive experience in an $40,000 X1 versus BMW's flagship 7 series. On almost any level, that doesn't make much sense to me....but to each his own....
Sorry, I wasn't comparing 7 series to X1.

What I meant was that X1 is impressive compared to competitors in it's class such as Audi Q3.

However, 7 series did not impress me as much compared to offerings from MB and Audi, especially since it is brand new and others are at least 3-4 years old versions.
New 7 series has better wood and seats than the prior 7 version but interior appeared less well integrated to me.
Some elements are ultra-modern but others are more antique and therefore, don't work well together.
Dashboard cowl seems to be higher, leading to the "sunk" feeling that I hated about the current S Class.
I would rather wait for the new 5 series (which may turn out to be just a shortened version of 7) or next Audi 8; or even new LS or Equus.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't comparing 7 series to X1.

What I meant was that X1 is impressive compared to competitors in it's class such as Audi Q3.

However, 7 series did not impress me as much compared to offerings from MB and Audi, especially since it is brand new and others are at least 3-4 years old versions.
New 7 series has better wood and seats than the prior 7 version but interior appeared less well integrated to me.
Some elements are ultra-modern but others are more antique and therefore, don't work well together.
Dashboard cowl seems to be higher, leading to the "sunk" feeling that I hated about the current S Class.
I would rather wait for the new 5 series (which may turn out to be just a shortened version of 7) or next Audi 8; or even new LS or Equus.
Also, if I have to choose between an S and the new 7, I would definitely take the new 7.
My point is that it didn't meet the expectations that one may have from a brand new offering and some of the key BMW strengths appear to have been weakened, in the car I tested.
I do intend to try another car in near future as this one may have just been a poor example, an early production car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
tven99
GOVNER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M5, 05 P71, 15 SP CHLGR

I agree with the ride being floaty, you feel very isolated from the road. I would also agree the exterior design of the car is horrible. but.. I did like the way it drove. I drove the 750i I really want one after test driving it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tven99 View Post
I agree with the ride being floaty, you feel very isolated from the road.
Wow; not sure a good thing...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
jsp1777
Enlisted Member
Rep

Curious if the 740 and the 750 you both drove that felt "floaty" had the Autobahn Pkg? Wondering if that makes a difference (vs. having just the M-Sport which is just aesthetics and not active suspension).

I pick mine up this Friday (with Autobahn Pkg)....will let you know my impression. Hopefully in sport mode, its not 'floaty'.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp1777 View Post
Curious if the 740 and the 750 you both drove that felt "floaty" had the Autobahn Pkg? Wondering if that makes a difference (vs. having just the M-Sport which is just aesthetics and not active suspension).

I pick mine up this Friday (with Autobahn Pkg)....will let you know my impression. Hopefully in sport mode, its not 'floaty'.
NEEEEEEEEDDDDD UPDDDAAAATTTTEEEESSSS AHHHHHHHHHHH

I've literally been checking all day to see if you posted up your impressions and photos
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
jsp1777
Enlisted Member
Rep

The following comments are my initial driving impressions having just picked up my “new 750i” two days ago. It has the Autobahn pkg, 20-inch wheels (with the run-flats swapped out for conventional Continental DWS06 tires).

Previously I drove an ’13 Audi S8 (and before that, a ’07 Mercedes S600 with active body control, which I loved). The suspension tuning for the new 7 is dialed in just about perfectly. I have not found the ride to be ‘floaty’ at all. In all the suspension modes, the ride is comfortable and controlled…and the car feels nimble (for a luxury barge…not compared to an M3).

The seats feel a bit lower when getting into/out of the vehicle (lower center of gravity perhaps)…this is undoubtedly contributing to its great handling. Seats are not quite as “plush” as the S-class, but still very good. For a big luxury car, this thing is nimble! It feels surprisingly light on its feet when throwing it around. Yes, very light steering (a growing trend on all these big lux cars) but very precise. Overall, the handling feels so much better than the last gen 7….and feels much better than my Audi S8 (which felt ‘heavy’ and like an awd car in the turns….the new 7 feels perfectly balanced and much like a rwd vehicle ). I hated the feel of the awd S-class (which doesn’t come w/MBC and lacked that ‘balanced/sporty’ rwd feel). Having just driven a rwd S class with 20’ wheels and magic body control….I would say the ride is very close but the handling is unquestionably much better on the 7.

In Comfort mode, the ride is supple without being ‘floaty’ (and comfort + I wouldn’t call it ‘floaty’ but has another layer of isolation layered on). Sport mode locks things down and feels more like the classic BMW mode. Reminds me of that magic ride/handling balance of my 2001 540 and somewhat of the balance my big Mercedes with ABC had (comfortable ride but no body roll….but the BMW is MUCH more nimble/lighter that that car). The Merc had 18’ wheels w/45 series tires so it rode a bit better…..but on apple to apples….new bimmer just as comfortable with a LOT better handling.

So far, I am very happy with the car and love the Tartufo colored leather!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
jsp1777
Enlisted Member
Rep

And, the car looks much better in person than on the bmws website or in pictures...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
nextceo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Good to hear. I'm also getting the AutoBahn Package...is it worth the 4K?

Alan
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #14
jsp1777
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Alan,
I've never driven the non-Autobahn car....so I can't compare to mine. But I can say unequivocally that the drive is excellent with the Autobahn Pkg and that I do not regret spending the extra money for this option. I think you're going to like it.

When is yours coming in? Mid-November? My dealer had a black 'individual' on display last Sunday and it looked gorgeous...

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
nextceo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I should have mine the week of Nov 9th.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #16
tven99
GOVNER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M5, 05 P71, 15 SP CHLGR

It did not have the autobahn package. Maybe floaty is a bad way to describe how the car felt. It was floaty like but had excellent handling. I tried taking fast curves and the car took it like my m5 but was a lot more planted and smoother since its all wheel drive. It is floaty around bumpy roads but in no way does it have body roll. The S class is more floaty and felt like a hyundai when i drove it.
Appreciate 0