Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Front: 18x9.5 255, Rear: 18x10 285

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #1
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Front: 18x9.5 255, Rear: 18x10 285

Will this fit E92 on stock M-sport suspension without issues?

I'm looking to run a wide and thick track setup for my E92 LCI with PSS tires:

Front: 18x9.5 ET35 (+10mm spacer) with 255/40/R18 PSS
Rear: 18x10 ET25 with 285/40/R18 PSS

I have no idea if the rear would rub, but the front seems fairly conservative and should be fine on stock suspension height. No plans to lower it.

Would appreciate any thoughts if anyone has experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Happy to help here.

Tires:

When you say track setup, how many events will you be doing each year?

You mentioned Michelin PSS tires. There is no doubt these are fantastic street tires, and we recommend them to many of our customers. If you are going to be tracking the car, I strongly encourage you to purchase extreme summer tires which will hold up under track conditions. The MPSS will begin to wear excessively, and degradation will be an issue once things heat up under continuous lapping. Some of our favorite extreme summer tires are Hankook RS-3's, Dunlop Dirreza Star Spec ZII, Yokohama AD08-R, BFG Rivals, Bridgestone RE71-R's. The RS-3's and Star Spec ZII's are probably the most popular amongst BMW owners, and can be used for day-to-day street driving. Extreme summer tires are not dedicated track tires like R-compounds, they are trackable street tires. If you are really not sure when you are going to be able to get out to the track, and you just want to set the car up for spirited driving, then MPSS are a fantastic choice. If you end up doing an event or two on them, don't worry, the car wont spontaneously combust . You can always upgrade once the tires wear out, as long as your wheel configuration supports your future tire plans.

Square vs. Staggered:

Again, this comes down to how many event you plan on doing per year, but there are numerous benefits to running a square fitment, especially if you are going to be using the car on the track. First, a square fitment will allow you to rotate wheel/tires effectively which has a huge impact on tire budget. This sport is not cheap, so saving where you can is important. Furthermore a square setup neutralizes the car's understeer and improves your front end grip/turn-in. If you are going to be tracking the car for years to come, I would highly suggest going square from the get go.

With that said, a staggered fitment using APEX wheels will still provide a vast improvement over the stock configuration. Less rotational mass with wider wheels and tire's are present regardless of which configuration you decide on. This means customers getting familiar with the car under track conditions can absolutely feel confident about tracking on a staggered configuration. We are in the business of splitting hairs for our customer base, as this can be a very technical sport. It is our job to present the pro's and con's of each setup, steering customers in the right direction so that they can enjoy their car at it's fullest potential (all while not breaking the bank). The point is track oriented customers typically see more value in a square fitment, but there is no wrong answer.

Suspension / Camber Plates:

You mentioned that you are on the stock M-sport suspension, which is fine. However with the specifications that you are listing (or anything close to it), you will need to dial in some negative camber up front. Purchasing camber plates for a car that is going to be tracked is a great idea. Not only with negative camber help you achieve the aggressive fitment that you are looking for, it will also give you improved turn-in and help with even tire wear. Without negative camber, your front wheel and tire choices will be limited, and the outsides of your tires will wear quickly. I like to tell my customers that camber plates pay for themselves.

Notes:

* Please note that the tire sizes you mentioned are too tall, and even with negative camber up front and rolled rear fenders, you will experience severe rubbing/contact (especially underload at the track). The correct sizes would be 255/35/18 and 285/35/18. With that said, 285/35/18 are quite difficult to fit in the rear, especially if you decide to run an extreme summer tire. 275/35/18's will be a bit easier to fit, and will provide plenty of rear end grip.

* Why run the 10mm spacers up front? The 18x9.5 et35 is already pretty aggressive for the front of an e9X 3 series. The 10mm spacer will only push the wheel further into the fender, causing you to run even more aggressive negative camber spec's.

The 18x10 et25 is really an e46 M3 application, and is a bit too aggressive for the rear of an e9X 3 series. Sure it is possible to fit them back there, but it would require fender rolling and stretch tires. It is not really a good candidate for a performance oriented / track setup with meaty tires. We do offer a 10" wheel for the rear of an e9X 3 series, but it is only made in the EC-7 design. The specs are 18x10 et33. As you can see, the offset is a bit higher, moving the wheel further under the car for better fender clearance. You can mount 265/35/18 tires without any modifications, and 275/35/18's with a good fender roll and some negative camber.

Square Fitments Suggestions

EC-7
18x9 et31 - 255/35/18

ARC-8
18x9.5 et35 - 255/35/18
* requires camber plates to clear front fenders

Staggered Fitment Suggestions:

ARC-8
Front: 18x9 et42 - 255/35/18
Rear: 18x9.5 et35 - 275/35/18
* 5mm spacers up front required to clear suspension
* Rear fender roll required (265/35/18 would be a direct fit)

EC-7
Front: 18x9 et31 - 255/35/18
Rear: 18x10et33 - 275/35/18

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 10-15-2015 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
NW 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT

Why doesn't the Arc 8 come in a 18x9.0 et30 w a concave profile 3?

You offer a 17x9.0 et30 in profile 3, and offer the PS7 in a 18x9.0et31 in the profile 3.

You guys are missing an EXTREMELY desirable front fitment for the e9x non M cars.

Running a front profile 1 with a profile 3 rear in the Arc 8 looks silly.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Minus View Post
Why doesn't the Arc 8 come in a 18x9.0 et30 w a concave profile 3?

You offer a 17x9.0 et30 in profile 3, and offer the PS7 in a 18x9.0et31 in the profile 3.

You guys are missing an EXTREMELY desirable front fitment for the e9x non M cars.

Running a front profile 1 with a profile 3 rear in the Arc 8 looks silly.
This is a great question, that many other customers have asked in recent months.

The ARC-8 was our first wheel design here at APEX. We initially produced a host of sizes which we felt best catered to demand at the time.

After the success of both the EC-7 and PS-7 18x9 et31 profile 2 wheels (also a concave face which is in between profiles 1 and 3 of course), we realize that this is a highly desirable fitment for e9X 3 series owners. Not only can it be used up front in a staggered fitment, but it also can be used as a track worthy square fitment. This wheel provides the customer with a bolt on fitment with no spacers needed, all while fitting under the fender with a 245 or 255 street tire without any negative camber. Furthermore, customers finally got a concave front fitment that did not require modifications.

We recently agreed to take another look at the ARC-8, and you will be happy to know that this is something that is currently in production. We do not have an official release date, but please stay tuned in early 2016! We keep our customers at the forefront of everything we do, and we are excited to bring another solid fitment to the community.

- Ryan
      10-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
expressfish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335I Monaco Blau

dang, so maybe I need to wait till next years group buy so I can get a profile 3 in the front to match ?!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
2010MSPORT335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
You would definitely rub. I rubbed with a 18x10 et25 PSS 265/35/18 on coilovers and about -2* camber.
      11-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
This is a great question, that many other customers have asked in recent months.

The ARC-8 was our first wheel design here at APEX. We initially produced a host of sizes which we felt best catered to demand at the time.

After the success of both the EC-7 and PS-7 18x9 et31 profile 2 wheels (also a concave face which is in between profiles 1 and 3 of course), we realize that this is a highly desirable fitment for e9X 3 series owners. Not only can it be used up front in a staggered fitment, but it also can be used as a track worthy square fitment. This wheel provides the customer with a bolt on fitment with no spacers needed, all while fitting under the fender with a 245 or 255 street tire without any negative camber. Furthermore, customers finally got a concave front fitment that did not require modifications.

We recently agreed to take another look at the ARC-8, and you will be happy to know that this is something that is currently in production. We do not have an official release date, but please stay tuned in early 2016! We keep our customers at the forefront of everything we do, and we are excited to bring another solid fitment to the community.

- Ryan
Ryan, slow reply from me, but I really appreciate the response.

I'm 100% down for a concave profile 3 front and rear matching wheel.

My only concerns right now are the colours. I'm a big fan of gloss black wheels, and was wondering, would it be possible to have the Bimmerworld Gloss Black colour option for the upcoming ARC-8 sale?

I feel Gloss Black suits a track wheel better than Satin Black, as it hides the dirt easier, and makes clean up easier. I really hope APEX will consider it, or perhaps offer it as a limited run through Bimmerworld or something.

Hope you can share some of your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karura View Post
Will this fit E92 on stock M-sport suspension without issues?

I'm looking to run a wide and thick track setup for my E92 LCI with PSS tires:

Front: 18x9.5 ET35 (+10mm spacer) with 255/40/R18 PSS
Rear: 18x10 ET25 with 285/40/R18 PSS

I have no idea if the rear would rub, but the front seems fairly conservative and should be fine on stock suspension height. No plans to lower it.

Would appreciate any thoughts if anyone has experience.
The front will definetly rub or break you fenders at stock height especially without camber plates. I got Forgestar f14's and I needed 9.5 et22 to get super deep concave front wheel. With 245/35/19 I still needed to flatten my fenders(e90 has metal fenders) and camber set at -1.8. For you I think 9" et30 would be perfect.

The rear would need fenderwork but lookup robc1976 he has a few threads on modifying your fenders for wide tires/aggressive offsets.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Ryan, slow reply from me, but I really appreciate the response.

I'm 100% down for a concave profile 3 front and rear matching wheel.

My only concerns right now are the colours. I'm a big fan of gloss black wheels, and was wondering, would it be possible to have the Bimmerworld Gloss Black colour option for the upcoming ARC-8 sale?

I feel Gloss Black suits a track wheel better than Satin Black, as it hides the dirt easier, and makes clean up easier. I really hope APEX will consider it, or perhaps offer it as a limited run through Bimmerworld or something.

Hope you can share some of your thoughts.
With my experience, Satin Black and Gloss black both hide brake dust extremely well. From an aesthetic standpoint, I am a big fan of the gloss black as well, but this is exclusively offered through our friends at BimmerWorld. You can contact the helpful staff at BW, and I am sure that they will be happy to assist you with your purchase.

To be clear, we cannot directly offer the exclusive gloss black finish in our Group Buy promotions, as they are produced in separate/smaller batches specifically for BW.

- Ryan
      11-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #10
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With my experience, Satin Black and Gloss black both hide brake dust extremely well. From an aesthetic standpoint, I am a big fan of the gloss black as well, but this is exclusively offered through our friends at BimmerWorld. You can contact the helpful staff at BW, and I am sure that they will be happy to assist you with your purchase.

To be clear, we cannot directly offer the exclusive gloss black finish in our Group Buy promotions, as they are produced in separate/smaller batches specifically for BW.

- Ryan
Thanks Ryan,

Got more questions regarding EC-7 fitments, the ones you mentioned were:
EC-7

I also see Turner's photo with a different offset on the rear wheel:

Could you share your thoughts on 18x9.5 ET22 vs 18x10 ET33, and what sort of differences would the two have in regards to performance?

I really like the deeper concave on the 18x9.5 ET22, but I'm all about form following function, so if there is something that makes the 18x10 ET33 a better fitment functionally, I would not be happy to sacrifice that functionality for looks.

I'm very much about OEM+ as I am about keeping things subtle, so I would be happy to do a slight fender roll in the rear, as long as it does not compromise the car's paint or anything, to fit a more flush fitment.

Thanks again, and hope to hear your thoughts on the two.

Also, will there be a EC-7 GB coming up early 2016? And would Black Friday or GB pricing be lower? I would like to acquire a set during the best pricing period, hope it is understandable.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Ryan,

Got more questions regarding EC-7 fitments, the ones you mentioned were:
EC-7

I also see Turner's photo with a different offset on the rear wheel:

Could you share your thoughts on 18x9.5 ET22 vs 18x10 ET33, and what sort of differences would the two have in regards to performance?

I really like the deeper concave on the 18x9.5 ET22, but I'm all about form following function, so if there is something that makes the 18x10 ET33 a better fitment functionally, I would not be happy to sacrifice that functionality for looks.

I'm very much about OEM+ as I am about keeping things subtle, so I would be happy to do a slight fender roll in the rear, as long as it does not compromise the car's paint or anything, to fit a more flush fitment.

Thanks again, and hope to hear your thoughts on the two.

Also, will there be a EC-7 GB coming up early 2016? And would Black Friday or GB pricing be lower? I would like to acquire a set during the best pricing period, hope it is understandable.

I love that photo! Race Silver EC-7's on a blue car with BMW roundel center caps look so clean. Very "OEM +"

I did not mention this setup for a couple of reasons. The 18x10 et33 is of course 1/2" wider then the 9.5 et22, and one could argue that you get more sidewall support with the 10" wheel. More importantly is the differences in offsets. The 18x9.5 et22 is going to be a slightly more difficult fitment for these two reasons:

1. The 9.5" wheels will sit 5mm further towards the rear fenders in comparison to the 10" wheel, making it more difficult to run a wide tire.

2. The 10" wheel being a 1/2" wider will help create more room between the sidewall and the fender edge by slightly stretching the tire. The same tire sizes on a 9.5" wheel will be a bit more squared off, consequently requiring more fender messaging and negative camber to fit.

To be clear, both of these fitments are a possibility, and the best choice is dependent on your personal priorities. Someone going for a very aggressive, flush look may prefer the 9.5 et22 application as it is 5mm more aggressive and has a profile 3 concavity. The caveat is that this application will be more difficult to fit wide tires if that is also a priority.

Enthusiast looking for the widest wheel and tire combo may prefer the 10" wheel, which offers more sidewall support and fender clearance for wider tires. The caveat is that this application has a profile 2 concavity, and is slightly heavier & more expensive then the 9.5" wheel. (weight and price point differences are VERY minor)

As you can see, there are always trade off's when choosing parts for your car.

We will be releasing our Black Friday details very soon, but I must say that our Group Buy promotions will always be the most cost effective way to purchase our wheels.

Quick Reference:

EC-7 18x9.5 et22
- Profile 3 concavity
- 21.75 lbs. each
- $319 each MSRP

EC-7 18x10 et33
- Profile 2 concavity
- 22.5 lbs. each
- $329 each MSRP

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 11-24-2015 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #12
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep

Ryan, I really appreciate the detailed responses. You've got me sold on these. Any word on when the next EC-7 GB will happen for 18" E92 non-M fitments?

I need to see more photos of the F: 18x9 ET31, R: 18x10 ET33 setup, either on E90 or E92, preferably E92, and in AW.

I see this one but I'm not quite sold on it in this photo, but on paper, it is a much more functional setup than using the 18x9.5, and I think I would prefer that.

Also, the original BBS GT4 RE wheels are similar to Profile 2 as well, so I would like it.

Let me know if you have more photos if the ideal setup, it will really help me with the decision making.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #13
ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Ryan, I really appreciate the detailed responses. You've got me sold on these. Any word on when the next EC-7 GB will happen for 18" E92 non-M fitments?

I need to see more photos of the F: 18x9 ET31, R: 18x10 ET33 setup, either on E90 or E92, preferably E92, and in AW.

I see this one but I'm not quite sold on it in this photo, but on paper, it is a much more functional setup than using the 18x9.5, and I think I would prefer that.

Also, the original BBS GT4 RE wheels are similar to Profile 2 as well, so I would like it.

Let me know if you have more photos if the ideal setup, it will really help me with the decision making.

Cheers
No problem! Unfortunately there aren't very many photo's of the 18x10 et33 application on a e9X 3 series, but it really looks quite similar to the most popular 18x9.5 et35 application. They are both profile 2, so the face is identical. The main difference will be the fact that the 10" wheel sits approx 8mm closer to the rear fenders, and how tire fits on the wheel of course. Viewing the car from the rear, the 10" wheel will likely show off the additional 1/2" in width as well.

We just ran through most of our sku's in the past couple months, and do not have any immediate plans for another Group Buy. Stay tuned in 2016!

- Ryan
      01-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem! Unfortunately there aren't very many photo's of the 18x10 et33 application on a e9X 3 series, but it really looks quite similar to the most popular 18x9.5 et35 application. They are both profile 2, so the face is identical. The main difference will be the fact that the 10" wheel sits approx 8mm closer to the rear fenders, and how tire fits on the wheel of course. Viewing the car from the rear, the 10" wheel will likely show off the additional 1/2" in width as well.

We just ran through most of our sku's in the past couple months, and do not have any immediate plans for another Group Buy. Stay tuned in 2016!

- Ryan
Hey Ryan,

What are my most aggressive but performance oriented 19" setup for these EC-7?

I saw the new GB page and was wondering since you gave me really good advice last time.

Cheers
Appreciate 0