E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Keeping front end nice.

10-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
jeff408
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i E93

Keeping front end nice.

Just got a 2013 335 about a month ago and am trying to keep on top of keeping the front end nice. Every time I drive the car its plastered with bugs. From what I understand if the bug guts are left on and bake on in the sun they are going to be next to impossible to get off. My routine so far has been to pressure wash off bugs first, then gently washing with car shampoo and hot water, then taking leaf blower to get biggest part of water off, then microfiber water magnet cloth to finish drying, and then sometimes sealant. What do you guys do, am I making any problems for myself down the line?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

You're best bet is to have the front end wrapped with Xpel ultimate or similar film. It'll keep the paint nice and fresh underneath and protect it from rock chips, bugs etching into your paint, etc. You will need to have the car detailed prior to install but it'll be worth it. Also be sure to have someone reputable do the job, lots of people out there who say they can put films on cars and end up doing a crappy job.

If you don't want to go that route, the next best option is to have the car coated. This layer will help keep the bugs from adhearing to the paint and will make them easier to get off. However, this also requires a professional detailer to do unless you have some detailing experience and feel you can do it yourself. Do some research first though on application process and prep work.

The other option is to keep doing what you're doing but get some better products. Something like a bug and tar remover will help a lot and a bug scrubber will help get some scrubbing action without damaging your paint. I have this one and like it a lot.
http://www.autogeek.net/bug-sponge-for-cars.html

http://www.autogeek.net/tarbug.html

If you leave the bugs on they'll slowly etch your paint over time and will not look good. A sealant or something will help keep that at bay and will provide some overall protection for the car.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Best thing I've ever done is had an Xpel clear bra on the front bumper. Makes it so much easier to deal with. Previously, keeping the front end sealed makes the paint more resilient when I have to address the bug situation.

To add to what Hokie_BMW said, I keep a small spray bottle (I grabbed the travel TSA safe bottles at CVS for $2-3) of Optimum No-Rinse diluted as a quick detailer and a microfiber in my drivers door. If I get any droppings in the morning, quick spray and wipe until I can fully wash and retreat the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
Ncmech
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Wet an old dryer sheet [Bounce, etc]. Bugs wipe right off.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Getting the bumper wrapped is the best option but it will cost some money. When I upgrade my front bumper and get it painted it's getting wrapped ASAP.
Not sure what color your car is but mine is jet black
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
jeff408
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i E93

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. After looking at the options i'm thinking i'll pass on the wraps and just try to keep on top of things with the bug sponge and bug spray and sealant for now. As far as the wrap goes I'd like to have it but don't have good access to the right people (detailers and installers). I'm the type that likes to do my own stuff and don't trust leavening my car with other people (I live out in the sticks and would have to travel, make appointments, and leave car)
      10-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff408 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. After looking at the options i'm thinking i'll pass on the wraps and just try to keep on top of things with the bug sponge and bug spray and sealant for now. As far as the wrap goes I'd like to have it but don't have good access to the right people (detailers and installers). I'm the type that likes to do my own stuff and don't trust leavening my car with other people (I live out in the sticks and would have to travel, make appointments, and leave car)
I would suggest you to invest in DIY, buy pre-cut clear protection film "self healing" and watch some how to videos on youtube and try it yourself. cover half hood, fenders, front bumper and headlights.

also learn how to apply cquartz coating or other coating of your choice for rest of the car, there are so many videos on youtube for this thing also
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

If you have a garage, keep a bucket of soapy water in it and clean the bugs off as soon as you get home, just spray some QD on the car first. The quicker you get them off the easier it will be to get them off.