Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

10-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Paint Protection Film

What do you all think of paint protection films? Everything is subjective but have you had it on your cars before, if so, would you do it again? What brand? Full car, part car? How effective from scratching and chipping? Any issues removing? What's it like to touch compared to bare metal? Can you see it (assuming edges not visible and no yellowing)?

If no paint protection, do you have chips/scratches on the car (state if you drive track, country or city)

Look forward to your thoughts and opinions.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 04:05 AM   #2
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

AJ from Ozicozi in Sydney did my wifes M4, and it looks great. She got full front end, full bonnet, mirrors. Looks great, you can't really see it at all. Much better than the crap oem stuff BMW put on next to the rear wheels which is really obvious and stands out.

I have had it on my racecars and rally cars over the years. It works well. If you get a really big stone it can damage the protection film, but the paint underneath is ok. If you have to remove the product it is a bit of a job but comes of with no marks.

I have had a couple of accidents in rally cars where the it has literally held the whole front bar together

Some of the old product years ago used to yellow a bit with age, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

The trick to not seeing seams is to completely cover a surface, eg full bonnet instead of half. Also you get a better cosmetic look if it is done when the car is in pristine new condition.

AJ is a great guy. He does most of the ferraris, lambos and exotic new deliveries in sydney, so knows what he is doing. Highly recommended
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks mate... Thinking if I do the whole car or similar to your wife and only the front
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Had a friend who did the whole car on a lotus, looks good
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
Had a friend who did the whole car on a lotus, looks good
Could you see any seams or edges on the full car? How does the gloss compare between a car covered with film and one with out (or a large panel as it may be)?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 03:55 AM   #6
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpelton View Post
Could you see any seams or edges on the full car? How does the gloss compare between a car covered with film and one with out (or a large panel as it may be)?
I've seen quite a few cars that have been done. You can always see the seams if you look hard enough, but generally they are not obvious unless you look. It tends to look worse when dusty, as the dust tends to accumulate around the seams. Also, some colours are better/worse than others.

On my wifes car you can't tell the difference in gloss between covered and uncovered areas.

Best thing is to give AJ at Ozicozi a ring. He's the expert, and can talk you through it all. You can probably go to his workshop and have a look at examples
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #7
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
I've seen quite a few cars that have been done. You can always see the seams if you look hard enough, but generally they are not obvious unless you look. It tends to look worse when dusty, as the dust tends to accumulate around the seams. Also, some colours are better/worse than others.

On my wifes car you can't tell the difference in gloss between covered and uncovered areas.

Best thing is to give AJ at Ozicozi a ring. He's the expert, and can talk you through it all. You can probably go to his workshop and have a look at examples
Appreciate the insight, will def reach out to AJ.
Appreciate 0